Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"A Canadian Christian school has been ordered by a public school board that it partners with to refrain from reading or studying “any scripture that could be considered offensive to particular individuals.” Included are passages from the New Testament that speak against fornication, adultery, idolatry, and witchcraft." https://www.lifesitenews.com/…/public-board-orders-christia…

It is just a matter of time before this begins here (in the U.S.), it is only the next logical step when looking at the PC culture we now live in. We have gone beyond just being politically correct... i.e. we have gone beyond trying to make sure we don't offend anyone who doesn't share our view and values. We have now made it a legal issue... to say something against one who exists outside our view and values (i.e. speaking out against homosexuality or witchcraft) is now against the law, legally it is known as "hate speech." Since the bible calls certain culturally accepted lifestyles "sin," then it is just a matter of time before those parts of the bible cannot be shared publicly and will become legally punishable when and if we do.

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Wow that is an interesting read. Christianity is definitely, and has been for quite some time, under attack. it seems as though every view is acceptable EXCEPT for those that Christians hold. I have just recently finished my Bachelors degree at a liberal arts University, and I can say from first hand experience that people are extremely intolerant of Christian views at times. I have been referred to as an "intolerant bigot" for expressing my views after being asked to do so by my discussion group. Political correctness is at a whole new (crazy) level, and it does not look like it will be getting better any time soon with the upcoming 'snowflake' generation. I am respectful of others' views, I simply expect the same courtesy in return.

Reactions: tripleseven
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow that is an interesting read. Christianity is definitely, and has been for quite some time, under attack. it seems as though every view is acceptable EXCEPT for those that Christians hold. I have just recently finished my Bachelors degree at a liberal arts University, and I can say from first hand experience that people are extremely intolerant of Christian views at times. I have been referred to as an "intolerant bigot" for expressing my views after being asked to do so by my discussion group. Political correctness is at a whole new (crazy) level, and it does not look like it will be getting better any time soon with the upcoming 'snowflake' generation. I am respectful of others' views, I simply expect the same courtesy in return.
Isn't it interesting that you are called a bigot and intolerant for sharing because you were ASKED, but their demeaning of you for sharing when asked is not intolerant or bigoted! :) What a world in which we live!

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it interesting that you are called a bigot and intolerant for sharing because you were ASKED, but their demeaning of you for sharing when asked is not intolerant or bigoted! :) What a world in which we live!
I know Ken Rank, that is honestly what I have found most interesting; I did not just blurt out my views or values (I believe the subject was homosexuality and transgender), but they specifically asked me to share them. Even recently someone referred to me as "uneducated", despite me being in a Masters program and them not even finishing High School. What a world we live in for sure...I guess the bible says in the last days it will be like Sodom and Gomorrah, I would say we get closer by the day.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know Ken Rank, that is honestly what I have found most interesting; I did not just blurt out my views or values (I believe the subject was homosexuality and transgender), but they specifically asked me to share them. Even recently someone referred to me as "uneducated", despite me being in a Masters program and them not even finishing High School. What a world we live in for sure...I guess the bible says in the last days it will be like Sodom and Gomorrah, I would say we get closer by the day.
If there was ever a better example of religious pride, it is found in the secular left. I know... I said religious pride.... but to many of them, their humanism is their religion and so they open themselves up to the same foul spirits we might find in a church that arrogantly believes their way is the only way.

So many in the church, and so many on the left... have this position.... "If it doesn't look, think, and act like I do, attack it." That is nothing but a spirit of pride and insecurity.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We are in a very dangerous time. The media is exonerating hate crimes against conservatives. HuffPo just ran a piece gloating that the student North Korea released, now dead, wasn't helped by his "white privilege". Scott Peley, news anchor, partially blamed Steve Scalise for the attempted massacre against him and the other Pubs. Since that shooting, other shots have been fired, and one conservative was stabbed nine times and may not make it, because he had a Trump bumper sticker, the perpetrators citing that he was "white". Marxist-inspired Leftist hatred has gone mainstream, and the violence to a critical degree is being approbated by our dominant institutions. That is a very dangerous combination in a public that is largely ignorant of history.

• Winner
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are in a very dangerous time. The media is exonerating hate crimes against conservatives. HuffPo just ran a piece gloating that the student North Korea released, now dead, wasn't helped by his "white privilege". Scott Peley, news anchor, partially blamed Steve Scalise for the attempted massacre against him and the other Pubs. Since that shooting, other shots have been fired, and one conservative was stabbed nine times and may not make it, because he had a Trump bumper sticker, the perpetrators citing that he was "white". Marxist-inspired Leftist hatred has gone mainstream, and the violence to a critical degree is being approbated by our dominant institutions. That is a very dangerous combination in a public that is largely ignorant of history.
Well said, all around.

