Comic Book Religion: Which is your favorite?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This page of the thread inspired me to rewatch that series. I'm through Season 1 already and its bringing back a lot of memories. I forgot how dark and deep it was. I'm really enjoying my rewatch.
It really is the definition of what Startrek was meant to be, as noted elsewhere...

Gene Roddenberry was someone that the creators of DS9 often debated on trying to reflect since they didn't feel his original vision of the Trek universe was the most realistic - although they felt the DS9 series was more than connected in many ways when seeing some things Gene held central.

DS9 was most definitely not your parents’ Star Trek – and that was surely the goal of the show’s creators/executive producers, Rick Berman and the late Michael Piller, as well as Ira Steven Behr were trying to be honorable toward Gene. Berman informed Roddenberry of his plans for DS9 shortly before Roddenberry’s death in 1991, and Roddenberry’s wife, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry gave her de facto blessing by appearing on the show as her TNG character, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry.

That said, IMHO, DS9 was the best series of the expanded Star Trek universe. And anyone who even remotely likes DS9 would likely enjoy Babylon 5.

The multiple-episode story arcs and he character arcs - from what occurred with the development of the Emissary to Worf/Martok and the Klingon Empire to Garak and the Cardassians, the Founders/Dominion, the Dominion War, the Prophets/Bajor and the ways that DS9 was so significant in Trek History....it was truly amazing. It felt like DS9 was more of a Western. The Next Generation was likeWagon Train in space, whereas Deep Space Ninewas like The Riflemanin space – a man and his son coming to a dilapidated town on the edge of a new frontier.:)

It showed the world of Startrek as being more gritter than than what others were comfortable with. I loved how the show broke the "standard format" for Star Trek shows a number of times as well, with a direct, first-person narrative providing the commentary for the episode "In the Pale Moonlight", a retelling of a classic TOS episode from a different angle in "Trials and Tribble-ations", life in the racially segregated 1950s in "Far Beyond the Stars" (which tripped many out at the concept that Startrek universe was perhaps the dream of one struggling writer trying to dream big), and brought the concept of "Black Ops"/Shadow governments maintaining "paradise" to the Star Trek Universe with Section 31 - as seen in the episode "Inquisition".

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
represents the reality of what it means to experience being a Christian Atheist - or a Theistic Atheist in that one believes in God/the Creator and yet still feels the tension of being alone in the battle of being expected to serve as your Creator demands and yet feeling like it's largely on you (as discussed before here).

Sorry, I linked your love of aqua man and your description above into "your religious understanding."

Clearly I read into it something that wasn't there.

The question still stands about the meaning of an "Christian Atheist."

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I linked your love of aqua man and your description above into "your religious understanding."

Clearly I read into it something that wasn't there.

The question still stands about the meaning of an "Christian Atheist."
The subject of comics/the characters within them in this thread is an issue of exploring religious ideologies that can be appreciated - and have parallels to certain things Christians may believe. As a basic, I may have things in common with someone who's Atheist - but that does not mean that I am an atheist for having a point of agreement. There are moments I believe in God and do not have any doubts - and other moments where it feels like you're on your own in this existence and therefore live like there's nothing to hope for. That's the experience of Aquaman and why I appreciate him as a character.

Other readers have already gotten this very basic understanding so there's no real need to expound further on the matter. And to be clear, the meaning of "Christian Atheist" isn't unclear - unless you chose NOT to check out the link given where description occurred.

Again, If you would like to know or anyone else, you can go here - and again, Some of this I've shared on before here:

... there actually are groups of people within the camp such as Christian atheism.

If you're aware of people like Thomas Hobbs, there is actually a lot of overt expression with Christian Atheism within the religious ideas of Thomas Hobbes...more discussed within the book known as Religion, Politics and Thomas Hobbes By George Wright and 'Hobbes's Views on Religion and the Church between The Elements of Law and Leviathan: A Dramatic Change of Direction?

