Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God said He has selected a day of the week for us to regard as a day OF worship.
The point remains.

If one keeps the scriptures that speak to this command of God at a sufficient distance they can more easily object to it.
I thought God wants us to worship him every day not just Saturday. Catholics have Mass every Saturday so we're covered. We are not Jews though who keep the Levitical laws. We keep the commands of Christ.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I thought God wants us to worship him every day not just Saturday. Catholics have Mass every Saturday so we're covered. We are not Jews though who keep the Levitical laws. We keep the commands of Christ.
If we kept the Sabbath everyday as commanded by God, nothing would get done, which is why God told us to do all of thy work and labors 6 days Exodus 20:9, but the Sabbath there is no secular work for a full 24 hours as it is the day to worship God and keep holy. Exodus 20:8-11. Isaiah 58:11

Of course one should worship God daily through prayer and devotion, but that is quite different than dedicating the entire day to worship, which is why the Sabbath is the only day that is sanctified by God as it is set aside for holy use.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I thought God wants us to worship him every day not just Saturday.
God declares His own seventh day weekly Sabbath as a day for no secular activity Is 58:13.
God condemns the idea of not working in any secular activity for the entire week.

To conflate daily devotions with a Sabbath day set apart for no secular activity is to ignore almost every detail in God's own Sabbath commandment.

In Gal 4 - God condemns even one observance as a holy day - being one of the pagan days. So clearly a daily one would never work as an 'insert' into the New Testament text let alone the Old Testament one.
Catholics have Mass every Saturday so we're covered.
Sabbath is not an hour of worship in the Bible.

Rather it is a "day of holy convocation" Lev 23:3 , and in Is 58:13 it is a day where no secular activity is allowed as Ex 20:8-11 and Ex 16 point out.
We are not Jews though who keep the Levitical laws. We keep the commands of Christ.
Paul say "what matters is Keeping the Commandments of GOD" 1 Cor 7:19
John says "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
John says "the saints KEEP the Commandments of GOD AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

Jesus says in John 14 there is no gap at all between the Word of GOD and the Word of Christ

Pope John Paul II in his encyclical "Dies Domini" also insists that the TEN are not at all "Jewish" but are for all mankind, written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God said He has selected a day of the week for us to regard as a day OF worship.
The point remains.

If one keeps the scriptures that speak to this command of God at a sufficient distance they can more easily object to it.
So only one day of the week is set aside for worship? I thought God should be worshipped 7 days a week.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If we kept the Sabbath everyday as commanded by God, nothing would get done, which is why God told us to do all of thy work and labors 6 days Exodus 20:9, but the Sabbath there is no secular work for a full 24 hours as it is the day to worship God and keep holy. Exodus 20:8-11. Isaiah 58:11

Of course one should worship God daily through prayer and devotion, but that is quite different than dedicating the entire day to worship, which is why the Sabbath is the only day that is sanctified by God as it is set aside for holy use.
So worshipping on Saturday is more improtant than any other commandment?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
To conflate daily devotions with a Sabbath day set apart for no secular activity is to ignore almost every detail in God's own Sabbath commandment.
So you don't do any cooking or turn the lights on or off when you observe the Sabbath?
In Gal 4 - God condemns even one observance as a holy day - being one of the pagan days. So clearly a daily one would never work as an 'insert' into the New Testament text let alone the Old Testament one.
So are you Jewish or Christian?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Christians that object to the Bible Sabbath often object in the form "I wonder why the Bible Sabbath is still to be allowed as INCLUDED in the Law of God for mankind"

I am not disagreeing with your words, I think your response needs more meat.

The first four commandments, dealing with our relationship with God, are presented first before the six commandments dealing with our relationship with our fellowman; does that make the first four commandments more important? Yes, the difference being order of respect.

When we consider those who oppose the Law of God, what really is the issue? The war in heaven; those overcomers, and the God of Israel, use the Sabbath as their banner; those who oppose God will use anything other than the truth as their banner.

For most of the first three centuries people who kept the seventh day Sabbath were charged with Judaism and persecuted by Rome; 1260 years later in Spain, for four hundred years, people who kept the seventh day Sabbath, were charged with Judaism, (keeping the seventh day Sabbath was used as evidence against them), and persecuted by Rome. Those who oppose the Sabbath, not only betray the God of Israel, but the they betray those who have been persecuted by Rome.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Christians that object to the Bible Sabbath often object in the form "I wonder why the Bible Sabbath is still to be allowed as INCLUDED in the Law of God for mankind"

I am not disagreeing with your words, I think your response needs more meat.

The first four commandments, dealing with our relationship with God, are presented first before the six commandments dealing with our relationship with our fellowman; does that make the first four commandments more important? Yes, the difference being order of respect.