• Friendly
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow that is an interesting read. Christianity is definitely, and has been for quite some time, under attack

Actually in the USA and Canada, Christianity is not under attack. In this instance, they are simply being asked to be polite especially to those who do not share their point of view. There is a simple solution --- simply end the partnership with the public board and then they are free to read any bible verses they might wish.

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually in the USA and Canada, Christianity is not under attack. In this instance, they are simply being asked to be polite especially to those who do not share their point of view. There is a simple solution --- simply end the partnership with the public board and then they are free to read any bible verses they might wish.
That is quite a bold statement to say Christianity is not under attack at all, especially considering it's been under attack since the early church age after Jesus ascended. I don't think that's accurate, but you're free to keep your opinion. :)

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed with that (ending the partnership) but I wouldn't say Christianity isn't being attacked.

• Agree
Reactions: Tsquared
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is quite a bold statement to say Christianity is not under attack at all, especially considering it's been under attack since the early church age after Jesus ascended. I don't think that's accurate, but you're free to keep your opinion. :)

A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For a great many centuries we Christians have had things their own way and have controlled society to such an extent that we have been able to impose our own agenda without challenge. However, when minority groups started demanding and recieving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. For example, extending marriage rights to homosexuals has not reduced the right of heterosexuals in the slightest way. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

If we examine the question of persecution historically we discover a somewhat different picture than is usually understood. The early Christians did endure persecution from the Roman authorities but it was not always and everywhere. It was in fact very patchy in both time and place. With Constantine that persecution was ended but over the next several centuries Christians launched a wide scale, vicious persecution against the pagans, particularly in but not limited to Western Europe. Once Christianity was firmly established and the pagans were thoroughly suppressed we turned to persecuting each other. It is only in the last century that Christians hav,e been experiencing persecution mostly in Asia and Africa.

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A fairly large block of my fellow Christians have what could be called an entitlement mentality. For a great many centuries we Christians have had things their own way and have controlled society to such an extent that we have been able to impose our own agenda without challenge. However, when minority groups started demanding and recieving rights that they had previously been denied, rights that Christians held all along, these same Christians felt threatened and claimed that they were being persecuted. Rights and freedoms are not part of a zero-sum game. Expanding them does not thereby reduce them for some other group. For example, extending marriage rights to homosexuals has not reduced the right of heterosexuals in the slightest way. In reality Christians have lost no rights and are not threatened in any meaningful way. In Canada and the USA Christians are certainly not being persecuted.

If we examine the question of persecution historically we discover a somewhat different picture than is usually understood. The early Christians did endure persecution from the Roman authorities but it was not always and everywhere. It was in fact very patchy in both time and place. With Constantine that persecution was ended but over the next several centuries Christians launched a wide scale, vicious persecution against the pagans, particularly in but not limited to Western Europe. Once Christianity was firmly established and the pagans were thoroughly suppressed we turned to persecuting each other. It is only in the last century that Christians hav,e been experiencing persecution mostly in Asia and Africa.
I would agree with you on the fact that Christians in North America today are not being persecuted, however, that is not what I said at all in my earlier post. The discussion above concerns political correctness and how others have become intolerant of Christian views today. Extending rights to others is not being frowned upon, but when people ask for someone's opinion and then say that it is inappropriate and not acceptable, that is not for the best. I don't mean to sound dystopic by any means, but it is a slippery slope when we begin saying that certain scriptures are unacceptable and offensive, prayer cannot be in school, you are not allowed to disagree with others' lifestyles, etc. I don't wish to get into an argument over this, because we obviously see things quite differently, so I will respectfully agree to disagree :)

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If the government is supporting the school, then it can dictate some things, can't it?

Governments have no money. They produce nothing. The only money they have, they take from taxing corporations and citizens, and of course, only some of them. There is nothing, "free" from the government.

Therefore, they are using money taken from Christians to suppress Christianity.

• Winner
Reactions: Joshua_5
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Governments have no money. They produce nothing. The only money they have, they take from taxing corporations and citizens, and of course, only some of them. There is nothing, "free" from the government.

Therefore, they are using money taken from Christians to suppress Christianity.

I'm pretty sure not all Canadian taxpayers are Christians.

I do think the request to stop talking about adultery is ridiculous, though. Even secular people can agree that adultery is usually bad because it involves deception.

Upvote 0