More specifically, Christian Atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the God of Christianity is rejected or absent but the moral teachings of Jesus are followed....much of it actually similar to what you'd find in Deism (also known as Moralistic Therapeutic Deism )/much of what the Founding Fathers were about....and similar to what many have spoken about within the world of Christianity when it comes to others who actually claim Christ and yet ignore what he was actually about and live as if he's not real.

Pastor Craig Groeschel--- Practical Atheist - YouTube
Craig Groeschel - The Christian Atheist Audiobook Ch. 1 - YouTube
Glad it was understood....

Others don't see where things can seem similar with theistic agnosticism ( someone who believes in gods, but thinks that they could not know for sure that their god exists) and Christian Atheism (at least the variation I'm speaking of where one says they acknowledge Christ/God is real and yet largely as if they are on their own like he doesn't exist). Wonder Woman in the comics is very reverent of the Greek Pantheon - but Aquaman couldn't care less most of the time even in knowing...

aquaman.jpg

6f7f278ed9969d4bf0f729e95cc75239.jpg
And beyond those things mentioned, the other side of Christian Atheism can be seen at those moments where you are simply NOT sure of things - otherwise known as the Dark Night of the Soul. Some of this was laid out before in conversations on Orthodoxy, as noted here.

Orthodoxy is also about looking in preparation for the life to come, not expecting suffering to not exist in this life or being surprised by it when looking at the example of Christ and what He went through. If going into Orthodoxy and thinking suffering or things we'd have to wrestle in would not be present, then one can be quickly disappointed - and yet the same thing goes for having seasons of doubt or darkness come up. I can get having times of wondering how close one is to the Lord - or even feeling God is absent. The Dark Night of the Soul moments when it feels we're losing our faith - and in that sense alone can I see someone having moments where atheism seems quite real.

...it was a wrestle some time ago when I had many questions I wasn't certain on. Of course, one priest noted to me how there's the reality that being in the Desert is essentially where I was at when it came to having to have those dark times of struggle/questions in order to better see who God is..

The dynamic of the Dark Night of the Soul (as St. Anthony knew well - having locked himself away for years to find deliverance from demonic oppression/wrestlings and later coming out delivered).

And learning from the Desert Fathers has been amazing for me. To consider that tears can be a form of worship is amazing to me - especially when considering the ways that experiencing the struggle is a form of experiencing what Christ himself had to go through. I'm reminded of the following:

I cannot stop my mind from thinking tempting thoughts. The mind is like a watermill which turns continuously just as the river driving it flows continuously. But I can choose to feed the grinding millstone with either wheat [scripture, spiritual nourishment] or tares [temptation].

....Abandoning community when dejection [re: Dark Night of the Soul] envelopes me only ensures that the problem will surface in some other circumstances.

(John Cassian)

This should be more than sufficient and has been shared before...

And yes, I do appreciate characters like Aquaman :)

aquamansubdiego25.jpg

aquamaneel19.jpg

aquamaneel20.jpg

aquamaneel21.jpg

3454787-water2.jpg

3742202-1878801601-37385.jpg

4671880-aquaman+(2011-)+041-017.jpg

4644285-aqm_41_5.jpg

4792540-tumblr_nu68n1xk6p1sr7281o2_1280.jpg

4909010-aquamanlightning.jpg

And of course, with his struggle in being a king, it is a never-ending battle for the character and he is so enduring.

3574613-aquaman+%2324+-+page+3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Technically, there were others besides Batman who resisted Superman - as they were willing to not justify whatever Sups did in the name of peace simply because he said he stood for "justice."

But with Wonder Woman, she showed how she would be if she (like other Amazonians) chose not to restrain themselves when it came to their distaste for man's world and wanting to bring justice to mankind. Obviously, from the standard D.C Universe, we know that Wonder Woman is often portrayed as admirable/calm...in light of the background she hailed from.

tumblr_lgb6toa9yN1qghc3qo1_500.jpg

Nonetheless, As other Amazons had no issue with attacking the world, it's no surprise that Diana would be willing to do the same in this one...plus they have already showed her in violent presentations before in series such as Flashpoint alongside showing the Amazons going to war

