In a new Gallup poll 30% of Gen Z women say they’re LGBTQ. Is that true? And what’s driving this surge?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Almost 30% of Generation Z women identify as LGBTQ, according to a new Gallup survey.

Could that possibly be true?

Well, the Gallup survey, which also found that 22% of Gen Z overall identifies as LGBTQ, is no outlier. In recent years, data has clearly shown a rising number of Americans identify as LGBTQ, in no small part driven by an enormous percentage of Gen Zers who identify that way.

A survey released in January by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 28% of Gen Zers consider themselves LGBTQ. Meanwhile, among high schoolers in 2021, only 74% said they considered themselves straight, according to a study released last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

What is driving this huge surge?

One possibility is societal acceptance. Same-sex marriage was legalized nationwide by the Supreme Court in 2015, the same year former Olympian and reality TV star Bruce Jenner announced that he now identified as a woman and wanted to be known as Caitlyn.

For Gen Z adults, which Gallup considers those 18 to 26, their youth was in an era of rapid change about LGBT views.

Since 2012, more Americans than not have favored the legality of same-sex marriage, according to Gallup. Since 2009, more Americans than not have said they believe that gay and lesbian relationships are moral. Even now, while 55% of Americans say they believe it is immoral to change one’s gender, as Gallup phrases it, a strong minority (43%) says they think it is moral to do so.

But widespread societal acceptance doesn’t seem to have so drastically affected other generations. Among millennials, about 10% say they identify as LGBTQ. That number drops to 4.5% for Gen X, 2.3% for baby boomers, and 1.1% for the Silent Generation.

This disparity is curious, and raises questions about the born-that-way argument about the innateness of LGBTQ identity. Wouldn’t Americans who had been hiding their identity now want to reveal it in light of current social views?

Continued below.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

2 Thessalonians 2:10-11

And with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false,

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because is promoted, and they say 'there is nothing wrong with it' and it's 'cool' now. It's society fault for forgetting good values, and media for promoting this stuff, and satanic also.
The bible just says woe those calling good evil and evil good.

But straying far from God and normal family values can only get society in a worse position, then they complain when mental illness skyrocket, all this brings more curse and suffering.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I found is this-

LGBTQ+ Identity, by Generation, 2023

Which of the following do you consider yourself to be? You can select as many as apply. Straight or heterosexual; Lesbian; Gay; Bisexual; Transgender

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This disparity is curious, and raises questions about the born-that-way argument about the innateness of LGBTQ identity. Wouldn’t Americans who had been hiding their identity now want to reveal it in light of current social views?
The "born that way" vs "right to choose" arguments are carried or dropped depending on their convenience to the immediate argument.

If scientists discover there is a "gay gene" that can be detected in the fetus where it could be aborted or cured in childhood, the argument will swiftly go to "right to choose."

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Indifference.

I have met people who 'want to try whatever' rather than having problems internally from trauma they just want to try something new.
Indifference leads to apathy of their sins.

Most folks have some parental trauma, or rather lack of parental love, moral guidance, or abuse of some type.
Then this new 20% are being fed - give it a try.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indifference.

I have met people who 'want to try whatever' rather than having problems internally from trauma they just want to try something new.
Indifference leads to apathy of their sins.

Most folks have some parental trauma, or rather lack of parental love, moral guidance, or abuse of some type.
Then this new 20% are being fed - give it a try.
That ain't trauma, that's just life.

My father and uncles had trauma, like having to kill men hand-to-hand in combat, being wounded by machine-gun fire from a tank, being the only survivor from an ambush and having to get back to friendly lines alone, et cetera.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

My father and uncles had trauma, like having to kill men hand-to-hand in combat, being wounded by machine-gun fire from a tank, being the only survivor from an ambush and having to get back to friendly lines alone, et cetera.

Exactly. Both my grandfathers fought in WWII against the Nazis and Fascists in Europe -- one as a fighter pilot, the other as a field medic. No surprises that they saw and did things that they didn't talk about. One also ended up in the Pacific theater, where he almost shot his friend in the face at point blank range when doing his guarding shift of their little hut (one had to stay up while the other slept, because the Japanese would sneak into huts and murder the occupants if you didn't have anyone guarding them). Are we really supposed to believe that 30 or whatever percentage of youth age 18-26 have ever dealt with anything like that? Heck, even my generation (Millennials), who had to fight in Iraq 2.0 and Afghanistan and largely lived through the shift from the 1990s post-Cold War era of relative peace and economic prosperity in our childhoods to the "War on Terror" era in our teens (I was 19 when 9/11 happened, but I'm also among the oldest millennials, so I think the oldest any of us could've been then was 20), never had to deal with anything like that. It seems like what counts as trauma gets expanded in every generation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Mean people do hurt people and a small child is traumatized.
The world today is indifferent to children.
Killed, enslaved, raped and people just keep on keeping on.

Many people, but not all, had a brutal upbringing by some narcissistic personality parent.

And yet 20% are gonna try it, not because of trauma but because it's the thing to do now.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Todays generation well into their 30s hide from combat.
In fact, few are entering into service now.

But trauma changes their brain, a developing brain, through brutality.
Senseless, abusive malignant people.
That has increased, and the fact government infuses the concept of trauma on them does NOT help our nation.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Many people, but not all, had a brutal upbringing by some narcissistic personality parent.

And yet 20% are gonna try it, not because of trauma but because it's the thing to do now.

Be that as it may, I don't think trauma is the answer as to why most who would 'identify' that way today do so, as you seem to agree in the last sentence. My father was a life-long opiate addict (first heroin, later other things) who stole from me and from his own mother (on her death bed, at that) and lied about it and all this, but I'm not about to be gay over it. That's not how life works. There's got to be something else going on, but since I'm not Gen Z and don't really know any Gen Z people (my Gen Z family members are all more distant relatives who I don't really get to talk to or see very often), I don't know what would be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No different from ordinary life since...ever. And it's less true today than ever in the past.

Years ago, I had a bad bicycle accident. I hit an obstacle in the road and did a 20-mile-an-hour faceplant into concrete. It shattered one front tooth and knocked my lower incisors into the back of my throat like a four-tooth bridge. I don't think I blacked out, but I got up and plugged those bottom teeth into place using the outside rearview mirror of a parked car. Then I pedaled to the nearest dentist. Right away, the dentist went to work giving me anesthesia while putting my jaw back together.

But once the anesthesia in my face kicked in...I began to realize my left wrist was also broken.

It's like racial microaggressons....notable today only because the big aggressions are so reduced. If white people were still bombing black buses and Sunday Schools and walking away without conviction, we wouldn't be talking about microaggressions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Be that as it may, I don't think trauma is the answer as to why most who would 'identify' that way today do so, as you seem to agree in the last sentence. My father was a life-long opiate addict (first heroin, later other things) who stole from me and from his own mother (on her death bed, at that) and lied about it and all this, but I'm not about to be gay over it. That's not how life works. There's got to be something else going on, but since I'm not Gen Z and don't really know any Gen Z people (my Gen Z family members are all more distant relatives who I don't really get to talk to or see very often), I don't know what would be.
Most traumatized individuals are either severely beaten, or molested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums