Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It cost me $45.00 Canadian for the can. You must clean it really well; if it is conventional paint, it needs to come off. What I would do is take the gun apart, take the part you want to coat and have it grit blasted; this will do two things; get rid of the paint, and give you more gripping area for your new finish. Make sure that you mask internals and threads before blasting. Clean it well with a good solvent that leaves no residue, like acetone or brake cleaner.

Likewise, anything you don't want paint on, mask too. Use multiple light coats allowing full dry between coats; then bake in your oven for an hour at 300 degrees; turn the oven off, and let sit another hour.

You are done. If you screw up, lightly sand the area, re-coat, and re-bake.
thanks. i will look into it

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Project Complete; trial run complete.
  1. Runs like a sewing machine! From the first round loaded, it has yet to jam/misfeed/misfire.
  2. Shoots where you aim it; smallest group < 2" at 100 yards with a $30.00 red-dot. (it can do better).
  3. It looks good; feels good; and recoils less than my Remington 78 with the same ammo (Federal American Eagle bulk .223)
It's about 40 years since I fired one, an original Colt Sporter; this one feels nicer!

Sorry about the video quality:

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  1. Runs like a sewing machine! From the first round loaded, it has yet to jam/misfeed/misfire.
  2. Shoots where you aim it; smallest group < 2" at 100 yards with a $30.00 red-dot. (it can do better).
  3. It looks good; feels good; and recoils less than my Remington 78 with the same ammo (Federal American Eagle bulk .223)
It's about 40 years since I fired one, an original Colt Sporter; this one feels nicer!

One quick note: If your wrist rotates too much when shooting and puts a strain on your joints you can get a replacement grip that has something like 5 or 7 degrees less angle. Mine was too small and uncomfortable so I went looking for something different. The one I found has the same feel as a 1911 in my hand. I can hold it and shoot all day without feeling like my wrist is going to break off. (Arthritis at 63, go figure)

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Don't take me wrong but I always feel cheated if I don't get the see the target. Especially when a rest is used because if used properly it will show the guns ability for accuracy. However, I also know that the particular bullet and weight and shape can make a huge difference when you are talking 2 inches at 100 yards. With a red dot 2"@100 yards is really great. That said, I enjoyed following you build it.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Don't take me wrong but I always feel cheated if I don't get the see the target. Especially when a rest is used because if used properly it will show the guns ability for accuracy. However, I also know that the particular bullet and weight and shape can make a huge difference when you are talking 2 inches at 100 yards. With a red dot 2"@100 yards is really great. That said, I enjoyed following you build it.

Between being busy at work, and the continuous rain, I have not had a lot of opportunity to get out and shoot. I have taken the red dot off the rifle; while the rifle was getting tight groups, the 1" per click on that sight adjustment made it unable to zero exactly where I wanted. I picked up an older Japanese made Tasco 1.75 x 5 x 20 scope; like all the old Tascos, super clear optics, and am in the process of sighting it in. I had to add a 1/2" riser and am using a one piece UTC quick detach mount. I have also added Diamondhead style spring loaded flip-up back up sights, and have not had a chance to sight them in either, and some rail addapters for a sling swivel and bi-pod. On a whim I picked up a v vertical grip with spring loaded bi-pod. These usually sell for $150.00 up here, but I found the same one, brand new in the airgun section of our local surplus store for $35.00. It may be no good, but for that price, I could not leave it there. I will take some pictures if I can get out to the range and not get rained out.

Still scratching my head on a muzzle device; may just get a thread protector, as spectators love the muzzle flash!

• Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If ,and I do mean if, I were to do so it would be closer to an AR10 as in 6.5 Creedmoor. Much superior range, knock down, and penetration!
I agree; here in Canada, AR15s are restricted by name (no logic behind it) so the AR is strictly a range rifle up here. The result is that they are relatively inexpensive. My upper and lower are forged, MIL spec and made here. I got a deal on them at $85 CDN for both. The AR10 variants are not restricted, and can be hunted with here in Canada, so they and their components are in a lot higher demand, and that is reflected in their price. I was in a gun store in London Ontario yesterday, and they had a basic M & P AR .223 new for $599.00 CAN. I used some upscale components in mine and if I take the cost of the tools, bench block etc out of the equation; I'm between $600 and $700 in mine, and it is a joy to shoot, and quite accurate (with home loads)

However, there are some new cartridges coming available such as the .22 Nosler that have a lot more long range potential; and another I read about a few weeks ago; the 224 Valkyrie: In the article, the Author chose to compare it not to the 5.56, but to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Impressive, but not yet all that common.

I have a fun range toy; I have a 17HMR for the few times I blast ground-hogs (it shoots as far as I can see with my old eyes LOL), and if I want to hunt deer or moose, I have my good old 7 x 57 Mauser with double set triggers; it is also my heavy scoped target rifle; and for fun, I shoot a Moisin for open-sight target... those old rifles really shoot BTW!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree; here in Canada, AR15s are restricted by name (no logic behind it) so the AR is strictly a range rifle up here. The result is that they are relatively inexpensive. My upper and lower are forged, MIL spec and made here. I got a deal on them at $85 CDN for both. The AR10 variants are not restricted, and can be hunted with here in Canada, so they and their components are in a lot higher demand, and that is reflected in their price. I was in a gun store in London Ontario yesterday, and they had a basic M & P AR .223 new for $599.00 CAN. I used some upscale components in mine and if I take the cost of the tools, bench block etc out of the equation; I'm between $600 and $700 in mine, and it is a joy to shoot, and quite accurate (with home loads)

However, there are some new cartridges coming available such as the .22 Nosler that have a lot more long range potential; and another I read about a few weeks ago; the 224 Valkyrie: In the article, the Author chose to compare it not to the 5.56, but to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Impressive, but not yet all that common.

I have a fun range toy; I have a 17HMR for the few times I blast ground-hogs (it shoots as far as I can see with my old eyes LOL), and if I want to hunt deer or moose, I have my good old 7 x 57 Mauser with double set triggers; it is also my heavy scoped target rifle; and for fun, I shoot a Moisin for open-sight target... those old rifles really shoot BTW!
Why does CF insert flags in place of the word "Canada"? That's annoying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Why does CF insert flags in place of the word "Canada"? That's annoying.

Especially for “real” Americans, most don’t even know where Ca-nada is; let alone what their flag looks like.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I drive through (around) London on my way to visit relatives in Mississauga.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I drive through (around) London on my way to visit relatives in Mississauga.
Bulls Eye is a great gun store in London, they are just a few minutes off Highway 401; the other one is maybe 20 minutes further Gobels; they are the ones that had the M & P on for such a great price. I know that generally, we have a larger selection of powders and often at better prices than I see advertised in the US; but a lot of the powders have been and continue to be made here.

Higinsons actually package the stuff from bulk: HIGGINSON POWDERS INC. (they are about 4 1/2 hours east of Toronto. I'm not sure how the rules are for someone from the US taking firearm stuff home from canada; I do know that you can not export restricted or prohibited arms from canada (small c works). I know, due to ITAR if I want to bring anthinig back from the US it must go through a licensed importer; and that is everything from stocks, recoil pads, scopes, rings etc. It is legal for me to import into canada, but not to export from the US. I can buy ammo in europe or asia and have it shipped to my home; I can't buy a box of .22 in detroit and bring them across the border.

Upvote 0