Can You Have Salvation Without Repentance?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You need to keep repeating yourself, because scripture does not make a good echo.

But most do not have the trust. Only believers do.
Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 8:31
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Again Jesus took away the sin of the world.
Wording can be confusing. The world still runs on the original sin of self interest over the will of God. The choice was always there, as the Bible shows from start to finish. Jesus opened a door and a new offer was put on the table. A new world for those who chose allegiance to God over allegiance to the world and institutions of man. One follows the path of self interest while the other cares for all as we would hope we would be cared for by others. No self interest within the Kingdom or in applying for it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most video is propaganda of sorts.
YouTube is not an authority, but the scriptures are considered a better source.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Acts 16:31
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Acts 2:1-47
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. ...

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Acts 22:16
And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So all the people (and that is quite a few) who say repentance is required to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

I ask, why is - faith,belief,trust - not enough to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

What is lacking in trusting in the Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life, why is that not enough.

I mean Jesus took away the sin of the world at cross and unbelievers are not even sent to the lake of fire because of their sins. But because they never received God's free gift of Eternal Life. Simply stated they do not have Eternal Life.

So why.
Faith/Belief/Trust is enough. Faith is the only way we can please God (Heb 11:6). We are saved through faith (Eph 2:8-9). But faith is not passive. Faith is not inactive. Faith is not simply a mental exercise.

Faith must include the actions we take in response to our understanding and "belief" (mental assent) that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. Without that action faith is dead (James 2:26). Dead Faith is worthless and totally ineffective for saving us.

Faith must come before salvation is received (Eph 2:8-9), because it is the conduit through which Grace is received. Faith must include all of the actions that are commanded by God that He says lead to salvation. There in only one author of the Bible. All of the books of the Bible were written by Him, and there is not a single word that is unimportant in them. So when two or more places in Scripture say that something leads to salvation, all of them MUST be taken into account.

Belief
Repentance
Confession of Jesus' Name
Baptism into Christ

All four of these things are said to lead to salvation. If any of them are not done, then salvation is not received.
Believe and repent in the name of Buddha, that won't save you. (Acts 4:12).
Believe in Christ but refuse to confess His Name before Men and He will refuse to claim you before the Father (Matthew 10:32-33).
Repent and confess Jesus' Name but refuse to be baptized and you remain in sin (Mark 16:16, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-10).

Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19 both say that repentance is absolutely required in order to receive salvation.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Faith/Belief/Trust is enough. Faith is the only way we can please God (Heb 11:6). We are saved through faith (Eph 2:8-9). But faith is not passive. Faith is not inactive. Faith is not simply a mental exercise.

Faith must include the actions we take in response to our understanding and "belief" (mental assent) that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. Without that action faith is dead (James 2:26). Dead Faith is worthless and totally ineffective for saving us.

Faith must come before salvation is received (Eph 2:8-9), because it is the conduit through which Grace is received. Faith must include all of the actions that are commanded by God that He says lead to salvation. There in only one author of the Bible. All of the books of the Bible were written by Him, and there is not a single word that is unimportant in them. So when two or more places in Scripture say that something leads to salvation, all of them MUST be taken into account.

Belief
Repentance
Confession of Jesus' Name
Baptism into Christ

All four of these things are said to lead to salvation. If any of them are not done, then salvation is not received.
Believe and repent in the name of Buddha, that won't save you. (Acts 4:12).
Believe in Christ but refuse to confess His Name before Men and He will refuse to claim you before the Father (Matthew 10:32-33).
Repent and confess Jesus' Name but refuse to be baptized and you remain in sin (Mark 16:16, Col 2:11-14, Rom 6:1-10).

Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19 both say that repentance is absolutely required in order to receive salvation.

If you want to make you case for your 4 actions you say are required for a person to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

You will have to make your case form the Gospel of John, that is for me to believe your salvation version. As The Gospel of John is the only book written for the exact purpose of and that is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life)

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want to make you case for your 4 actions you say are required for a person to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

You will have to make your case form the Gospel of John, that is for me to believe your salvation version. As The Gospel of John is the only book written for the exact purpose of and that is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life)
Hmmm. So none of the other books of Scripture are inspired by God? None of them point to Christ, or give any instruction in righteousness? Hmmm.

