Can You Have Salvation Without Repentance?

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
_​

Show one example where a person was not able to believe something because they did not repent. Anywhere it does not have to be in The Bible.

I can believe all kind of beliefs and not once do i have to repent to believe these beliefs.

Example i believe the moon is a created light just like The Bible states. And not the lie that science states that the moon reflects the suns light.

I believe the sun moves over the earth and that the earth does not move. Not one time did i have to repent to believe this. I simply read and believed the evidence given in The Bible about the sun and moon.

No other action was needed for me to believe this. I read the accounts in The Bible and was convinced they were true. Same as if i was on a jury and listened to the evidence and was convinced the person was guilty.

I am not the one redefining belief in The Bible to fit a theology.
Interesting. So you believe that simply believing (a purely mental assent exercise) saves? Then why aren’t the demons saved? They believe. They know for a fact that Jesus is God. They can see Him sitting at the right hand of the Father. Yet they are not saved. Why? Because they either will not or cannot act on that belief; they don’t have faith.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Perfect places for repentance to used in verses if repentance was a condition for receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

But it is not used, in any of these verses, why because it is not a condition to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Perfect place to have repentance used in the verses below. Why does this verse not say But you are not willing to repent and come to Me that you may have life. But no that verse does not say that. It states But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Or what works shall we do Jesus did not state repent and believe in me. The verse states that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

_
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. So you believe that simply believing (a purely mental assent exercise) saves? Then why aren’t the demons saved? They believe. They know for a fact that Jesus is God. They can see Him sitting at the right hand of the Father. Yet they are not saved. Why? Because they either will not or cannot act on that belief; they don’t have faith.

Salvation was never offered to demons being that they are the seed of satan/fallen angels they were doomed from birth.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Concerning receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life, you can not show in The Bible where that is the case, that a person was prevented from receiving Eternal Life because they did not repent.

You have to examine all scriptures on a topic, not just the ones you like.

Faith AND repentance are required for salvation.

Jesus Himself plainly said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent, we shall perish:

Luke 5:30And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to REPENTANCE.”

Luke 13:3No, I tell you; but unless you REPENT , you will all likewise perish.

This further confirms the need to repent or perish:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should COME TO REPENTANCE.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said AFTER His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luke 24:46And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luke 24:47And that REPENTANCE and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Plus, as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include teaching the need to repent of sins or perish.

And other scriptures will confirm that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith., said Paul.

And Paul continues to confirm that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should REPENT and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their REPENTANCE.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent and turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repentand be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 REPENT therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Well known scholar Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to REPENT and be baptized, for REMISSION OF SINS, in Acts 2:38.

Therefore, without repentance is no remission of sins, and there’s no salvation without remission of sins.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved - and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You have to examine all scriptures on a topic, not just the ones you like.

Faith AND repentance are required for salvation.

Jesus Himself plainly said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent, we shall perish:

Luke 5:30And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to REPENTANCE.”

Luke 13:3No, I tell you; but unless you REPENT , you will all likewise perish.

This further confirms the need to repent or perish:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should COME TO REPENTANCE.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said AFTER His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luke 24:46And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luke 24:47And that REPENTANCE and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Plus, as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include teaching the need to repent of sins or perish.

And other scriptures will confirm that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith., said Paul.

And Paul continues to confirm that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should REPENT and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their REPENTANCE.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent and turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repentand be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 REPENT therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Well known scholar Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to REPENT and be baptized, for REMISSION OF SINS, in Acts 2:38.

Therefore, without repentance is no remission of sins, and there’s no salvation without remission of sins.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved - and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

No repentance is not needed, that is a man crafted salvation. And i am not sure if God is accepting man crafted salvation's.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
_​

It seems like the reason from reading many of the repentance salvation people. That they add repentance to receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) so they can go around and judge people, your in, your out. You are sinning or did not repent of your sins so you are out. A very judgmental approach to their beliefs kind of gives them a little control over ones who will play their game.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perfect places for repentance to used in verses if repentance was a condition for receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

But it is not used, in any of these verses, why because it is not a condition to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Perfect place to have repentance used in the verses below. Why does this verse not say But you are not willing to repent and come to Me that you may have life. But no that verse does not say that. It states But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Or what works shall we do Jesus did not state repent and believe in me. The verse states that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

_
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

The reason John 5:40 doesn’t use the word repent is because coming to Christ is repentance. Repentance is turning away from sin and towards God. So in a way He did tell them to repent, He just used the definition instead of the word for it.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
_​

It seems like the reason from reading many of the repentance salvation people. That they add repentance to receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) so they can go around and judge people, your in, your out. You are sinning or did not repent of your sins so you are out. A very judgmental approach to their beliefs kind of gives them a little control over ones who will play their game.
ROTFL

