Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Anyone ever built one here? The reason I ask, is I now have a winter project. A distributor affiliated with a Canadian manufacturer (Black Creek Logistics) is moving their retail and warehouse facility, and are having a sale to clear out instead of move some of their stuff. They are selling brand new, in the white, uppers and lowers for $89.95! I grabbed a set; now I'm trying to decide... Cerocoat or Anodize... Thoughts?

upperlower.PNG

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Phase I is done; Upper and lower finished with FDE Cerama Coat; Enhanced lower parts kit installed; Carbine length buffer tube assembly and stock installed.

Way easier than either the book I have or the videos I watched portrayed it. I got a great trigger with the lower kit too!

I'm happy so far:
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phase I is done; Upper and lower finished with FDE Cerama Coat; Enhanced lower parts kit installed; Carbine length buffer tube assembly and stock installed.

Way easier than either the book I have or the videos I watched portrayed it. I got a great trigger with the lower kit too!

I'm happy so far:
View attachment 237531 View attachment 237532
I like the cera-cote! That looks good.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Phase two; Yesterday I ordered a bolt carrier group that requires full assembly ($20.00 cheaper than the pre-assembled one); and an upper parts kit which includes the dust cover and parts and the charging handle.

Barrel, handguard, gas tube, gas block will be phase three.

I am debating if I should go with a 20" barrel chambered in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist for $100.00, or go carbine length with a 1 in 9 twist in 5.56 for $230.00 There are pistol length barrels available (all kinds), but I have heard that they can be hard to tune for reliability with the short gas tube, and short pressure duration, they are super loud (close to your head), and for me just seem pointless.

Regardless of what barrel length, these are restricted here in Canada, so can be used only on a range, not for hunting, so heavier projectiles are not high on my list; I will be shooting mainly .55 grain ammo.

Since cartridge specs are identical for .223 and 5.56, I can't see why the difference in chambers (.223, .223 Wylde of 5.56) make any difference other than from a marketing stand-point. I have been using both in my remington 78 for years, and have no issues with either, other than it does shoot lighter bullets better due to it's slow twist, I think. I home load for varmints, but use the cheapest .223 for plinking at the range.

I likely will not be doing 3 gun, so what are your thoughts; pros and cons for each?

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phase two; Yesterday I ordered a bolt carrier group that requires full assembly ($20.00 cheaper than the pre-assembled one); and an upper parts kit which includes the dust cover and parts and the charging handle.

Barrel, handguard, gas tube, gas block will be phase three.

I am debating if I should go with a 20" barrel chambered in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist for $100.00, or go carbine length with a 1 in 9 twist in 5.56 for $230.00 There are pistol length barrels available (all kinds), but I have heard that they can be hard to tune for reliability with the short gas tube, and short pressure duration, they are super loud (close to your head), and for me just seem pointless.

Regardless of what barrel length, these are restricted here in Canada, so can be used only on a range, not for hunting, so heavier projectiles are not high on my list; I will be shooting mainly .55 grain ammo.

Since cartridge specs are identical for .223 and 5.56, I can't see why the difference in chambers (.223, .223 Wylde of 5.56) make any difference other than from a marketing stand-point. I have been using both in my remington 78 for years, and have no issues with either, other than it does shoot lighter bullets better due to it's slow twist, I think. I home load for varmints, but use the cheapest .223 for plinking at the range.

I likely will not be doing 3 gun, so what are your thoughts; pros and cons for each?
First, to answer that some can shoot both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington in their gun without problems, some guns are chambered for both and some are overbuilt anyway. The problems tend occur after years of mixing as the real concern involves different pressures which are manifested by the very minor design differences. I have a 20" Wylde on mine but that came after doing a lot of research. This weekend after adjusting my Leopold scope I was knocking out the 10 ring at a hundred yards so consistently I got bored and went back to shooting my 4" .38 Combat Special at 25 yards. I hope the following helps with your decision.

"If you have two cartridges that are so similar in external case dimensions why not have one chamber that makes the best of both loads? Enter Bill Wylde. Bill had the idea to create a chamber that would serve the 5.56 and the .223 Remington equally well. The .223 Wylde has the same chamber angling as the standard 5.56 chamber, so there’s no problem with pressures, and it also has a .2240 freebore diameter. The result? You have a chamber that is sufficient to handle the hotter 5.56 load without concerns about pressure and you get the gilt-edge accuracy that’s common in many quality .223 rifles."

223vs556-e1446155529154.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
First, to answer that some can shoot both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington in their gun without problems, some guns are chambered for both and some are overbuilt anyway. The problems tend occur after years of mixing as the real concern involves different pressures which are manifested by the very minor design differences. I have a 20" Wylde on mine but that came after doing a lot of research. This weekend after adjusting my Leopold scope I was knocking out the 10 ring at a hundred yards so consistently I got bored and went back to shooting my 4" .38 Combat Special at 25 yards. I hope the following helps with your decision.

"If you have two cartridges that are so similar in external case dimensions why not have one chamber that makes the best of both loads? Enter Bill Wylde. Bill had the idea to create a chamber that would serve the 5.56 and the .223 Remington equally well. The .223 Wylde has the same chamber angling as the standard 5.56 chamber, so there’s no problem with pressures, and it also has a .2240 freebore diameter. The result? You have a chamber that is sufficient to handle the hotter 5.56 load without concerns about pressure and you get the gilt-edge accuracy that’s common in many quality .223 rifles."

