Calgary
✟29,071.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do not know what you are talking about but the two concepts are combined in the fourth commandment.
Of course you know what I’m talking about cause you replied to my earlier comment dealing with the same thing which is about before Sinai not at Sinai. Try being honest. And here you are doing exactly as I said: merging the two to suit your own purpose.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Canuckster said:

And some people don't know the difference between a sanctification and a commandment and merge the two to suit their purpose.
I do not know what you are talking about but the two concepts are combined in the fourth commandment.

Good point. So let's look at the command regarding the sanctification of the 7th day "sanctified" in both Gen 2:1-3 and Ex 20:11.

Gen 2:1-3
And so the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their heavenly lights. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

"and sanctified it" h6942 qāḏaš
to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate

Ex 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy

"and made it holy" h6942 qāḏaš
to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate

The thing that makes it binding -- is that God "sanctified it" - "made it holy" - and he did that on day 7 of creation week.

Of course you know what I’m talking about cause you replied to my earlier comment dealing with the same thing which is about before Sinai not at Sinai. Try being honest. And here you are doing exactly as I said: merging the two to suit your own purpose.

Your harsh accusation above could use more verbage explaining what your point is given that we have the same word for sanctified and made-holy used in both Gen 2 and Ex 20:11 regarding the seventh day Sabbath in the Bible.

No wonder Christ said the Sabbath was "made for mankind" Mark 2:27
No wonder Baucham applies the Sabbath commandment to all mankind
No wonder C.H. Spurgeon applies the Sabbath commandment in the TEN - to all mankind
No wonder scholarship in almost all Christian denominations in the world appears to do the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath day of rest, the seventh day, has believers remembering the seven days with which God was finished with all creation
Amen -- because it points specifically to 'the seventh day' where in Ex 16 God says "tomorrow IS the Sabbath" and for 40 years on that exact day - no manna fell.

"Remember THE Sabbath day... in six days God made... and rested on THE seventh day... therefore God blessed the Sabbath DAY and made IT holy"

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Holy is an old English word that means whole or complete, the Church has inserted a religiosity into the word; in the Hebrew I believe what is meant is, set apart, special, elevated in importance.

No matter how you look at it, you can't separate holiness from the word used for sanctified in Genesis 2:3 and Exodus 20:11. You can pick any one of the possible meanings (all of which are the same, by the way), and every one of them has a holy component.

Strong's H6942 sanctified (qāḏaš):

1. to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate
    1. (Qal)
      1. to be set apart, be consecrated
      2. to be hallowed
      3. consecrated, tabooed
    2. (Niphal)
      1. to show oneself sacred or majestic
      2. to be honoured, be treated as sacred
      3. to be holy
    3. (Piel)
      1. to set apart as sacred, consecrate, dedicate
      2. to observe as holy, keep sacred
      3. to honour as sacred, hallow
      4. to consecrate
    4. (Pual)
      1. to be consecrated
      2. consecrated, dedicated
    5. (Hiphil)
      1. to set apart, devote, consecrate
      2. to regard or treat as sacred or hallow
      3. to consecrate
    6. (Hithpael)
      1. to keep oneself apart or separate
      2. to cause Himself to be hallowed (of God)
      3. to be observed as holy
      4. to consecrate oneself
Let's look at the two passages concerning the Sabbath. Specifically, the last sentence in each.

Creation
  • Genesis 2:1-3 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Mt. Sinai/Ten Commandments
  • Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
The last sentence of both links them together. There is no way to separate them. The Sabbath commandment points right back to creation where the Sabbath started.

The same word for sanctification is used 12 more times in the Old Testament, which establishes its meaning as holy (Matthew 18:16).

