Can you be a Christian and be racist?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I would suggest to them to not be presumptuous when it comes to God and His reasons for doing things.
Well find yourself a time machine and go tell them. Their musings were used by Hitler to involve the German churches in rounding up and killing the Jews during WW2.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well find yourself a time machine and go tell them. Their musings were used by Hitler to involve the German churches in rounding up and killing the Jews during WW2.

Jesus said you can identify false prophets by their actions.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can rest assured that I am not so ignorant as to paint all on the side of any coin with such broad brush strokes.

It's interesting how so many claim to be so compassionate and inclusive, and yet so hateful and derisive against those who refuse to give handouts to just anyone and everyone on the streets. For example, there are quite a number of professional panhandlers in the cities where I stomp about on a weekly basis. I hand over not one red cent to them. One in particular parks his newer model BMW behind an adjacent convenience store, and I'm driving an older, beat up mini van. Discerning between the deadbeats and those in genuine need is an exercise.

As to sexuality...well, that one too is an interesting exercise in discernment. Those practicing a lifestyle of perversity have a serious problem on their hands, and most take pride in their perverse acting out upon their warped attractions. Being tolerant of them is not what Christ exhibited, as can be seen with the pharisees. Those who have those attractions but do not live them out, knowing full well they are sin, I stand by them and support them in their struggles.

That describes the vast majority of them.

Yes, there are (C)hirstians, and there are (c)hirstians...in name only.

The standardized values and character of of progressive-ism is indeed demonstratively warped and evil to the very core.

Agreed, and we can throw in other items in that list as well.

Jr
Well I used to attend a Conservative Church where the pastor would denounce homosexuality and believed that natural disasters of the nation caused it. Yet the longer I stayed at the church the more I noticed there was indirect racism practiced there.

I also noticed when outspoken White supremacist politicians who advocate whites-only monocultural society and the expulsion of black immigrants and non-White refugees and all Muslims, and a return to European Christian values like in the 1950s, a lot of people of Faith really supported that politician.

I have managed to befriend panhandler and knew one for years. She lived in the streets for years and was very poor all that time. She had serious mental problems, and her partner died of curable disease because he could not afford treatment. She was accused of a drug addict but never took meth, never drank alcohol, but labeled as a junkie. She would only make money through panhandling. She thought about selling her self into prostitution but she choose not to as at least she had some dignity. If you told her about fake panhanders she would really lose her temper and yes she did admit there were some that were fake but most were not. She barely had a place to live for a number of years, except going to the homeless shelter when it was open in the coldest parts of winter. She or her partner never had a car as they can't afford it. Before they were homeless they used to rent but were kicked out because they could not afford the rent, and since they become homeless they could only access food stamps but no welfare payments so they had to panhandle to get money. They even at times used to be abused by people due to them panhandling, even by the cops.

Anyway is there any homeless person you have ever befriended and learned their life story and keep in touch for years while they are still homeless?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said you can identify false prophets by their actions.
And what actions should be noticed by congregants of a church whose founder said Jews should be locked in their meeting houses and then burned to the ground? **

** Martin Luther "The Jews and their Lies"

• Informative
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And what actions should be noticed by congregants of a church whose founder said Jews should be locked in their meeting houses and then burned to the ground? **

** Martin Luther "The Jews and their Lies"

Did Martin Luther say that? That’s interesting.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...The standardized values and character of of progressive-ism is indeed demonstratively warped and evil to the very core....
Hi. I'm evil to the very core.

Nice to meet you!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SwordmanJr
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. I'm evil to the very core.

Nice to meet you!

I must be evil to my very core as well because I lean more left now than I ever have since Trump was elected. If I'm evil to my very core for being progressive, then I guess so much for everything I have ever done during in my lifetime to help the poor and destitute (even before I became a Christian).

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
QED.

That argument comes up with a lot more than just sinful behavior. It also comes up with someone who does not line up with our set of pet doctrines as well. I have come across people that dont even think 50% of the people in their own congregation should be called "christians."
Do you think folks who do immoral or unethical deeds are "in Christ"?
I don't, as there is no sin in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think folks who do immoral or unethical deeds are "in Christ"?
I don't, as there is no sin in Christ.
When Paul had to call out Peter for acting duplicitously with gentiles (Gal 2.11) he was acting unethically. Was Peter in Christ or not?

And if NOT, then why do we even bother to read his epistles?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When Paul had to call out Peter for acting duplicitously with gentiles (Gal 2.11) he was acting unethically. Was Peter in Christ or not?

