St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Texas Lynn

Some of the wowsers in the extremist wings of fundamentalism operate from an assumption that abortion clinic staff, gays/lesbians, inappropriate content stars and their crews, etc. are ipso facto non-Christians and nothing could be further from the truth. 

I guess I should change my name to wowser.

inappropriate content Stars are not Christian.

That is not to say that a inappropriate content star could not become a Chrisitan.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, an awful lot of speculation is going on here on very few details.

I would love to know: If someone posted and said:

"I used to work in sales for a large company, and sometimes may have sold people something that wasn't the best match for their need, but had a better commission. I did this to support my family. I didn't then, and don't now, feel that I was a good Christian at that time."

... Do you think we'd see the same level of condemnation of that decision?

Why or why not?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Stormy

What about liars? People who condemn? People who never correct a billing error that's in their favor?

Since when is sin a barrier to Christianity?

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Do you think we'd see the same level of condemnation of that decision?"

well just to be honest seebs, that effects far less people, and that is something entirely different. One is a sin, one is grey area.

The problem is you're comparing very visable sins that people commit intentionally and habitually as opposed to sins people do not always commit intentionally and habitually. Another point is one is very visable, the other is not (stumbling block syndrome). Yet ANOTHER point is its consequences.

"Since when is sin a barrier to Christianity?"

when you don't repent of it (ie turn away and go the other way). in this example if they became a christian they would stop being a inappropriate content star.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
OK Seebs:confused:

So you think that an active pron star can rightfully claim to be a Christian?

Or for that matter a used car salesman who deliberately rips people off?

IMO

You can not be a Christian and go on willfully and deliberately sinning without feeling regret and desire to change.

The Spirit is not manifested in you.

I really do not think that you mean that sin is OK for a Christian. But then again I have never heard you say anything was wrong. That is except for people who try to teach that Christianity is not to be taken lightly. People like me who do not think that we are to spit in the face of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Clay

Clay in the Potter's Hand
Feb 6, 2002
New Hampshire
Visit site
✟1,755.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by seebs
Since when is sin a barrier to Christianity?

Since Christ had to die for our sins to break that barrier.

"Be Ye Holy for I am Holy"

"By their fruits we shall know them"

repent means to change around, a 180 degree turn.  from the verses quoted, i would highly doubt a born again christian being a inappropriate content star.  "for what fellowship hath light with darkness?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK Seebs:confused:

So you think that an active pron star can rightfully claim to be a Christian?

Or for that matter a used car salesman who deliberately rips people off?

I think that anyone who sincerely believes in Christ and salvation can claim to be a Christian. I can't pick some sins and say "no, that's too bad, but a little white lie is okay".

IMO

You can not be a Christian and go on willfully and deliberately sinning without feeling regret and desire to change.

Sure. But who are we to judge whether someone feels enough regret? "I would rather not do this, it bothers me a lot" is regret.

I really do not think that you mean that sin is OK for a Christian. But then again I have never heard you say anything was wrong. That is except for people who try to teach that Christianity is not to be taken lightly. People like me who do not think that we are to spit in the face of the Lord.

This gets into a very large philosophical debate. I do not believe verbs that don't come with moral weighting on them (e.g., "murder" instead of "kill") can be called "right" or "wrong". I believe that sin is a question of your relationship with God and how something affects it. This appears to be an underlying difference in people; some people are raised to see *actions* as the basic unit of morality, other people see *intents* as the basic unit.

So, as an example: Giving money to a wino because you think it's funny to see him drink himself to death is sin. Giving money to the same guy because you hope he'll get some food and maybe get in out of the cold is not sin.

As to whether or not sin is "OK" for a Christian... Christians, like everyone else, *do* sin. The difference is, we're forgiven, and we are presumably trying to get out of it. However, I don't see any grounds for judging a Christian inappropriate content star that don't apply just as well to a Christian who is always smug and insulting, or a Christian who hates black people, or anything else. We all have sins, and most of us have sins that we are trapped in so deeply we haven't even understood them to be sins yet. Liberation from sin takes a long time, and really is only complete in Heaven.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Clay
Since Christ had to die for our sins to break that barrier.

"Be Ye Holy for I am Holy"

"By their fruits we shall know them"

repent means to change around, a 180 degree turn.  from the verses quoted, i would highly doubt a born again christian being a inappropriate content star.  "for what fellowship hath light with darkness?"

Huh. In that case, I guess I've never met a Christian yet. I'll keep looking. ;)

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"So, as an example: Giving money to a wino because you think it's funny to see him drink himself to death is sin. Giving money to the same guy because you hope he'll get some food and maybe get in out of the cold is not sin.
"

This is not a valid example in this context. The example should be, give a wino money knowing he will go use it to drink himself to death or give him money knowing he will but hopeing he won't. Both actions are wrong, regardless of the correct motivation.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Outspoken
"I wonder how many people think "what an ungodly woman", and how many think "what a terrific sacrifice; she must love her children very much".
"

to be honest I pity a person who thinks that is their only way out.

I'm not going to either defend myself nor express any more repentence than I've already done.  I will say I know it wasn't the "only" thing i could've done for income.

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"I'm not going to either defend myself nor express any more repentence than I've already done. I will say I know it wasn't the "only" thing i could've done for income."

Okay, well its between you and God :) there are many other paths you could have taken without compromising your values, though I can't make any concrete sugguestions since I wasn't there, though I have friends that have been in simlar situations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

That is not to say that a inappropriate content star could not become a Chrisitan. [

Not having walked in inappropriate content stars' shoes i won't judge them. 

IMO voting Republican is worse than any sexual impropriety.  Of course all people have their role to play in God's plans.  I do not dislike The President, though I disagree with his politics.

Upvote 0

euphoric

He hates these cans!!
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
✟8,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not having walked in inappropriate content stars' shoes i won't judge them.

Well done, others could take a lesson from you on that.

IMO voting Republican is worse than any sexual impropriety.  Of course all people have their role to play in God's plans.  I do not dislike The President, though I disagree with his politics.

And what if we vote Republican and commit sexual improprieties? :)

-brett

Upvote 0

euphoric

He hates these cans!!
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
✟8,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by seebs
Is that even *possible* if you don't have a TV ministry?

Yes, but if you do have one, then you have to figure out how to pay hookers with money from old ladies' Social Security checks despite the fact that you're always voting to reduce them.

-brett

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.