Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They considered themselves Christians. Their churches and clergy typically validated that, as did their neighbors and families. I dont think we can reach back and make them non-Christians.

Racism was simply a thing most Christians (and non-Christians - I think) did back then.... and still do to some extent.

The No True Scotsman always seems to find its way into discussions about Christians being racist or a Christian committing some crime or doing something else that's clearly immoral and unethical.

• Agree
Reactions: jardiniere
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now youre talking about what you think the Christian religion should be, rather than what it was - or is.
The Christian religion was what it was, tolerating a ton of racism.
Then they weren't really Christians.
The James 1:27 scripture defines what the real church "IS".
Pure and undefiled.
Otherwise it is a polluted, stained, torn, and marked substitute for reality in Christ.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What does God in his word say about intermarriages such as a between Blacks and Whites?

I don't know. Do you have any passages?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now youre talking about what you think the Christian religion should be, rather than what it was - or is.

The Christian religion was what it was, tolerating a ton of racism.
The Christian religion IS as it should be...or else it isn't Christian.
Don't be fooled by all the "one offs" and posers.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Christian religion IS as it should be...or else it isn't Christian.
Don't be fooled by all the "one offs" and posers.
I admire your sentiment.

But one voice crying in the wilderness does not change the meaning of a word. The term "Christian religion" means what the culture as whole says it means. Thats just the way words work.

And its not like the generally accepted cultural definition is so far off the mark. Even the "Christians" you deny generally profess belief in God, and Jesus as his only son and our savior.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I admire your sentiment.
But one voice crying in the wilderness does not change the meaning of a word. The term "Christian religion" means what the culture as whole says it means. Thats just the way words work.
Then you have bought the lie.
A group of liars can't redefine something based on group mania.
Two sex marriage is a perfect example of that.
Homo-sexual marriages are not really marriages, no matter how many countries, states, or men say it is.
Same with the body of Christ.
There is not now, or ever been sin in Christ's body.

And its not like the generally accepted cultural definition is so far off the mark. Even the "Christians" you deny generally profess belief in God, and Jesus as his only son and our savior.
I will not settle for fake substitutes.
One voice once helped change the world...remember?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I admire your sentiment.
That's the way the devil wants it to work.
But those in tune with God resist the slander of righteousness and truth.
The culture's outlook is destined for over-throw after over-throw, but the words of God stand true and unshakable.

Impurity gets what impurity deserves.
Disease and death.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a follower of Christ Jesus, and am called a racist by every leftist/progressive who hates and considers a racist everyone who disagrees with them about active homosexuality, active pedophilia, the murder of the unborn and the born, absolute morality over subjective morality, et al. The race card has become so overplayed, it's lost its original meaning.

Jr
I dont believe you if you are called racist, if you disagreed with homosexuality or prolife.

Anyway, racism is still a problem with Christian circles. I even encountered a poster who stated the genocide of the Native Americans in the USA was a good thing and is a wise thing just like the Israelites of the bible killed offf the Cannaties because God told them so. He also referred to the black race as slaves and even those in government who still import black people are evil. He even prayed for God to remove these evil people who want to import more black people in the USA.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont believe you if you are called racist, if you disagreed with homosexuality or prolife.

Then you don't know any leftist liberals. I happen to know a number of them, and they absolutely believe that disagreement with the homosexual, transgender, etc., agendas, they will call you, me or anyone else out as being bigots, racists, xenophobes, homophobes, and employ all manner of ad hominem tactics to try and win the upper hand among their peers and those watching along the sidelines. It matter not at all that phobias are an irrational fear of something. Disagreement is not a matter of fear, but of intellectual departure from the claims made by those in circles with narratives that oppose absolute truth.

Anyway, racism is still a problem with Christian circles. I even encountered a poster who stated the genocide of the Native Americans in the USA was a good thing and is a wise thing just like the Israelites of the bible killed offf the Cannaties because God told them so. He also referred to the black race as slaves and even those in government who still import black people are evil. He even prayed for God to remove these evil people who want to import more black people in the USA.

To say that such a person is a "Christian" is absolutely absurd. Just because someone like that identifies as being "Christian", it's very likely they do so only to paint true Christians with very dark brush strokes in the minds of the intellectually weak who are little more than products of media; they are the sheeple who believe whatever meshes with their own internal hatred and bias they hear from mass media. They are worth less than a penny a million. The world is filled with them.

Jr

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you don't know any leftist liberals. I happen to know a number of them, and they absolutely believe that disagreement with the homosexual, transgender, etc., agendas, they will call you, me or anyone else out as being bigots, racists, xenophobes, homophobes, and employ all manner of ad hominem tactics to try and win the upper hand among their peers and those watching along the sidelines. It matter not at all that phobias are an irrational fear of something. Disagreement is not a matter of fear, but of intellectual departure from the claims made by those in circles with narratives that oppose absolute truth.

To say that such a person is a "Christian" is absolutely absurd. Just because someone like that identifies as being "Christian", it's very likely they do so only to paint true Christians with very dark brush strokes in the minds of the intellectually weak who are little more than products of media; they are the sheeple who believe whatever meshes with their own internal hatred and bias they hear from mass media. They are worth less than a penny a million. The world is filled with them.

