St. Louis, MO.
✟374,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When a 64-year-old Australian woman was sent to hospital for brain surgery, neurosurgeon Dr. Hari Priya Bandi was not expecting to pull out a live 8-centimeter (3-inch) long parasitic roundworm that wriggled between her forceps...

Molecular tests confirmed it was Ophidascaris robertsi, a roundworm usually found in pythons, according to a press release from the Australian National University and the Canberra Hospital.

“To our knowledge, this is also the first case to involve the brain of any mammalian species, human or otherwise,” said Senanayake, who is also a professor at Australian National University.

She'd been sick for a couple of years. It began with abdominal pain, diarrhea, cough and fever. She later had depression and memory problems. Lucky for her, with proper neurosurgical care, she was able to worm her way out. :oldthumbsup:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/29/australia/australia-parasitic-worm-brain-scn-intl-hnk/index.html

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats just so gross, can't imagine. You can even do a search on articles a couple of years back where they want to encourage Florida residents to eat pythons (mostly because they are an invasive species). But the only concern I saw raised was about the mercury levels in them and zeo concern about any parasites that could possibly grow in your brain from eating them. I dont even know if thats how you can get one (by eating one or not) but who knows with all the cultural diversity being brought in there are some cultures that eat snakes and who can know for sure whats on the menu at all times?

CNN had this article 2 years back

I wonder if they have considered it safe yet?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cook your python thoroughly, people!

....on BBC radio, some dude was theorizing the victim, who apparently collected and handled grasses, was infected by a grass contaminated by python dung.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....on BBC radio, some dude was theorizing the victim, who apparently collected and handled grasses, was infected by a grass contaminated by python dung.
Mm hmm. Now they want us to be afraid of the grass.

• Haha
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't even compile mine.
Well played sir!

...although, still less painful than javascript

1693350801582.png

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This conversation is really off-putting....and yet I can't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I was gonna say, "Kookooburra" but then I googled it:

This is what my place sounds like 3 or 4 times a day when the local kookaburras have a singing competition.

OB

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When a 64-year-old Australian woman was sent to hospital for brain surgery, neurosurgeon Dr. Hari Priya Bandi was not expecting to pull out a live 8-centimeter (3-inch) long parasitic roundworm that wriggled between her forceps...

Molecular tests confirmed it was Ophidascaris robertsi, a roundworm usually found in pythons, according to a press release from the Australian National University and the Canberra Hospital.

“To our knowledge, this is also the first case to involve the brain of any mammalian species, human or otherwise,” said Senanayake, who is also a professor at Australian National University.

She'd been sick for a couple of years. It began with abdominal pain, diarrhea, cough and fever. She later had depression and memory problems. Lucky for her, with proper neurosurgical care, she was able to worm her way out. :oldthumbsup:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/29/australia/australia-parasitic-worm-brain-scn-intl-hnk/index.html
How bizarre! Glad they were able to find this and remove it.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0