Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would say be careful with such things. Many near death experiences also come with a sudden "revelation" that the person expects others to accept. Such as toll house theory in the EO, or the 7 circles in the RCC, or any other church. It is dangerous to take such visions with much weight. We do not yet know the full extent that the human brain operates after the body is dead. Who is to say our religious beliefs don't manifest into something once the brain realizes its dying. Also the possibility of hallucinations from lack of functioning lungs...

What God wanted revealed he revealed in the Apostles and Early Church. Some men have the gift of clairvoyance, but when they claim prophecy, it is a step too far.
I would agree.

It might be strange, but I have actually two in people close to me.

My father was in an accident and was "dead" then revived. He had been a lay preacher, Pentecostal Oneness, VERY legalistic (everything was forbidden from wearing makeup or jewelry or pants or cutting hair for women, to wearing ties for men, to playing any game - especially cards - to reading about half the books ever printed, watching sci-fi on TV, any mention of Santa Clause, dancing, listening to music, etc. etc. etc.) The ironic thing is they were - not kind at all in how they talked about anyone and not REALLY about putting away serious sins of the heart. When he came back, he was a changed man. Quiet. Humbled. He would get tears in his eyes and hope people loved Jesus. I didn't hear him condemn anyone else after that. But he loosened up tremendously on the outward legalistic stuff. Yet his HEART seemed to be changed. He didn't want to talk about his experience.

My father-in-law as well. His case was quite different, and I didn't know him as well. He seemed to come out with something between hardness and despair, and ultimately a fear of death. He absolutely refused to talk about it. But he seemed not inclined toward faith. He loved his family but his other main focus seemed to be living life for what he could get out of it. He wasn't especially kind to me, but not outright cruel either.

I don't know what to make of them really, except that whatever happened to my father seemed a real wake-up call.

Neither of them became psychic. Neither of them wrote books or even wanted to tell anyone. I only know it happened, and observed how it affected each of them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The "thing" that has always stuck in my mind when reading about these NdEs is that they characteristically do not deal with "the afterlife." They deal only with the few minutes after the person in question has apparently died and before he recovers to tell what he saw. It never gets to the pearly gates or what hell is like, etc.

However, there have been some people lately who have written books about lengthier stays in heaven or hell or somewhere like that...and these are not what NdEs used to mean. These seem to me to violate the term Near death experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "thing" that has always stuck in my mind when reading about these NdEs is that they characteristically do not deal with "the afterlife." They deal only with the few minutes after the person in question has apparently died and before he recovers to tell what he saw. It never gets to the pearly gates or what hell is like, etc.

However, there have been some people lately who have written books about lengthier stays in heaven or hell or somewhere like that...and these are not what NdEs used to mean. These seem to me to violate the term Near death experiences.
True. I actually know one other person, who was a good friend. She tried to commit suicide, and described a lengthier experience - meadows, flowers, people, what happened there. That might be more in keeping with the true "NDE". But my friend, much as I love her, is sometimes prone to exaggeration, so I would never be able to take anything she said as any illumination on any spiritual topic. And also maybe more typically, she likes talking about it. She didn't even come to mind though when I was thinking of people I knew this had happened to.

Upvote 0

Ask21771

Nov 19, 2016
United States
✟15,891.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
True. I actually know one other person, who was a good friend. She tried to commit suicide, and described a lengthier experience - meadows, flowers, people, what happened there. That might be more in keeping with the true "NDE". But my friend, much as I love her, is sometimes prone to exaggeration, so I would never be able to take anything she said as any illumination on any spiritual topic. And also maybe more typically, she likes talking about it. She didn't even come to mind though when I was thinking of people I knew this had happened to.
would she be considered a false prophet

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
would she be considered a false prophet
I think it's already been put forth in this thread - what is the definition of a false prophet?

One would have to consider on that basis and decide.

For me, no. I haven't met anyone I considered a prophet and then found them to be false.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My S.O. was in a coma for weeks as a child. She remembers being in a house porch on a meadow for a very long period of time, then being drawn into a tunnel and being turned back.

Another thing to consider is that people that are totally blind have had near death experiences and described seeing things, including color. If this were the brain just engaged in some kind of dream-like activity, that should not happen, because blind people's dreams do not include visual information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If the nde doesn't match the Bible does simply sharing it make someone a false prophet
Possibly, yes if a person shares an NDE that says there is no hell. Possibly, no if a person's NDE is unclear or it doesn't contradict the Bible.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I'm concerned near death experiences are deceptions used by the devil to turn people into false prophets here are the reasons why

1. Ndes themselves contradict the Bible
2. The ones who have ndes usually become less religious
3. They also gain psychic powers

Goodness me, what on earth have you been reading?
1. NDEs themself do not contradict the bible.
2. Those who have NDEs usually tend to become more spiritually minded.
3. They do not necessarily gain psychic powers.

Of course personal freewill ensures the above does not apply to everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I am convinced that the NDE is the natural response of some people to temporary oxygen starvation. Outside of the "tunnel of light" the stories told are quite culturally and religiously conditioned. There is no need to invoke the supernatural here.
My wife was only three years old when she first visited heaven. Her parents were not Christian so she had no cultural experience to condition her. Despite that, she met Jesus who told her many things, and she also saw the heavenly city.

When she was eighteen, someone gave her a bible which she read through. She realised that the bible was all true when she read about the heavenly city, described just as she had seen it 15 years earlier.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I'm not talking about anyone I'm talking about people who have had ndes
Yes I know, but I don't know why you keep going on about it as NDEs have nothing to do with being a false prophet.

Upvote 0