Sabbath, Creation and Mt. Sinai

If...
  • ...Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).
  • ...Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28).
  • ...the Sabbath was made for man (Mark 2:27).
Then...
  • ...the Sabbath was planned before creation as God's holy day of rest, for man.
  • ...the Lord of the Sabbath is a reference to Jesus being at creation where He sanctified the first Sabbath, and made it for man.
  • ...the Lord of the Sabbath is also a reference to Jesus giving the Sabbath commandment by voice and written in stone on Mt. Sinai, at which time He pointed back to creation.
Reasonable conclusions:
  • God's plan was set forth from the beginning, before creation. Every act of creation was deliberate and made for man (man was given dominion over the earth; Genesis 1:26), which includes the Sabbath.
  • Jesus being the Lord of the Sabbath proves its perpetuity. Jesus is the perpetual Lord of the Sabbath. The Lord of the Sabbath is a title Jesus established (1) at creation and (2) reiterated at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20:1, 8 I am the Lord thy God... Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy...), and sent the point home by tying the commandment to creation (Genesis 2:3, Exodus 20:11). The Sabbath was sanctified as perpetual (Exodus 31:13-16) and as a sign.
  • At no point during Jesus ministry did He relinquish His title as Lord of the Sabbath, which means He is still Lord of the Sabbath (Hebrews 13:8), and the Sabbath was ever binding from the seventh day of creation forward.
The Sabbath: A Perpetual Covenant

There is a reason Jesus calls Himself Lord of the Sabbath. He has emphasized it over and over again. So much so that it covers all time periods, from creation to eternity.
  • From creation forward—The Sabbath is observed by God, sanctified as a day of rest.
    • Genesis 2:1-3 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
  • From Mt. Sinai back to creation—The Sabbath commandment pointing back to creation shows that the Sabbath was to be observed between creation and Mt. Sinai.
    • Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
  • From Mt. Sinai forward—The Sabbath commandment pointing forward has no end, only the command to remember. The Sabbath was/is to be observed.
    • Exodus 20:8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  • From the Mount of Olives forward—Jesus mentions the Sabbath as being observed when the great tribulation starts.
    • Matthew 24:20-21 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
  • From the first angel's message back to creation—The last call to worship in Revelation 14:7 pointing back from the end time to creation, spans the whole of earth's history. The Sabbath was/is to be observed from creation forward.
    • Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
  • From the first angel's message forward—The command in Revelation 14:7 to fear God, give glory to Him and worship Him has no end.
    • Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
  • On to eternity—Isaiah says the Sabbath will be observed in the new heavens and the new earth. No end is mentioned.
    • Isaiah 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Amen -- because it points specifically to 'the seventh day' where in Ex 16 God says "tomorrow IS the Sabbath" and for 40 years on that exact day - no manna fell.

"Remember THE Sabbath day... in six days God made... and rested on THE seventh day... therefore God blessed the Sabbath DAY and made IT holy"

The word "holy" makes me nervous, it is Pagan; the translations usually say "sanctified", which is better; but what ever God said it was to do with Law not Pagan piousness. I think the truth is important and also the ability to distinguish between the way of God and the way of his enemy.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No matter how you look at it, you can't separate holiness from the word used for sanctified in Genesis 2:3 and Exodus 20:11. You can pick any one of the possible meanings (all of which are the same, by the way), and every one of them has a holy component.

Strong's H6942 sanctified (qāḏaš):

1. to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate
    1. (Qal)
      1. to be set apart, be consecrated
      2. to be hallowed
      3. consecrated, tabooed
    2. (Niphal)
      1. to show oneself sacred or majestic
      2. to be honoured, be treated as sacred
      3. to be holy
    3. (Piel)
      1. to set apart as sacred, consecrate, dedicate
      2. to observe as holy, keep sacred
      3. to honour as sacred, hallow
      4. to consecrate
    4. (Pual)
      1. to be consecrated
      2. consecrated, dedicated
    5. (Hiphil)
      1. to set apart, devote, consecrate
      2. to regard or treat as sacred or hallow
      3. to consecrate
    6. (Hithpael)
      1. to keep oneself apart or separate
      2. to cause Himself to be hallowed (of God)
      3. to be observed as holy
      4. to consecrate oneself
Let's look at the two passages concerning the Sabbath. Specifically, the last sentence in each.

Creation
Mt. Sinai/Ten Commandments
  • Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
The last sentence of both links them together. There is no way to separate them. The Sabbath commandment points right back to creation where the Sabbath started.

The same word for sanctification is used 12 more times in the Old Testament, which establishes its meaning as holy (Matthew 18:16).

