Changing the Bible Sabbath by presumption alone ?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And what is important and unusual is that Jesus is telling his disciples that this woman is an Israelite.​

Again you insert the idea based on preference... you are welcome to your preferences of course but nothing in the text says "this woman is an Israelite" nor is there any case in OT or NT where Israelites outside of Israel are called "dogs".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok so make sure you obey the Sabbath requirements Bob.

Kind of like "make sure you are not taking God's name in vain" or "bowing down before images"

No news here.

How many people have you put to death in obeying the Sabbath requirements?
JLB

Killing is not in the commandment - and even your own pro-Sunday "Baptist Confession of Faith" and "Westminster Confession of Faith" admit that the civil laws cannot be applied outside of the theocracy that created them.

The point remains

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Temple and the Levitical priesthood were integral to keeping the OC Sabbath

Not in the actual Bible - in fact we see Jews keeping Sabbath "by a river" at Philippi in Acts and in Synagogues.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And were the ten commandments part of the law that Paul revealed are now changed (Hebrews 7 and 8).​

No .. thus it is still a sin to take God's name in vain.
Hebrews 7 is specific - it refers to the law of the priests - and whose family/tribe can be priests.
Hebrews 8 says nothing at all about a change in law.

The way I understand it the Sabbath is to be kept holy by us, not made holy by us. The Sabbath is holy time and should be regarded as such , but how do we do that today. The command is to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

Exactly!

Under the law certain physical requirements were to be met. What are those requirements today. ... I just observe and respect that day as a memorial. The same with the Sabbath. I recognize it as holy time, the memorial of creation, and a full day of rest

1. .Worship -- as we see in Lev 23:3 and Isaiah 66:23
2. Rest from secular activity - Exodus 20:8-11, Isaiah 58:13
3. "The 7th day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)"

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Was the 'woman at the well'; the "woman of Samaria"; in John 4 a Samaritan or an Israelite? There is a strong similarity between the two encounters.
Physically Samaritan. She is a type of the church, but that is a lengthy sermon. She becomes a spiritual Israelite. She believes.

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Adam Clarke has it wrong. ...
Without getting into what Adam Clarke said [at all, because it was neither my intent to discuss him either positively or negatively, neither any of the others, but the commentaries were given you, since you seem to be writing your own], since I never stated that any commentary that I provided was right or wrong in anything. I simply provided you the links to other commentaries that you may consider on your own. This thread is not about Adam Clarke. This thread isn't even about the Canaanite Syrophenician woman or her daughter.

This thread is about the false ideology of antichrist [Daniel 9:27 KJB], which thinks to change times and laws of the Most High God, and thus seeks to supplant the true Holy day of God, the 7th day the Sabbath of the LORD thy God, with another, by presumption [that is to say, upon self-authority alone, and without a single scripture [KJB] or commandment from God to do so]. Thus God's Word [the Creator] against the word of the creature.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Without getting into what Adam Clarke said [at all, because it was neither my intent to discuss him either positively or negatively, neither any of the others, but the commentaries were given you, since you seem to be writing your own], since I never stated that any commentary that I provided was right or wrong in anything. I simply provided you the links to other commentaries that you may consider on your own. This thread is not about Adam Clarke. This thread isn't even about the Canaanite Syrophenician woman or her daughter.

This thread is about the false ideology of antichrist [Daniel 9:27 KJB], which thinks to change times and laws of the Most High God, and thus seeks to supplant the true Holy day of God, the 7th day the Sabbath of the LORD thy God, with another, by presumption [that is to say, upon self-authority alone, and without a single scripture [KJB] or commandment from God to do so]. Thus God's Word [the Creator] against the word of the creature.

Very few outside of Judaism keep the OC Sabbath. Does this mean that the Jews are the true church?

How is the Sabbath command to be written on our hearts instead of on the stone of the OC? We know how almost all of the other commandments have been changed under the NC; all except the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Was the 'woman at the well'; the "woman of Samaria"; in John 4 a Samaritan or an Israelite? There is a strong similarity between the two encounters.

Well in John 4 Jesus said to the woman at the well "you worship what you do not know"

22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."

However she was much closer to be a half-cousin of Jews than the gentile woman from Syrophoenicia.

And the reason for pointing to all this Bible detail is to affirm the John 3:16 point "God so loved the WORLD that He gave" -- not just-Jews loved before the resurrection of Christ.

In the Psalms "God blesses us that all the world will fear Him"
Ps 67:7

1 John 4:14 "God sent His Son to be the savior of the WORLD" -- yes "really"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Very few outside of Judaism keep the OC Sabbath. Does this mean that the Jews are the true church?

Seventh-day Adventists alone are larger than the Jewish religion (In fact Christianity Today published in 2015 that the Adventists are the 5th largest Christian denomination in the world) - and there are many other Bible Sabbath keeping groups posting on this area of the board - than just Seventh-day Adventists.

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How is the Sabbath command to be written on our hearts instead of on the stone

Matt 7 "hear these Words of mine AND do them" -- Christ always points out that it is both hearing and applying what is taught - in action.

The Sabbath does not differ in that regard to any of the other Ten Commandments - and even you claim you try to keep that commandment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Very few outside of Judaism keep the OC Sabbath. ...
Not a single Jew can actually keep the 7th day the Sabbath in its fulness without Christ Jesus. It is His day. It is the Sabbath of the LORD. Thus one needs the "LORD" to keep it holy.

... Does this mean that the Jews are the true church? ...
Nope.

... How is the Sabbath command to be written on our hearts instead of on the stone of the OC? ...
By the same author, the Holy Ghost/Spirit. Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:8-13, 10:16; Ezekiel 36:25-28, 37:26-28; 2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJB, etc.

... We know how almost all of the other commandments have been changed under the NC ...
"changed"? Please explain.

God said:

Psalms 89:34 KJB - My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
If you mean 'explained' in their minute detail, in all their spiritual [Romans 7:14 KJB] depth [Psalms 119:96 KJB]. I would agree. Changed in their word? No.

Matthew 5:18 KJB - For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.​

If you refer to Hebrews 7:11,12, etc KJB that deals with Levitical laws, from shadow sacrifices to the real sacrifice. The shadow priests to the real priest. From wordly temple to the Real Heavenly, wherein is the real and original Law of God in the real Ark - The ARK of the Covenant HAS BEEN FOUND since AD 1844! The Sabbath Commandment [Ex. 20:8-11] is seen!

... all except the Sabbath.
The Law of God, and His Sabbath is as unchanged as God is unchanging - Malachi 3:6; Psalms 102:27; Hebrews 1:12, 13:8 KJB.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
First, 'for humor' (I HOPE!)
Not a single Jew can actually keep the 7th day
Do you mean only MARRIED ones! !? haha :)

It is the Sabbath of the LORD. Thus one needs the "LORD" to keep it holy.
Goyim, gentiles, have been able to keep the Sabbath ever since , well, Yahweh provided that they can and should ; not only Jews !

Jesus said "I know you (listeners/disciples) DON'T KNOW HOW (to live); COME TO ME and I WILL SHOW YOU HOW" .....

JESUS also said this very clearly :
The Law of God, and His Sabbath is as unchanged as God is unchanging - Malachi 3:6; Psalms 102:27; Hebrews 1:12, 13:8 KJB.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"changed"? Please explain.

The new covenant law is the antithesis of the old. Many believe that while the OC rituals were done away the ten commandments remain in force as written. Paul disagrees.

Romans 7:6-8 King James Version (KJV)

6 "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

Ephesians 4:28
"Let him that stole steal no more (old covenant): but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth (new covenant)."

Paul often uses the phrase "God forbid" when discussing the law, meaning that many thoughts are just 'unthinkable'. In this regard I never think about "thou shalt not steal, or any other command for that matter. I am immersed fully in the new covenant understanding of (most) of the ten commandments and rarely if ever have the need to remind myself that I might have fallen "under the letter (the condemnation) of the law".

The letter of the law keeps the Christian from going backward, backsliding. But it is the spirit and intent of the law that keeps us moving forward in our conversion. Most Christians understand this as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well in John 4 Jesus said to the woman at the well "you worship what you do not know"

22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."

However she was much closer to be a half-cousin of Jews than the gentile woman from Syrophoenicia.

And the reason for pointing to all this Bible detail is to affirm the John 3:16 point "God so loved the WORLD that He gave" -- not just-Jews loved before the resurrection of Christ.

In the Psalms "God blesses us that all the world will fear Him"
Ps 67:7

1 John 4:14 "God sent His Son to be the savior of the WORLD" -- yes "really"

Yes, God has called everyone, but in their own order.

The Jews first.
Then Israel.
Then the Gentiles.

Jesus (earthly) ministry was only to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel", not to the Gentiles. That would come later through the established church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Killing is not in the commandment - and even your own pro-Sunday "Baptist Confession of Faith" and "Westminster Confession of Faith" admit that the civil laws cannot be applied outside of the theocracy that created them.

The point remains

Please post the scripture that says the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments in The New Testament has changed from the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments under the Old Covenant?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[

She, and the "woman of Canaan" were the "lost sheep" that the good shepherd "leave the ninety and nine" to find and return safely to the flock.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Numbers 15 (KJV)

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please post the scripture that says the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments in The New Testament has changed from the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments under the Old Covenant?

No such thing --

Have you actually read the 4th commandment in the OT?? Try Exodus 20:8-11.

It is "unchanged"... still.

But the civil laws (which in fact are not listed in the Ten Commandments) are only valid under a theocracy - as even your own pro-Sunday "Baptist Confession of Faith" and "Westminster Confession of Faith" admit that the civil laws cannot be applied outside of the theocracy that created them.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 15 (KJV)

Is it your claim that Numbers 15 is where the TEN Commandments are - and is not a place to find the civil laws that were applicable under Israel's national theocracy?

the civil laws (which in fact are not listed in the Ten Commandments) are only valid under a theocracy - as even your own pro-Sunday "Baptist Confession of Faith" and "Westminster Confession of Faith" admit that the civil laws cannot be applied outside of the theocracy that created them.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the "woman of Canaan" were the "lost sheep" .

Christ specifically states that the syrophoenician woman was not one of the "lost sheep of Israel" rather she was a gentile - living in a gentile country and the contrast between "children" and "dogs" that Christ made --- was a contrast between Jews and gentiles.

Upvote 0