223vs556-e1446155529154.jpg
Thanks for the info; I also noted after doing a bit of research that while externally the same, the spec for 5.56 calls out a slightly smaller internal volume (slightly thicker case walls?), which could result in a slightly increased internal pressure.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the info; I also noted after doing a bit of research that while externally the same, the spec for 5.56 calls out a slightly smaller internal volume (slightly thicker case walls?), which could result in a slightly increased internal pressure.
Correct. I also have a CVA Hunter single shot, break action that has a very thick chamber, however it specifically states for .223 Remington ONLY on the side of the chamber. I have absolutely no doubt it would take any NATO or Remington round but why chance it. I have an AR-15 Wylde that will take either so I leave the .223 Remington for my wife and her CVA Hunter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are we using the incorrect media term for this as an AR-15? I was excited to think that an armalite was available in a kit . :( It does look cool though. :)
Correction, I have a Bear Creek Arsenal
bca_logo.png
BCA Brown Bear II AR-15 Complete Rifle, 16" Parkerized 4150 Steel Contour Barrel, .223 Wylde, 1:7 Twist w/ 4 sided machined hand guard and soft fills, Carry Handle, and A2 Front Sight with 14 spare magazines and hard carry case.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why are we using the incorrect media term for this as an AR-15? I was excited to think that an armalite was available in a kit . :( It does look cool though. :)
A 1911, regardless of who builds it in what country, is still a 1911. Same goes for the AK47, the SKS, the Lee Enfield. AR15 is now the standard identifier for the type. If it is built to Mil Std. like the Black Creek Labs upper and lower; all other Mil Std. parts will fit and function. One US company that I know of builds AR15 lowers out of high tech polymer (plastic) to save weight. They are still ARs.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I got my upper parts kits, the BCG kit, forward assist and charging handle; I assembled the BCG, installed the forward assist, the dust cover and the charging handle, all in less than an hour.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

Now, I have to make up my mind on a barrel/handguard combo...

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I got a hand-guard that was finely machined and crafted. After my first hunting trip I was looking for the rubber inserts to plug up the finely machined edges that should have been buffed out to a nice, smooth edges. I can't tell how many times I jabbed myself how many scrapes I had after the hunt. After it is all said and done I have one area for the folding handle and one for the flashlight which I rarely use. I guess it is great to have options, but there is only so much real estate on a gun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I got a hand-guard that was finely machined and crafted. After my first hunting trip I was looking for the rubber inserts to plug up the finely machined edges that should have been buffed out to a nice, smooth edges. I can't tell how many times I jabbed myself how many scrapes I had after the hunt. After it is all said and done I have one area for the folding handle and one for the flashlight which I rarely use. I guess it is great to have options, but there is only so much real estate on a gun.
I could not agree with you more!

I don't wear shooting gloves, so the inserts are a given. Keeping with my colour scheme, I'm thinking FDE Barrel and FDE inserts, with black hand-guard. The only benefit of these hand-guards is that they are light weight.

BTW, had my Pastor out last night with his new pistol, and he joined the range on the spot!

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

RegularGuy

May 30, 2014
✟15,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone ever built one here? The reason I ask, is I now have a winter project. A distributor affiliated with a Canadian manufacturer (Black Creek Logistics) is moving their retail and warehouse facility, and are having a sale to clear out instead of move some of their stuff. They are selling brand new, in the white, uppers and lowers for $89.95! I grabbed a set; now I'm trying to decide... Cerocoat or Anodize... Thoughts?

View attachment 233433
You might have a hard time getting just a few pieces anodized, due to costs, they usually do large batches. CereKote would be my first choice. Either way good luck.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You might have a hard time getting just a few pieces anodized, due to costs, they usually do large batches. CereKote would be my first choice. Either way good luck.
If you read back and look at the photos, I went with Wheeler Cerama-coat; CereKote is about the same expensive cost as anodizing here; the Cerama-coat, I did myself; and am very happy.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you read back and look at the photos, I went with Wheeler Cerama-coat; CereKote is about the same expensive cost as anodizing here; the Cerama-coat, I did myself; and am very happy.
I have a shotgun (old) I would really like to coat the receiver group.. It was painted many years ago by some really ignorant kid who had no clue that painting it with silver paint is just a dumb, dumb idea. So, how much did it cost to coat your piece?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have a shotgun (old) I would really like to coat the receiver group.. It was painted many years ago by some really ignorant kid who had no clue that painting it with silver paint is just a dumb, dumb idea. So, how much did it cost to coat your piece?
It cost me $45.00 Canadian for the can. You must clean it really well; if it is conventional paint, it needs to come off. What I would do is take the gun apart, take the part you want to coat and have it grit blasted; this will do two things; get rid of the paint, and give you more gripping area for your new finish. Make sure that you mask internals and threads before blasting. Clean it well with a good solvent that leaves no residue, like acetone or brake cleaner.

Likewise, anything you don't want paint on, mask too. Use multiple light coats allowing full dry between coats; then bake in your oven for an hour at 300 degrees; turn the oven off, and let sit another hour.

You are done. If you screw up, lightly sand the area, re-coat, and re-bake.

Upvote 0