AT4W: Amazons Attack #1 and 2 (1of2) - YouTube

AT4W: Amazons Attack #1 and 2 (2of2) - YouTube

tumblr_ljpjoyzRzr1qbujox.gif

1HuHenn.jpg

Of course we understand that in the traditional world of D.C, Wonder Woman is a Diplomat and peace-maker..as well as an effective warrior

waED88U.jpg

wonder-woman-armour-concept-design-by-cliff-chiang.jpg

Something I came across that was very fascinating, from AME-Comic. More specifically, "AME-COMI GIRLS is based on the best-selling product line from DC Collectibles that brings the distinct Japanese influence of anime and manga to DC Comics’ female heroines and their foes." The story of Wonder Woman is excellent and the art by others like Amanda Conner is nice...

dicover.PNG

2365443-screen_shot_2012_05_25_at_5.36.47_pm.png

A comic strip centred on DC heroines as interpreted for manga-style statues? Now there's an off the wall idea.

But here's a terrific digital first comic. Writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray reinterpret the classic tale of the Amazon Princess who wants to grow beyond the restrictions placed upon her by her mother, and gets her chance when war breaks out. In 1941, it was the Second World War, and Diana left Paradise Island to fight Nazis in Man's World. In this 2012 take, it's her own home she's defending as soldiers from 'the sovereign nation of Kasnia' parachute onto Themyscira.

But that's the end of this opening chapter. Before that we have Steve Trevor briefing the President on why he should be the man to make first contact with the legendary lost nation of the Amazons; Diana training with minotaurs; a warning from the Oracle; and the young princess being confined to her quarters.

The snappy script is brought to vibrant life by Amanda Conner, whose widescreen depiction of the Amazons is more in line with traditional Wonder Woman than the statue had me expecting. Her Diana's a firebrand, but not without humour and compassion. Hippolyta is the stern warrior queen, while Steve is as blond and dashing as you could wish. The minotaurs are magnificent, fearsome and sheepish by turns, as personality-filled as all the other animals Conner draws. The island itself is a Graeco-Roman wonderland, the fight choreography thrilling. And it's all sumptuously coloured by Paul Mounts (click on image to enlarge).

AmeComiWonderWoman1-rszd_0.jpg

ACWW01_pg012.jpg

digiww.PNG

ACWW01_pg014.jpg

Picture+8.png

ACWW01_pg021.jpg

The Amazons talk a bloodier fight than I'd like, but that seems to be the DC line in any incarnation of Wonder Woman these days. I have a problem with Diana bashing Amazon guard Areto (Deeto?) so she can slip away to defend the island - I'm sure her friend would have been up for the fight. And, dash it, there are horses, there are deer, there are kitties - but no kangas! Overall, though, I love this to bits. It's a glorious take on Wonder Woman's world by creators who understand that she was created to star in big, bright adventures, not to be a bit player in a grisly Olympian soap. Given the Gray/Palmiotti/Conner/Mount team's success in making Power Girl as likeable as she is powerful, I can't wait to see where they go with Diana.

WBGVcFs.jpg

heA4sUO.jpg

hdKIPu4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Technically, there were others besides Batman who resisted Superman - as they were willing to not justify whatever Sups did in the name of peace simply because he said he stood for "justice."

But with Wonder Woman, she showed how she would be if she (like other Amazonians) chose not to restrain themselves when it came to their distaste for man's world and wanting to bring justice to mankind. Obviously, from the standard D.C Universe, we know that Wonder Woman is often portrayed as admirable/calm...in light of the background she hailed from..

Nonetheless, As other Amazons had no issue with attacking the world, it's no surprise that Diana would be willing to do the same in this one...plus they have already showed her in violent presentations before in series such as Flashpoint alongside showing the Amazons going to war

1HuHenn.jpg

Of course we understand that in the traditional world of D.C, Wonder Woman is a Diplomat and peace-maker..as well as an effective warrior

waED88U.jpg

RkGLLfA.jpg

fyTRihj.jpg

And of course, others appreciate her for being explictly feminist...