Jr
I also know many leftists, and not all leftists are the same. Sure it is more common for Leftists to not be Christian and identify as much as those on the right, yet I have encountered leftist even though they don't believe in God, show more Chrisitan behaviour and love for the less fortunate, including the rejects in society, due to their disability, race, culture, poor economic status, sexuality than many people who profess to be Christian. The story of the good samaritan comes to mind.

Of course, there are leftists that go too far and personally attack and insult others that don't share the same values as them, yet I have seen Christians out there that unjustified insult other that don't share the same values, but they, fortunately, a minority of Christians.

Progressives are not stupid and evil. Conservatives are not racists and misogynists.

Yet racism no matter it is from the members of conservatives or progressives is a sin and should be treated as such, instead of tolerating it, or encouraging it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does God in his word say about intermarriages such as a between Blacks and Whites?
If I may borrow a line or 2 from Edwin Starr's hit song "War:"

Absolutely NOTHING. Say it again ...

I think that sums it up fairly well.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you be a Christian and be racist at the same time? That is against marriages for a White and Black couple, plus supportive of a White only homeland where only Whites can live? I am aware there was a time that it was illegal for a Black and White couple were forbidden to marry and there were religious people of the day that stated that intermarriage is against Gods plan. Plus they are supportive of Jim Crow laws where Blacks were forbidden to live in White communities, be treated in the same hospital as White People, forbid Blacks to enter a White Church, Forbid Blacks to enter White only schools and shops, et.c I am aware there were religious people that supported it and even some even backed that up and claimed that God allowed that according to scripture.

White supremecists need to realize that Jesus wasn’t white, He was Hebrew and God’s chosen people were also Hebrew. So are Gentiles really the supreme race? I think Romans 11:18-22 may be relevant to this case.

“do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭11:18-22‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The No True Scotsman always seems to find its way into discussions about Christians being racist or a Christian committing some crime or doing something else that's clearly immoral and unethical.
Then they weren't really Christians.
QED.

That argument comes up with a lot more than just sinful behavior. It also comes up with someone who does not line up with our set of pet doctrines as well. I have come across people that dont even think 50% of the people in their own congregation should be called "christians."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
White supremecists need to realize that Jesus wasn’t white,
German theologians in the late 1800s posited that part of the reason for the Virgin Birth was so that our Lord would not have any Jewish blood in Him. That gave rise to the pictures of Him with blonde hair and blue eyes.

upload_2019-9-17_6-47-7.jpeg

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
German theologians in the late 1800s posited that part of the reason for the Virgin Birth was so that our Lord would not have any Jewish blood in Him. That gave rise to the pictures of Him with blonde hair and blue eyes.

View attachment 263314

Mary wasn’t a Gentile, she was Hebrew.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mary wasn’t a Gentile, she was Hebrew.
Of course she was. Relative of Elizabeth, who was a daughter of Aaron.

Since it was a virgin birth, neither Joseph or Mary had any input into His makeup. That was how He could be born Arian.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also know many leftists, and not all leftists are the same.

You can rest assured that I am not so ignorant as to paint all on the side of any coin with such broad brush strokes.

Sure it is more common for Leftists to not be Christian and identify as much as those on the right, yet I have encountered leftist even though they don't believe in God, show more Chrisitan behaviour and love for the less fortunate, including the rejects in society, due to their disability, race, culture, poor economic status, sexuality than many people who profess to be Christian. The story of the good samaritan comes to mind.

It's interesting how so many claim to be so compassionate and inclusive, and yet so hateful and derisive against those who refuse to give handouts to just anyone and everyone on the streets. For example, there are quite a number of professional panhandlers in the cities where I stomp about on a weekly basis. I hand over not one red cent to them. One in particular parks his newer model BMW behind an adjacent convenience store, and I'm driving an older, beat up mini van. Discerning between the deadbeats and those in genuine need is an exercise.

As to sexuality...well, that one too is an interesting exercise in discernment. Those practicing a lifestyle of perversity have a serious problem on their hands, and most take pride in their perverse acting out upon their warped attractions. Being tolerant of them is not what Christ exhibited, as can be seen with the pharisees. Those who have those attractions but do not live them out, knowing full well they are sin, I stand by them and support them in their struggles.

Of course, there are leftists that go too far and personally attack and insult others that don't share the same values as them,...

That describes the vast majority of them.

yet I have seen Christians out there that unjustified insult other that don't share the same values, but they, fortunately, a minority of Christians.

Yes, there are (C)hirstians, and there are (c)hirstians...in name only.

Progressives are not stupid and evil. Conservatives are not racists and misogynists.

The standardized values and character of of progressive-ism is indeed demonstratively warped and evil to the very core.

Yet racism no matter it is from the members of conservatives or progressives is a sin and should be treated as such, instead of tolerating it, or encouraging it.

Agreed, and we can throw in other items in that list as well.

Jr

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 263314

Personally I would suggest to them to not be presumptuous when it comes to God and His reasons for doing things.

Upvote 0