And if NOT, then why do we even bother to read his epistles?
What was the "duplicity"?
Had Peter been seen eating with the Gentiles the visiting Jews would have accused him of breaking the Law.
He was in a no-win situation.
As thousands at Jerusalem were all still "zealous of the Law", what sin was there in withdrawing from the Gentiles in the Jew's presence?
Peter's error was validating the OT Law's prohibitions which had been done away with in Christ.
Peter was still living with the Jews, and saw fit to side with them in this case.
Paul wasn't, and by the grace of God saw an opportunity to "update" Peter and the visiting Jews.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As thousands at Jerusalem were all still "zealous of the Law", what sin was there in withdrawing from the Gentiles in the Jew's presence?
Had Peter not understood what the sin was, Paul would not have rebuked him so severely.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Had Peter not understood what the sin was, Paul would not have rebuked him so severely.
You are entitled to an opinion.
Severely?

If Peter really did commit sin, then he was not "in Christ". He was not reborn. His repentance from sin was a lie to God. He didn't have the Holy Ghost. His flesh wasn't killed. He was still walking in the flesh instead of in the Spirit.
As nothing is written of the outcome of Paul's "face off" with Peter, any solution to any alleged problem is pure conjecture.

Moral of the Gal. 2 story?
We have been freed from the auspices of the Mosaic Law and from the customs of the elders.
No matter who we worship with.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My brother panhandles. He said he sometimes made a lot of money doing that and of course he spent most of it on drugs as he is a very bad drug addict. It's smarter to give them water or food. just remember that some of the panhandlers are bad drug addicts and you might be helping them to kill themselves. Also of note hardcore drugs have a way of bringing out evils in people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Racism is a work of the flesh. some parts of the flesh can be utilized for the spirit but I do not think that racism can.
That is true and many are not aware of it, yet this type of senario does exist today: Say a Black man visits a mostly white church for a few weeks but each Sunday no one talks to him. Moreover, few people even bother to greet him. Meanwhile, a white visitor to the church is invited out to lunch during his very first visit. Churchgoers not only talk to him but supply him with their phone numbers and email addresses. In a matter of weeks, he's thoroughly enmeshed in the church's social network.

Even if there is a discussion within the church to be more inclusive of people of different races people within the church can deny its a problem within the church , and only believe its a problem with KKK groups.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is true and many are not aware of it, yet this type of senario does exist today: Say a Black man visits a mostly white church for a few weeks but each Sunday no one talks to him. Moreover, few people even bother to greet him. Meanwhile, a white visitor to the church is invited out to lunch during his very first visit. Churchgoers not only talk to him but supply him with their phone numbers and email addresses. In a matter of weeks, he's thoroughly enmeshed in the church's social network.

Even if there is a discussion within the church to be more inclusive of people of different races people within the church can deny its a problem within the church , and only believe its a problem with KKK groups.
Yes it seems natural for us to favor our own race. Thankfully sometimes the spirit prevails.

Reactions: Phil W
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes it seems natural for us to favor our own race. Thankfully sometimes the spirit prevails.

It's often done by those who aren't white, but it's hardly ever even pointed out when it happens. Examples of this is when a black person says they voted for Obama because they wanted a president who looked like them (referring to skin color) and therefore would understand them. The same comments have been made about those in Hollywood films such as Black Panther. People who are black wanted to have a superhero character who is black. If a white person said they voted for Trump because he's white, or likes Superman because he's white--oh my!

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes its true that people are drawn to people that look like them. There is nothing wrong with churches that cater to a certain ethnic group. The problem is deliberately excluding person due to their race/and or culture.

Sure a church can talk about the evils of the secular world acceptance of homosexuality during sermons, yet during their sermons avoid or deny there is a problem with racism within society.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My brother panhandles. He said he sometimes made a lot of money doing that and of course he spent most of it on drugs as he is a very bad drug addict. It's smarter to give them water or food. just remember that some of the panhandlers are bad drug addicts and you might be helping them to kill themselves. Also of note hardcore drugs have a way of bringing out evils in people.
Well, my homeless friend was against hardcore drugs and did not take them when she was homeless except for pot. It made her angry her being labeled a junkie because she panhandled. Yet today she has a permanent shelter to live un after years of living out in the streets.

well when i used to give money to panhandlers I would tell them that Jesus loves them very much. Sure they feel unloved and rejected in society, but Jesus is reaching out to those people.

Yet I do not give money much to panhandlers as you are right not all panhandlers are genuine and after drug money.

Upvote 0