XVVFvap.jpg

Woman Woman is deeply complex but has never been against resorting to violence if she felt it was necessary - more discussed in ladybusiness | Guest Post: You?re a wonder, Wonder Woman

Super excited for the new Wonder Woman film coming out, as it looks stellar...

wonder-woman-00001-190337.jpg

wonderwoman-firstposter.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I'm excited for the Wonder Woman film. :D I think my earliest interest in Wonder Woman (and Greek mythology, incidentally) began with the original animated run of Justice League in 2001-2004. And personally, I think Gal Gadot is a great pick for this feature film. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm excited for the Wonder Woman film. :D I think my earliest interest in Wonder Woman (and Greek mythology, incidentally) began with the original animated run of Justice League in 2001-2004. And personally, I think Gal Gadot is a great pick for this feature film. :)
Gal Gadot played the role flawlessly and truly owns the part. I thought it was epic with the way they took Greek Mythology and brought it into the animated Justice League - DC has so much mythology in it!

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Gal Gadot played the role flawlessly and truly owns the part. I thought it was epic with the way they took Greek Mythology and brought it into the animated Justice League - DC has so much mythology in it!

I'll be the first to admit I've been on the Marvel hype train for about five years now (they just keep releasing fun movies) but DC was my first real exposure to superheroes with the Batman: The Animated Series and later trailing to Justice League. The latter was my first real exposure to Greek mythology and mythology in general which was some of the earliest times I have recalling an interest in spiritual matters. It's funny how its all connected when I look back at it.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'll be the first to admit I've been on the Marvel hype train for about five years now (they just keep releasing fun movies) but DC was my first real exposure to superheroes with the Batman: The Animated Series and later trailing to Justice League. The latter was my first real exposure to Greek mythology and mythology in general which was some of the earliest times I have recalling an interest in spiritual matters. It's funny how its all connected when I look back at it.
Marvel got a good head-start, beginning with the first film they made called "Blade" (with Wesley Snipes) in 98. Truly among the best Marvel films ever - story line intense with regards to vampires being present in the Marvel Universe). But as it concerns Marvel's universe, DC was always something I was very selective with and my main favorites were Batman. So to see them try to catch up has been interesting. Batman: The Animated Series will ALWAYS be among the classics (as I used to own it before giving it away) and a must have for any one serious on the character - and the same goes with Justice League.

But both series do an amazing job detailing legends at various points.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Considering Stereotypes, in light of all the mess happening with Standing Rock and the Pipeline after seeing Native Americans being violated in their land rights (and also seeing the same historically), I thought this was fascinating with how they brought Captain America into the Native American context (more here).

virginiadare4.jpg

For one of the things happening in the comics (seeing Native Americans as truly worthy of the 'Captain America' title):

16298832_10102687434137473_1575320878346329067_n.jpg

16265821_10102687438623483_3674800244431420904_n.jpg

"The Captain America of Earth-460 proved to be a thorn in the side of the United States-ruling Purple Man. Unable to kill the Captain, he instead had him sent into the past of Earth-616, specifically the late 16th century. Once in that era, Rogers lived with the local Native Americans in what was to be known as Virginia and taught them what he knew about his present time, his language, and, most importantly, the near annihilation of the Native American people. In this new world, Rogers participated in helping the early Roanoke colony settlers (thanks to him, the colonists did not disappear in 1587) to survive their new environs. During this time, he met a very young Virginia Dare (the first child to born in America), whom he befriends. Rogers regarded her as the most important person of that time; she was a representation of the America in which he believed. Rogers kept his identity a secret from the Europeans and made a new identity as Rojhaz (pronounced "Ro-gers"; a bastardization of his last name). The colonists then assumed that he was descended from "Welsh Indians" that first settled in America given his obvious racial identity among the Natives. However, despite giving him a chance to live in an America where he could prevent from becoming the dystopian nation of his time, Steven Rogers' arrival caused the other heroes and villains to be created in the early 16th century, resulting in the subsequent destabilization of reality.