No! “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” 2 Tim 3:16

John was written “that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31

The word for believe here is “pistis” which means faith. It is NOT a mental assent belief, but an active, evidence filled belief. Now, what actions does the New Testament REQUIRE in order for us to receive salvation?
Repentance - Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19
Confession of Jesus’ name - Rom 10:9-10
Baptism - Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6;1-10, Col 2:11-14

John was written to a world that already had the other three Gospels. John expects you to know the other three Gospels as a foundation of understanding before you read his account. And all the writings of Paul are supplemental to, and expand on, the teaching in the Gospels. There is no one book in the Bible that, alone and by itself, is complete for all instruction in righteousness or in salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. So none of the other books of Scripture are inspired by God? None of them point to Christ, or give any instruction in righteousness? Hmmm.

No! “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” 2 Tim 3:16

John was written “that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31

The word for believe here is “pistis” which means faith. It is NOT a mental assent belief, but an active, evidence filled belief. Now, what actions does the New Testament REQUIRE in order for us to receive salvation?
Repentance - Acts 2:38, Acts 3:19
Confession of Jesus’ name - Rom 10:9-10
Baptism - Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom 6;1-10, Col 2:11-14

John was written to a world that already had the other three Gospels. John expects you to know the other three Gospels as a foundation of understanding before you read his account. And all the writings of Paul are supplemental to, and expand on, the teaching in the Gospels. There is no one book in the Bible that, alone and by itself, is complete for all instruction in righteousness or in salvation.

You have already ended this discussion by trying to imply that i am saying something i never said.

By saying i am saying: So none of the other books of Scripture are inspired by God? None of them point to Christ, or give any instruction in righteousness?

I did not say that, you said that.

I do not need you definition of what believe means, i know what believe means. And that is the only condition given by God to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

Like i said post one verse stating Eternal Life is given to a person by them repenting.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have already ended this discussion by trying to imply that i am saying something i never said.

By saying i am saying: So none of the other books of Scripture are inspired by God? None of them point to Christ, or give any instruction in righteousness?

I did not say that, you said that.

I do not need you definition of what believe means, i know what believe means. And that is the only condition given by God to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

Like i said post one verse stating Eternal Life is given to a person by them repenting.
I have already referenced two passages that make repentance a condition of receiving salvation.
Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19. There are others as well, but those two suffice.

Now, if I misunderstood what you said, I apologize. But it sounded very much like you were saying that no other book of the Bible had anything to do with belief in Christ or salvation (since only John says at the end that it was written specifically so we would believe).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have already referenced two passages that make repentance a condition of receiving salvation.
Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19. There are others as well, but those two suffice.

Now, if I misunderstood what you said, I apologize. But it sounded very much like you were saying that no other book of the Bible had anything to do with belief in Christ or salvation (since only John says at the end that it was written specifically so we would believe).

I will address one of your verses.
Their cry was not the same as the question of the Philippian jailor of which we read in the 16th chapter of Acts. These brethren did not say to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what must I do to be saved?” That was not in their mind at all; but they said, “Men and brethren” (and you will see from the very term of address used that they recognized their brotherhood with the men who had been preaching)—“Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Repent and Be Baptized (Acts 2:38) – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will address one of your verses.
Their cry was not the same as the question of the Philippian jailor of which we read in the 16th chapter of Acts. These brethren did not say to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what must I do to be saved?” That was not in their mind at all; but they said, “Men and brethren” (and you will see from the very term of address used that they recognized their brotherhood with the men who had been preaching)—“Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Repent and Be Baptized (Acts 2:38) – Grace Evangelical Society
Those men were pricked in their heart (the Spirit convicting them that they had sinned in killing Jesus), thus their question, “What shall we do?” was completely appropriate. But the question is not the issue. As with Nicodemus, these men didn’t know what to ask or what they needed. The key is in Peter’s response: “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Forgiveness of sin and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are both results of the combined action of repentance and baptism.
If you repent but are not baptized then you are not buried with Christ in the likeness of His death, so you are not raised with Him (Rom 6:5).
If you do not repent but do get baptized, then you just get wet, because the Spirit does not remove the sins of those who do not turn from them (Acts 3:19). You cannot continue to live in unrepentant sin and expect to enter Heaven (1 Cor 6:9-11).