Sabbath, Creation and Mt. Sinai

If...
  • ...Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).
  • ...Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28).
  • ...the Sabbath was made for man (Mark 2:27).
Then...
  • ...the Sabbath was planned before creation as God's holy day of rest, for man.
  • ...the Lord of the Sabbath is a reference to Jesus being at creation where He sanctified the first Sabbath, and made it for man.
  • ...the Lord of the Sabbath is also a reference to Jesus giving the Sabbath commandment by voice and written in stone on Mt. Sinai, at which time He pointed back to creation.
Reasonable conclusions:
  • God's plan was set forth from the beginning, before creation. Every act of creation was deliberate and made for man (man was given dominion over the earth; Genesis 1:26), which includes the Sabbath.
  • Jesus being the Lord of the Sabbath proves its perpetuity. Jesus is the perpetual Lord of the Sabbath. The Lord of the Sabbath is a title Jesus established (1) at creation and (2) reiterated at Mt. Sinai (Exodus 20:1, 8 I am the Lord thy God... Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy...), and sent the point home by tying the commandment to creation (Genesis 2:3, Exodus 20:11). The Sabbath was sanctified as perpetual (Exodus 31:13-16) and as a sign.
  • At no point during Jesus ministry did He relinquish His title as Lord of the Sabbath, which means He is still Lord of the Sabbath (Hebrews 13:8), and the Sabbath was ever binding from the seventh day of creation forward.
The Sabbath: A Perpetual Covenant

There is a reason Jesus calls Himself Lord of the Sabbath. He has emphasized it over and over again. So much so that it covers all time periods, from creation to eternity.
  • From creation forward—The Sabbath is observed by God, sanctified as a day of rest.
  • From Mt. Sinai back to creation—The Sabbath commandment pointing back to creation shows that the Sabbath was to be observed between creation and Mt. Sinai.
    • Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
  • From Mt. Sinai forward—The Sabbath commandment pointing forward has no end, only the command to remember. The Sabbath was/is to be observed.
    • Exodus 20:8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  • From the Mount of Olives forward—Jesus mentions the Sabbath as being observed when the great tribulation starts.
    • Matthew 24:20-21 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
  • From the first angel's message back to creation—The last call to worship in Revelation 14:7 pointing back from the end time to creation, spans the whole of earth's history. The Sabbath was/is to be observed from creation forward.
  • From the first angel's message forward—The command in Revelation 14:7 to fear God, give glory to Him and worship Him has no end.
  • On to eternity—Isaiah says the Sabbath will be observed in the new heavens and the new earth. No end is mentioned.
    • Isaiah 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

I have lost track of the discussion, I may have got my threads crossed.

I recall that Baptist Pastor saying some really good new stuff but then he went on to talk of doctrine I could not agree with; so I reasoned I may have misunderstood him; me providing my own context and so on.

I do not disagree with anything you have said, but you have not addressed the issue being debated and defined many posts back (unfortunately off topic); the person I was debating seemed to have missed the point also; “holy” is a hollow word that places a pagan religiosity veneer over scripture. By hollow I mean that the reader has to provide the meaning of the word, which is the opposite to how it is supposed to work, the writer should define his words or provide the meaning, and this is how I is in the original text.

One comment I remember making, regarding the word “holy”, there are seven Hebrew words and four Greek words rendered/translated “holy”.

From Strong I derived these meanings:

The seven Hebrew words, between them, mean: good, temple, palace, sacred, ceremonial, sanctuary, beginning place, act of making sanctified, sanctified thing or place.

These from the OT are all to do with God's presence, God's commandments, and God's actions.

The four/five Greek words, according to Strong mean:

make sacred, blameless, sacred, right character, pious. These need to be understood, for practical reasons, in the context of Gentiles treading the sanctuary of God, underfoot.

These English words probably have a different meaning for you than they do for me; what I see is the word meaning to make sacred is used once in Rev 22:11, “let them that have been made dear to God remain dear to God.” 1 John 2:20, Änd ye have an anointing from the blameless One.” Holy agitates me grossly.