That is certainly not the case with me. I know I am not God, or even a god. I am not worthy of my own salvation, let alone being good enough to judge you. However, I can read Scripture, and when God says repent or you will die, and repent so that you may be forgiven, and come (turn from following sin- repent) and follow me, and come to me (and stop following Satan) and I will give you rest, and many more I have to stop and realizable that He is in control and He is worthy to judge, and He is almighty, so when He says something that is the way it is!!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
_​

Yeah well Jesus also didn’t say that we must abide in Him to receive eternal life in John 6 either but He did say it in John 15. So do we need to abide in Him to be saved or can we just turn away after we believed and still expect to receive eternal life?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ROTFL

That is certainly not the case with me. I know I am not God, or even a god. I am not worthy of my own salvation, let alone being good enough to judge you. However, I can read Scripture, and when God says repent or you will die, and repent so that you may be forgiven, and come (turn from following sin- repent) and follow me, and come to me (and stop following Satan) and I will give you rest, and many more I have to stop and realizable that He is in control and He is worthy to judge, and He is almighty, so when He says something that is the way it is!!

No what that actually was, was a misrepresentation of the truth where a person intentionally takes the most obscure approach or aspect of a conversation and exploits it in order to discredit someone by the use of deceptive tactics. It’s unfortunate that we see this dishonest tactic used so often here on CF amongst fellow Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
_​

Can you name one person here who has done that? Has anyone here said “who is in” or “who is out”? I can’t seem to find any posts of that nature.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation was never offered to demons being that they are the seed of satan/fallen angels they were doomed from birth.

So was everyone who ever lived on this planet with only One exception.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Here is a few from yall.

Scripture is clear - no repentance, no remission of sins - and no one gets to heaven with their sins unforgiven.

I’ve had friends in the past who used Christ as an excuse to sin saying “ahh it’s ok, Jesus died for my sins, all I have to do is believe and I’ll be saved” these are the lawless type Jesus mentioned in Matthew 7:21-28 who hear His words and do not act on them. Those who never knew Him.

Precisely. Those who hear but do not do Don’t change. They are not reborn, nor are they forgiven.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is a few from yall.

Scripture is clear - no repentance, no remission of sins - and no one gets to heaven with their sins unforgiven.

I’ve had friends in the past who used Christ as an excuse to sin saying “ahh it’s ok, Jesus died for my sins, all I have to do is believe and I’ll be saved” these are the lawless type Jesus mentioned in Matthew 7:21-28 who hear His words and do not act on them. Those who never knew Him.

Precisely. Those who hear but do not do Don’t change. They are not reborn, nor are they forgiven.

Matthew 7:21-28 is Jesus’ words not mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟119,882.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Been troubled about this question for as long as I've been a believer.
I've heard people say 'it's all under the blood', 'I was only searching' forget the past etc etc...
Surely they can't be saved, who would say that?
I'm still remembering my sins from forty odd years ago!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

What is interesting how those verses are not talking about sins but actually works people were doing.

But you used them to judge your friends and their sins.

Ones who believe in repenting as part of receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. Remind me of the sadducees and pharisees who used The Old Testament Law to craft their own rules.

Kind of like now, using The New Testament verses to craft their own salvation's.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

The message didn’t stop at verse 21.

““Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:21-27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Notice the word “Therefore” highlighted in verse 24. This is an indication that He is expounding on what He is talking about. The “will” of God means something God desires. Yes God desires us to believe, He also desires us to obey Christ’s words.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟904,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is interesting how those verses are not talking about sins but actually works people were doing.

But you used them to judge your friends and their sins.

Ones who believe in repenting as part of receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. Remind me of the sadducees and pharisees who used The Old Testament Law to craft their own rules.

Kind of like now, using The New Testament verses to craft their own salvation's.

You completely ignored verses 24-28, verse 24 beginning with the word THEREFORE. So about the person who used Christ as an excuse to sin, and in that context the situation that I observed was my friend was going to a strip club to get drunk and watch naked women dance around when another friend said “hey man that’s a sin”. The other friend’s reply was mocking Jesus’ sacrifice when he said “it’s ok Jesus died for my sins bro, all I have to do is believe and I’m saved”. None of us were Christians at the time. Going out and getting drunk at bars, clubs, and strip clubs was a weekly ritual for us so I can say with certainty that none of us were saved at that time because none of us were believers or followers of Christ just like the people in Matthew 7:21-28 we never knew Him.

The problem with your theology is it doesn’t line up with all scripture just bits and pieces of it.

Upvote 0