Veteran
Aug 18, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
✟2,312.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm having some career movement concerns over here and I'm not sure where I should turn even though the path looks so clear now. I just do not want to make any mistakes and I needed some advice. I'm a software developer and would like to build a career as well as looking for overseas opportunity. I'm an Australian graduate, worked for 9 years now and is looking forward to migrate back to Australia for good.

Here is the scenario:
Current Company:
It's a newly start-up company and everything is not really in place as yet. However, there were some conflicts between colleagues and the whole situation had turn so sour. I do not think I want to go in details on this and I had been very upset. I've been working here since December 2006 and the reason why I join them is because they took me to Australia for business trips and it will be beneficial for my plans to move back to Australia some day. Here, I'm doing some simple development jobs with Delphi.
New Company's Offer:
I get to be involved in .NET platform and leading the team as what I did before I join the current company. The package is not as good as the current company and I get to travel to both Japan and Bangkok.
My Plans:
Knowing that in order to get a job secured in Australia, I need .NET experience and without that, it's very hard for me to move on. If I'm applying for a system analyst position in Australia, yes, I can do it but, my title throughout my work experience is not sufficient to secure me a job as a system analyst in Australia. I still need to have the .NET work experience which I don't have. I wanted to take up the new company's offer and apply for my Permanent Residency visa to go back to Australia and by then, I would have some experience in the .NET environment. I do realise that, even if I have a clear mind on business workflow and so on, it doesn't matter much.

What is your advice?

heavensangelwv

• Who am I, O Lord God? •
Jul 1, 2007
West Virginia
✟48,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I unfortunately have very limited knowledge on computer programing; however, I have had to make the difficult choice of changing my future career plans. I understand that it may not have been as dramatic of a change as changing employers will be for you, but during my freshman year of college I realized that I was becoming a doctor for all the wrong reasons. It is a profession which I knew I would not really enjoy, but the money was so tempting. I love chemistry, and I knoew that I wanted to do something with it (I was a Pre-Med: Chemistry major). So, I prayed about it, and it did not take long at all for my answer to come even though I did not entirely accept it at first. I had never wanted to be a teacher; I had never even taken it into consideration. But, every time I thought of possible careers, the only think that came to mind was teaching. After a few weeks I gave in and changed my major to Secondary Education: Chemistry 9-Adult. At this point in my life I did not particularly have a lot of patience, and I was a very shy person. The thought of speaking in front of a class every day terrified me. But, I asked God to help me through this if teaching is really what He wanted me to do. Two years later I am not where near as shy as I have been my entire life, and speaking in front of a classroom is not a fear of mine anymore. To make a long story short... I turned my unhappiness over to God and allowed God to lead me in the way that He could use me. I do not know what His plan for me is yet, but I trust that if I continue to follow Him everything will work out just right in the end. You need to really ask God what He wants you to do... He will never lead you in the wrong direction. I will keep you in my prayers. :prayer:

Upvote 0