There are no word for word equivalents, only approximations, between English and Greek or Hebrew. Even so I still prefer word for word translations and rely on the Spirit of God for understanding.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This is where pastor Baucham deals with many objections found on this Sabbath-and-Law forum in a single sermon
I wonder why the 7th day Sabbath is put before every other law of God. Is it the Sabbath we worship or God? I would prefer to put my faith in God rather than Saturday being my God.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why the 7th day Sabbath is put before every other law of God. Is it the Sabbath we worship or God? I would prefer to put my faith in God rather than Saturday being my God.
The Sabbath is not put above the other laws. James said if you break one of the commanemnts you break them all James 2:10-12 and Jesus tells us to keep the least of the commandments quoting right from the Ten Matthew 5:19-30. The Sabbath commandment is the only commandment people object to for some strange reason, not sure why anyone would not want to honor God on His holy and blessed day. Exodus 20:8-11, Genesis 2:1-3, Isaiah 58:13

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Sabbath is not put above the other laws. James said if you break one of the commanemnts you break them all James 2:10-12 and Jesus tells us to keep the least of the commandments quoting right from the Ten Matthew 5:19-30. The Sabbath commandment is the only commandment people object to for some strange reason, not sure why anyone would not want to honor God on His holy and blessed day. Exodus 20:8-11, Genesis 2:1-3, Isaiah 58:13
Do you worship God or the Sabbath? I worship God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you worship God or the Sabbath? I worship God
I’m not sure how one even worships the Sabbath. Worshipping God is through our obedience to Him Matthew 15:9. I worship God on the day God commanded us to keep holy. Exodus 20:8-11 The only day God blessed and sanctified and the day God rested from His works and told us to, because we are made in Him image to follow Him. When we do what we want over God’s commandments - Jesus warns us that one worships in vain. Matthew 15:3-9

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

There is more to the seventh day Sabbath, and the annual Sabbaths, than it's place in the Law; it is a sign of a number of things; if kept properly it is a sign that a person has entered into the covenant. The Sunday people think that the covenant is abrogated and therefore cannot be entered into.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you worship God or the Sabbath?
God says "Love Me AND Keep My Commandments" Ex 20:6
"If you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
The saints "KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

The NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8:6-12 "Writes the LAW of God on the heart"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why the 7th day Sabbath is put before every other law of God

Christians that object to the Bible Sabbath often object in the form "I wonder why the Bible Sabbath is still to be allowed as INCLUDED in the Law of God for mankind"

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God says "Love Me AND Keep My Commandments" Ex 20:6
"If you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
The saints "KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

The NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 and Heb 8:6-12 "Writes the LAW of God on the heart"
That's right, we are under the ne covenant, not the old.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's right, we are under the ne covenant, not the old.
That is true of all the saved/born-again Christians in both OT and NT.

And all the lost are lost under that same "obey and live" OLD Covenant as is found in the Bible according to Gal 3.

The Jer 31:31-34 NEW Covenant has the "LAW written on the heart" which speaks specifically to the LAW of God (moral law of God) as known to Jeremiah and his readers.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Christians that object to the Bible Sabbath often object in the form "I wonder why the Bible Sabbath is still to be allowed as INCLUDED in the Law of God for mankind"
I think it's because they don't worship Saturday but they worship God. Is Saturday the only day we can worship God or can we worship him every day of the week? I don't think it's good to put a day of the week as an object of worship instead of God Almighty. Enjoy worshipping a day while I will worship a God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think it's because they don't worship Saturday
Nope it is because they don't accept that commandment of God as still being valid for Christians.

All Christians worship God - so you seem to be reaching for a "straw man" in that regard.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's good to put a day of the week as an object of worship
God said He has selected a day of the week for us to regard as a day OF worship.
The point remains.

If one keeps the scriptures that speak to this command of God at a sufficient distance they can more easily object to it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is more to the seventh day Sabbath, and the annual Sabbaths, than it's place in the Law;
True and not sure I stated anything otherwise.... but it is a commandment which is what defines sin when broken 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 and sin is what separated man from God, so its something that we should be diligently keeping.
it is a sign of a number of things;
Agree
if kept properly it is a sign that a person has entered into the covenant.
Agree along with all of God's laws
The Sunday people think that the covenant is abrogated and therefore cannot be entered into.
I think there will be many Sunday-keepers who did not know the Sabbath truth and will be saved, just like there will probably be people who understand the Sabbath truth and will left outside of God's Kingdom, but all of this is in God's hands, which I trust His righteous judgement.

Upvote 0