The men on Pentecost were not already regenerated, because they had not yet exhibited faith, and faith is the conduit through which salvation is received (Eph 2:8-9). These men believed the truth of Peter’s message, but had yet to act on it, and as James says in chapter 2:26 of his book, “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Those men were pricked in their heart (the Spirit convicting them that they had sinned in killing Jesus), thus their question, “What shall we do?” was completely appropriate. But the question is not the issue. As with Nicodemus, these men didn’t know what to ask or what they needed. The key is in Peter’s response: “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Forgiveness of sin and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are both results of the combined action of repentance and baptism.
If you repent but are not baptized then you are not buried with Christ in the likeness of His death, so you are not raised with Him (Rom 6:5).
If you do not repent but do get baptized, then you just get wet, because the Spirit does not remove the sins of those who do not turn from them (Acts 3:19). You cannot continue to live in unrepentant sin and expect to enter Heaven (1 Cor 6:9-11).

The men on Pentecost were not already regenerated, because they had not yet exhibited faith, and faith is the conduit through which salvation is received (Eph 2:8-9). These men believed the truth of Peter’s message, but had yet to act on it, and as James says in chapter 2:26 of his book, “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.”

There is no need to further do any more back and forths about this, as we are too far apart.

I would be willing to bet, that you also think the blasphemy of The Holy Spirit . Found in Matthew 12 is a sin that people can commit today, that usually goes along with a repentance salvation mindset person.

My last reply to your post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no need to further do any more back and forths about this, as we are too far apart.

I would be willing to bet, that you also think the blasphemy of The Holy Spirit . Found in Matthew 12 is a sin that people can commit today, that usually goes along with a repentance salvation mindset person.

I have never studied or even thought too much about it, nor do I remember ever hearing a sermon about it, but yes, I would have to say that it is as possible now to blaspheme the Holy Spirit as it was in Jesus’ day.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One question for you: is it possible to be saved and continue to live a life of sin?
Pick any sin; can someone who lived a lifestyle of that sin, heard the Gospel, and believed in Christ, can they continue to live that sinful lifestyle and be saved?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
can they continue to live that sinful lifestyle and be saved?
I don't know of any human that can get through time without putting self ahead of the will of God once in a while. So without forgiveness we are all doomed. Being aware of the two opposing wills is a great advantage and allegiance to one or the other is required.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One question for you: is it possible to be saved and continue to live a life of sin?
Pick any sin; can someone who lived a lifestyle of that sin, heard the Gospel, and believed in Christ, can they continue to live that sinful lifestyle and be saved?

Jesus took away the sin of the world, sin is not an factor in a person believing in the Messiah for Eternal Life.

Even unbelievers are not sent to the lake of fire because of any sin, sin is never mention at The Great White Throne Judgment of unbelievers. They are judged for their works and to see if their name is in The Book of Life.

So can a person who has trusted in The Messiah for Eternal Life, live a life of sin, sure. But doing so (depends on the sin) God or their sinful life may end their earthly life way before their time.

Why do you think The Messiah is sitting down now by God, the sacrifice has been paid. Jesus stated "it is finished" do you not believe this.

Also why do think now when you sin all you have to do is confess your sin/sins and God will forgive them. Why do you not have to now, sacrifice an animal, because Jesus was the final and perfect sacrifice.

Confessing sin now brings about a right position/relationship toward God nothing to do with receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

The Temple was destroyed by God in 70 A.D., so The Jews would look to The Messiah

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus took away the sin of the world, sin is not an factor in a person believing in the Messiah for Eternal Life.

Even unbelievers are not sent to the lake of fire because of any sin, sin is never mention at The Great White Throne Judgment of unbelievers. They are judged for their works and to see if their name is in The Book of Life.

So can a person who has trusted in The Messiah for Eternal Life, live a life of sin, sure. But doing so (depends on the sin) God or their sinful life may end their earthly life way before their time.

Why do you think The Messiah is sitting down now by God, the sacrifice has been paid. Jesus stated "it is finished" do you not believe this.

Also why do think now when you sin all you have to do is confess your sin/sins and God will forgive them. Why do you not have to now, sacrifice an animal, because Jesus was the final and perfect sacrifice.

Confessing sin now brings about a right position/relationship toward God nothing to do with receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

The Temple was destroyed by God in 70 A.D., so The Jews would look to The Messiah
Sacrifice in the temple NEVER forgave sin. It just rolled it forward to Christ.

Christ paid the debt for all sin, but not all sin is, or will be, forgiven.

Only those who have been washed in the Blood of the Lamb in baptism can simply confess their sins to God and be forgiven. Those who are not in Christ must repent (stop sinning, or at least strive to do so), confess Jesus as Lord publicly, and be baptized into His name so that they can receive forgiveness and be saved. If they don’t, they will be condemned to Hell for all eternity.

Upvote 0