In 1602, Rogers escorted the young Virginia as she made herself an ambassador to Queen Elizabeth. When escaping from James I and returning to America, Rogers revealed his true identity to Virginia and Clea Strange. Reality was fixed when Captain America was returned to his own timeline by Nicholas Fury (who was apparently sent back to the same time), and the alternate history he unwittingly created was preserved as a new dimension called Earth-311.

Despite Rogers' permanent absence, the Native Americans remembered what he had told them and were close to war with the Roanoke colonists in order to protect their existence. Luckily, all hostilities were ended peacefully and some Natives were accepted as representatives in the colony's government" ( http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Steven_Rogers_(Earth-460) )

In 1602, Rogers escorted the young Virginia as she made herself an ambassador to Queen Elizabeth. When escaping from James I and returning to America, Rogers revealed his true identity to Virginia and Clea Strange. Reality was fixed when Captain America was returned to his own timeline by Nicholas Fury (who was apparently sent back to the same time), and the alternate history he unwittingly created was preserved as a new dimension called Earth-311.

Despite Rogers' permanent absence, the Native Americans remembered what he had told them and were close to war with the Roanoke colonists in order to protect their existence. Luckily, all hostilities were ended peacefully and some Natives were accepted as representatives in the colony's government"
Thankful they made "Marvel 1602" in regards to showing Captain America as a Native American. One of the most epic story lines ever:

latest

84387-177071-captain-america.png

Rojhaz+Time+Traveller.bmp

latest

Rojhaz.jpg

iZ4HZMR.jpg

4dda9030ce4dd.jpg

profili.jpg

1602-virginia.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Forgot to mention from earlier stories similar to the ones which had religions set up around others taming primitive worlds - with this one being a reflection of Native American Religions...AS one of my favorite characters is known as Turok the Dinosaur Hunter. He's a Native American hero who was sent to a world known as the Lost World....and for more info, Turok refers to any individuals who have attained the title of "Turok" or have been given such name in various media, comics, movies, etc. Turok was a comic series that began in the early 1950s and lasted all the way until the early 80s. ...and as another noted best, "At the time of its inception, back when Life ran their famous World We Live In issue, with sprawling prehistoric murals by paleo-artist Rudolph Zallinger, dinosaurs were all the rage, as were American Indians (now called Native Americans). So this comic combined the tow to great effect."

For more information, one can examine Native Americans in Comic Books: A Critical Study

a726bdb05c6dd8c540016b9d345b5527_l.jpg

Page29.jpg

Throughout history, a Native American family lineage has secretly protected Earth from the invasion of races of evolved dinosaurs and other alien life forms which come from a world of constant chaos, The Lost Land of Galyanna.

20140223013736!Profile_picture_by_joshua_fireseed-d63rirb.jpg

358210-142207-turok.jpg

358207-80355-turok.jpg

Glad I was able to come across more as it concerns the original Turok comic series.....

latest

latest

latest

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gladiator (Kallark ), once the Praetor of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard of the Shiar Empire and now the current ruler of it ....a true man of honor.

Due to the power his culture realized that Phoenix had and how much it was abused, he decided to come address Scott - and the power of the Deity Phoenix was one of the reason Gladiator came to Earth to try and stop the Phoenix Force (as the Shiar had gone to extremes before - even wiping out all of Jean Grays family line to keep it from coming back) and yet was beaten badly...

WolverineAndTheXMen_13_Preview1.jpg

WOLVXMEN2011013_int_LR-2.jpg

warbird5.jpg

2610917-wolverinex_men_zone_020.jpg

Wxm13a.jpg

waxm131.jpg

gladiator.jpg

2857448-untitled_10.jpg

746154-2857449_wolverine_x_men_zone_0100.jpg

2462395-glads_vs_phoenix_cyke_copy.png

For anyone interested,

Glad my latest comic series was completed - on Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (Ed Brubaker’s Run on Uncanny X-Men – The Rise and Fall of the Shi’ar Empire (Review/Retrospective) ).

Marvel Comics has always done an amazing job developing its own "space age mythology" and to see the way they build on it is very intriguing.

