Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Outspoken
"Read the platforms, which should be on the DNC and RNC websites."

Been there done that. I Usually read it once or twice a year to keep up. Maybe you should point it out to me where it specifically addresses homosexuals. maybe I missed it?

MML.  The National Republican site is controlled by Bush loyalists (if you remember before he took office the President disavowed the right wing baggage in the platform and said he wasn't bound to it) so the national platform was excised.  They did however provide a link to the state parties and since I know the Texas GOP apparatus is controlled by Religious Right Extremists, I found the red meat you were looking for easily.  I would guess other state parties vary according to the degree of extremist control---Kentucky should be like Texas, but, probably not Connecticut, etc.):

Texas' 2002 GOP platform calls for (1) defining "the family" and marriage so as to exclude two-mommy and two-daddy households;  (2) opposing decriminalization of sodomy {which in Texas' Penal Code is defined to exclude sexual acts between heterosexuals and lesbians but only includes sexual acts between gay males};  opposing inclusion of gays and lesbians in civil rights protections including access to insurance and child custody.  There's a whole lot of other extremism there which is really scary now that for the first time since Reconstruction Republicans control both houses of the state legislature here, the executive, and the judiciary.  Good news, though:  the sodomy law is being reviewed by the Supreme Court and is possibly going down!

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by MyJhongFist
To my knowledge, no books are currently 'banned' in the US.  If there were any, I (being a Libertarian) would be one of the first to jump up and down about it. 

We aren't at the point of having religious police issuing a fatwa against American Salman Rushdies, but it's not for lack of trying by the extremists.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by O'Mara
the title of this thread makes me ill. Something about using the word "Christian."
And the word "inappropriate content" in the same line just doesn't seem right to me.

Actually we have one that fits the bill, though, for those who don't consider Jehovah's Witnesses or other door knockers to be Christians, it's probably not.  It's by Shadow Lane, I forget the title, but it concerns a naive neighborhood missionary woman who wakes up a hung-over stripper and therefore makes her angry.  I won't discuss the content but Shadow Lane's logo is a straightback chair and a paddle.  As usual, the acting is hardly Stanislavsky but during the uh, action, the theological implications of saving souls versus minding one's own business is stingingly debated.;)

Upvote 0
Originally posted by euphoric
I know what you mean.  I get a bit queasy at the idea that someone would ruin perfectly good inappropriate content by trying to toss religion into the mix.

-brett

You know, when I read that, I almost fell off my chair because I laughed so hard.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.