Ask21771

Nov 19, 2016
United States
✟15,891.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
As long they don't contradict the Bible, they are fine. Years ago, I read the evangelical Deceived by Light, which was a response to Embraced by Light, written by Mormon Betty Eadie.
What about the ones who do contradict the bible, are they false prophets

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What about the ones who do contradict the bible, are they false prophets
If they contradict the bible, then ignore them. It's possible people are self-deceived and leading others astray without realizing it. Or they are not consciously false prophets.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say be careful with such things. Many near death experiences also come with a sudden "revelation" that the person expects others to accept. Such as toll house theory in the EO, or the 7 circles in the RCC, or any other church. It is dangerous to take such visions with much weight. We do not yet know the full extent that the human brain operates after the body is dead. Who is to say our religious beliefs don't manifest into something once the brain realizes its dying. Also the possibility of hallucinations from lack of functioning lungs...

What God wanted revealed he revealed in the Apostles and Early Church. Some men have the gift of clairvoyance, but when they claim prophecy, it is a step too far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that the NDE is the natural response of some people to temporary oxygen starvation. Outside of the "tunnel of light" the stories told are quite culturally and religiously conditioned. There is no need to invoke the supernatural here.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that the NDE is the natural response of some people to temporary oxygen starvation. Outside of the "tunnel of light" the stories told are quite culturally and religiously conditioned. There is no need to invoke the supernatural here.
FWIW, many are not religiously-oriented and are nearly impossible to explain away. Sorta like crop circles (although there is no connection between the two).

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They do trust me I study ndes
They do...what? All NDE stories definitely are not religion-connected, although I don't doubt that some are.

please just answer my question
If your question is whether or not those people claiming to have had an NDE ALSO claimed that something happened which is unbiblical AND they promoted it rather than just reported what they think happened to them...

...they might be called false prophets, but it's not a certainty that the term fits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
what makes someone a false prophetb
In the Old Testament, it was a prophet who predicted something would happen but then it did not. Today, it would be someone who knowingly teaches false doctrine. It's possible that false doctrine could be based on an NDE, but it could be based on something completely different.

Upvote 0

Ask21771

Nov 19, 2016
United States
✟15,891.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
In the Old Testament, it was a prophet who predicted something would happen but then it did not. Today, it would be someone who knowingly teaches false doctrine. It's possible that false doctrine could be based on an NDE, but it could be based on something completely different.
so they have to know what they're teaching is false?

Upvote 0