When we consider those who oppose the Law of God, what really is the issue? The war in heaven; those overcomers, and the God of Israel, use the Sabbath as their banner; those who oppose God will use anything other than the truth as their banner.

For most of the first three centuries people who kept the seventh day Sabbath were charged with Judaism and persecuted by Rome; 1260 years later in Spain, for four hundred years, people who kept the seventh day Sabbath, were charged with Judaism, (keeping the seventh day Sabbath was used as evidence against them), and persecuted by Rome. Those who oppose the Sabbath, not only betray the God of Israel, but the they betray those who have been persecuted by Rome.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Your shot reply is a Pandora's box; so I am offering my Protestant views.

Keeping the Sabbath according to Law is not simply worshipping on the seventh day. There is a contract, a blood contract, Christ's Blood was shed because Israel broke the contract. Keeping the Sabbath is a sign that the contract is entered into. The contract includes the Levitical Laws. The command of Christ is to keep the Levitical Law; There is only one Law under heaven that the Word of God has given; that is the Levitical Law; Jesus is the Word of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
True and not sure I stated anything otherwise.... but it is a commandment which is what defines sin when broken 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 and sin is what separated man from God, so its something that we should be diligently keeping.

Agree

Agree along with all of God's laws

I think there will be many Sunday-keepers who did not know the Sabbath truth and will be saved, just like there will probably be people who understand the Sabbath truth and will left outside of God's Kingdom, but all of this is in God's hands, which I trust His righteous judgement.
I do not know who will be saved, but I would stick with scripture, Sunday keepers who become aware will need to repent; it seem that a little old lady with a small coin, or a thief on a cross, will find salvation easy, while a man with his barns full and has starving neighbors will find salvation difficult.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is most objection among believers to the perfect will of God. It really amounts to that, with each argument of we are under God's grace, as if it is not for turning from sin, the repentance that is needed, and that our being in the new covenant is meaning we are not under the old covenant, which is a false dichotomy as being under law is not being discussed, and the new covenant is involving us being in Christ who is the provision for everything required for sacrifices, the priesthood for that, and needed ways to be clean in the required way to come before God, with commandments put on our hearts. These are not contrary to the fruits of the Spirit of God but work with them.

Among what there is of the perfect will of God, which is not something done away with by anything offered with the new covenant, Exodus 31:15, work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to Yahweh. This means that even if nobody was remembering Sabbath and that it is separate to Yahweh, it still would be, and it always is. Whatever we do does not change that. Of course, and within the perfect will of God, we who are believers should come to God each day. That does not change that the Sabbath, each seventh day, is still holy and separate to God. It is desirable to God that we learn ways to keep it separate, certainly not doing anything to require others to work anything but godly service that day.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is most objection among believers to the perfect will of God. It really amounts to that, with each argument of we are under God's grace, as if it is not for turning from sin, the repentance that is needed, and that our being in the new covenant is meaning we are not under the old covenant, which is a false dichotomy as being under law is not being discussed, and the new covenant is involving us being in Christ who is the provision for everything required for sacrifices, the priesthood for that, and needed ways to be clean in the required way to come before God, with commandments put on our hearts. These are not contrary to the fruits of the Spirit of God but work with them.
God's grace which literal means gift is also victory over sin through us being in Christ and us in Him. In this there is no need for the law because we are not doing the things that we would.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics teach that they keep the commands of Christ? That is new to me. Or is that you just saying so?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Catholics teach that they keep the commands of Christ? That is new to me. Or is that you just saying so?
Catholics teach that we are called to preach the gospel of Christ. They have been teaching that since even before the New Testament was canonized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics teach that we are called to preach the gospel of Christ. They have been teaching that since even before the New Testament was canonized.
Teaching the gospel of Christ is one thing. That’s not what was said nor is it what I asked about. Thank you anyway.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's grace which literal means gift is also victory over sin through us being in Christ and us in Him. In this there is no need for the law because we are not doing the things that we would.

Every single time. I am not asking what grace is. I never do. But every time I mention it. Why? I know what grace is meaning. What I post stands.

God's will is the highest. God has favor to those who are God's people. They certainly do not all come equally to God's will with the growth they should have. But there are those who do work toward God's will more. And what is revealed earlier in the Bible from God is showing God's will, over anything else revealed, of God's grace and of concessions from God for those of this fallen and corrupted world, from the very beginning of the Bible and onward. So some of us make choices and eat accordingly, which is the most healthy way, and some of remember and come to rest better on the day Yahweh said is the day that is holy for it, when we have it possible, which we work towards. And we know it would be wrong for any to require others, people or other creatures, to work then. It is not about salvation, so it is better to drop argument against that strawman.

Upvote 0