The series covers the history of the lost brother of Scott Summers (Gabriel Summers) who was left to die by Professor X after being poorly trained to rescue the other X-Men....and then forgotten when Xavier mind-wiped Cyclops/the other XMen from even knowing he existed. It was wild to see him seek revenge on Xavier ....then take over the Sh'iar Empire who enslaved him as a child and lead the Empire into ruin via conquests and expansion.... political intrigue, bloodline battles and unusual alliances.

There are days I'm glad to go home and simply read things that make me think and visual culture is so necessary for social commentary - but when considering J.R Tolkein and C.S Lewis in the ways they used mythology/folklore to describe issues in their world they wanted to tackle, I love comic mythology and sequential art since it gives a means of conversation.

16406756_10102708631587613_3088195141717259643_n.jpg

16388223_10102708632066653_5893351673513747075_n.jpg

16487069_10102708631657473_7286479598588744723_o.jpg

16422535_10102708631867053_4898976648529835695_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

But with Wonder Woman, she showed how she would be if she (like other Amazonians) chose not to restrain themselves when it came to their distaste for man's world and wanting to bring justice to mankind. Obviously, from the standard D.C Universe, we know that Wonder Woman is often portrayed as admirable/calm...in light of the background she hailed from..

1HuHenn.jpg

waED88U.jpg

RkGLLfA.jpg

fyTRihj.jpg

New Wonder Woman movie will be EPIC!!!!!
18813929_10102972881343983_8533377800209024318_n.jpg

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The trailers I've seen of Wonder Woman look good, and it's gotten good feedback from reviewers.

Still, for a film like this to be released during this time leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Fortunately I've heard that the film doesn't bash men, and actually seems to exhibit equality when it comes to the characters. The female characters bad deeds actually have equal weight with the men character bad deeds, and it isn't full of unwarranted jabs at men. Still, not sure if I could sit in a theater for 2 some hours without feeling disgusted.

This is coming from a guy who loves the film Thelma And Louise. The film is a lot less offensive considering it came out in 1991 compared to 2017.

The guy who created Wonder Woman seemed to have a negative view about masculinity in general. Although disturbingly a lot of this views seemed to stem from the fact that he was a bondage freak who was obsessed with female submission. Which is why I think he had a shallow view of femininity in general. He never seemed to realize that women are attracted to men who exhibit toxic masculine traits. That women are fine with acts of violence and brute force, they just often want someone else to do the dirty work. That toxic masculine psychology is also expressed in feminine toxic psychology, albeit in different ways. The human species is intertwined, men and women didn't just evolve in complete separate paths.. lol.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The trailers I've seen of Wonder Woman look good, and it's gotten good feedback from reviewers.

Still, for a film like this to be released during this time leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Fortunately I've heard that the film doesn't bash men, and actually seems to exhibit equality when it comes to the characters. The female characters bad deeds actually have equal weight with the men character bad deeds, and it isn't full of unwarranted jabs at men. Still, not sure if I could sit in a theater for 2 some hours without feeling disgusted.

This is coming from a guy who loves the film Thelma And Louise. The film is a lot less offensive considering it came out in 1991 compared to 2017.

The guy who created Wonder Woman seemed to have a negative view about masculinity in general. Although disturbingly a lot of this views seemed to stem from the fact that he was a bondage freak who was obsessed with female submission. Which is why I think he had a shallow view of femininity in general. He never seemed to realize that women are attracted to men who exhibit toxic masculine traits. That women are fine with acts of violence and brute force, they just often want someone else to do the dirty work. That toxic masculine psychology is also expressed in feminine toxic psychology, albeit in different ways. The human species is intertwined, men and women didn't just evolve in complete separate paths.. lol.

Saw the film and thought it was actually rather excellent. But then again, that was just me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Movie was amazing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Saw the film and thought it was actually rather excellent. But then again, that was just me.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for when it's finally released on Amazon or Google play.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nope... never had an interest in comic book religion.
By that statement, I'd assume you do not watch any films from Marvel (i.e. X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, etc.) or DC (i.e. Superman/Man of Steel, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.) which are based on that. If that is the case, that's fine - but it makes a difference commenting on a topic you were not into or had experience with

Upvote 0