Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am old enough to remember the 1984 reelection bid by Ronald Reagan and how at the ripe old age of 73, most Democrats were complaining he was too old to serve a second term.

When Reagan left office after his second term he was 77 years, 349 days old. When Joe Biden took office for his first term he was 78 years, 61 days old. If reelected, he will be 86 when he leaves office. If Trump is reelected he will be 78 years, 220 days old on inauguration, becoming the oldest president ever sworn in.

Unlike our journalistic colleagues, I will leave this question of why we might be forced to pick between two aging candidates without an editorial comment. The presidency is a grave and trying job that aged many younger presidents. Why do we so blithely ignore this now at a time when we are faced with so many challenges?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think part of the issue is that both of these men want the office. As in applying for a job, should we as electorate discriminate because of age?

I think it should be taken into consideration. Why is it important the US President be at least 35? Is it age discrimination to not allow 20 year olds be President? If age at that end matters, why not the other?

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it should be taken into consideration. Why is it important the US President be at least 35? Is it age discrimination to not allow 20 year olds be President? If age at that end matters, why not the other?
Because it is not in the constitution.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump ruined me. He turned out to be the best president in my lifetime*, even with unprecedented badgering by both parties and the press (e.g. russiagate). I'll never again vote for a career politician in a presidential election.

*I just turned 70.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because it is not in the constitution.

Obviously, but there is a reason it's (35 yoa) in the constitution. I imagine it has to do with maturity. Old age can offer reasons also, e.g., cognitive decline or immanent death. It's unreasonable to assume we shouldn't take age into consideration. Should we elect a President who is 99 yoa?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's more than just those two. The average age in your senate is (iirc) almost 15trs higher than Canada's mps.

Your doddering candidates are 20+ years older than thr average world leader.

It's obscene that these two are your best candidates.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Catholic. For every job from priest to Cardinal, there is a loosely enforced retirement age of 75. By loosely enforced I mean that at around 75 there will start to be a conversation between the older priest and his bishop on how well he can perform his duties at his age. Often if they do not retire immediately, their responsibilities are curtailed to allow them to remain in a lesser role. Oddly, the one position that is immune from this age restriction is Pope. This leads to pictures of doddering Popes who are fighting off medical issues while trying to run a church of nearly 2 billion people. This is a real prospect with the President of the U.S. if we end up picking between Joe Biden and Donald Trump. I would contend that the Papacy generally is faced with a lot less challenges on a day to day basis than the presidency.

On a similar note, there are 15 members of the U.S. Senate and 36 members of the House that are 75 or older as of January, 2023. It makes sense to set a term limit of 75 years old or younger to run for Congress. That would allow members to be as old as 81 in the Senate when they leave.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is a real prospect with the President of the U.S. if we end up picking between Joe Biden and Donald Trump.
Barring the demise of one of them those are our options. Enough with pretending otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, but there is a reason it's (35 yoa) in the constitution. I imagine it has to do with maturity. Old age can offer reasons also, e.g., cognitive decline or immanent death. It's unreasonable to assume we shouldn't take age into consideration. Should we elect a President who is 99 yoa?
I look at old age as a potential advantage as well. As the old saying goes, with age comes wisdom (but sometimes age comes alone). You just want to get that sweet spot between wisdom and dementia. :cool:

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On a related note: The human brain doesn't fully mature until around age 25. That's when the brain reaches the "I wonder what long term consequences this action may have" mode.

If the voting age were 25, this country would be very different. And FWIW, I think dropping the voting age to 18 had a very detrimental effect on this country. In fact, one could make the argument that the beginning of our hyperbolic slide to failure began when the push for an 18 year old voting age started getting traction. I was around 18 at the time and I'm not very proud of where my mind went at that age. e.g. I was VERY pro-choice because I didn't want the responsibility of an unwanted baby. And that's as deeply as I thought of it. Obviously I changed my mind as I matured. Interestingly enough, it was around age 25, and this was a few years before I became a Christian.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Barring the demise of one of them those are our options. Enough with pretending otherwise.
Truthfully, I am concerned about the vice president candidates. With an aging President, there is a real possibility of them becoming President. If we look at the last two Vice Presidents, we have Mike Pence and Kamala Harris. I rate people in public office based on how well they serve the country and not their own political ambitions. If viewed in this light, there is simply no comparison between Mike Pence and Kamala Harris.

Mike Pence assumed the role of White House Corona Virus Task Force chair, which was a tough job, without a complaint. Kamala Harris has done little to lessen the crisis at our southern border and has stated her frustration that the task was given her to at all.

When faced with Trump pressuring Pence to seat illegitimate electors, Pence effectively killed his chances of going further in the Republican party by holding to his conscience and certifying the election. During the Vice Presidential debate when asked if she would take the corona virus vaccine if it was approved by the Trump administration, Harris replied that she would not take it if Trump told her too, but she would if the medical establishment did. Yet by September of 2021, Biden and Harris were requiring federal employees to get the vaccine or lose their jobs. Nothing changed in the way the vaccine was approved; but Harris flopped on allowing a President to tell people to get the vaccine from when Trump was President to when Biden was President. This to me shows a stark contrast in core values between Pence and Harris.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This to me shows a stark contrast in core values between Pence and Harris.
Pence isn't going to be on the ticket this go around. Until the former president names his VP there is nothing to contrast Harris to.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think part of the issue is that both of these men want the office. As in applying for a job, should we as electorate discriminate because of age?
In a debate with Mondale, Reagan, when asked about the issue of age in an election, said he wouldn't exploit, for political purposes, his opponents youth and inexperience. That said, age is an issue, and there is decline, though people decline at different rates. Biden is showing decline now, and even if Trump isn't now, it could be possible over the next four years. So yes, it is an issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I am old enough to remember the 1984 reelection bid by Ronald Reagan and how at the ripe old age of 73, most Democrats were complaining he was too old to serve a second term.

When Reagan left office after his second term he was 77 years, 349 days old. When Joe Biden took office for his first term he was 78 years, 61 days old. If reelected, he will be 86 when he leaves office. If Trump is reelected he will be 78 years, 220 days old on inauguration, becoming the oldest president ever sworn in.

Unlike our journalistic colleagues, I will leave this question of why we might be forced to pick between two aging candidates without an editorial comment. The presidency is a grave and trying job that aged many younger presidents. Why do we so blithely ignore this now at a time when we are faced with so many challenges?
If you want to start a petition on limiting the age of the office of President. I'd sign it. Until then, it appears we are stuck with two old white guys running for president. What do you think, 74 years old cut off date?

Where are the pictures?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you want to start a petition on limiting the age of the office of President. I'd sign it. Until then, it appears we are stuck with two old white guys running for president. What do you think, 74 years old cut off date?

Where are the pictures?
Here are two very uncharitable pictures that illustrate the point.
1706993360197.png

1706993917610.png

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a debate with Mondale, Reagan, when asked about the issue of age in an election, said he wouldn't exploit, for political purposes, his opponents youth and inexperience. That said, age is an issue, and there is decline, though people decline at different rates. Biden is showing decline now, and even if Trump isn't now, it could be possible over the next four years. So yes, it is an issue.
I agree. Reagan was showing decline in his second term, and Biden was showing decline well before he was elected. At least, IMO. Trump seems to be doing fine - so far at least.

Upvote 0