Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sad day, sign of the times
Sign of what time?
And while some Germans may not like Australias decision, the large majority of Australians do. Some simply because they support SSM, while others couldnt tolerate existing prejudicial laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Limited though it is, my experience is that men of past generations are more authentically masculine than men today. That includes me. To note small example...my mother once told me of a time when a group of men were swearing within ear shot of she and my father. In response, he said something to the effect of "Don't you see there's a lady here?" I can't see me or most men today reacting that way.
There are certainly men who hit the gym and drink protein drinks. But their masculinity seems more forced than natural. Maybe it's the lack of the draft for men now. For a modern female perspective, these are good insights.

The thing is, it's impossible for all men to be "authentically masculine", because masculinity is a set of stereotypes that some people fit and others don't. There's nothing wrong with being masculine, just like there's nothing wrong with not being masculine, but authenticity happens only when someone is allowed to be themselves. In a society of authentic people, some men would be masculine, and other wouldn't. So if, in a society, all or almost all men appear masculine to you, then you can be sure that at least some of them aren't authentic at all, only pretending in order to avoid harm.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The thing is, it's impossible for all men to be "authentically masculine", because masculinity is a set of stereotypes that some people fit and others don't. There's nothing wrong with being masculine, just like there's nothing wrong with not being masculine, but authenticity happens only when someone is allowed to be themselves. In a society of authentic people, some men would be masculine, and other wouldn't. So if, in a society, all or almost all men appear masculine to you, then you can be sure that at least some of them aren't authentic at all, only pretending in order to avoid harm.
I see what you mean. It's hard to define. But the masculinity I'm referring to is unforced. My father is in is 80s. Growing up, it seemed that he and my uncles were naturally masculine, even if they weren't physically imposing. My father is 5' 9'' and on the thin side, but he had (and has) an edge to him that men seem to lack now.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We're becoming so civilized we'll eventually evolve past all morals.

No, we'll just evolve past the old morals and have new ones. That's how it works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No idea what this has to do with my post. I'm seeing this a lot recently.

Sometimes I just direct questions toward people who I respect. Sorry about that. Won't happen again.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh they were... just for a certain subset of people.

At least there's not much farther we can go at this point, is there..? At least not for humanity. :)

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Growing up, kids tend to idolize their uncles, or cousins or maybe their dad... it all depends on who leaves the biggest impression.

I guess I idolized my uncle, who was a very generous person but had some bad streaks in him. He wasnt "masculine" per se, he was a skinny red head who was an alcoholic gun fanatic, who offered me cigarettes and playboy magazines when I was 6 because he was a care-free kind of individual.

Ive always wanted to be a care-free individual like that. Not alpha or beta. Just care free. Like James Dean.

We only saw uncle Tim once every couple years, because grandmas house was so far away. And he's currently gone missing since gram and gramps passed away. He must be in his 60's by now, and still a rebel... What a guy! :cool: ....If he's still alive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0