• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

anyone else not like Sunday worship?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Jamdoc, Mar 1, 2021.

1. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,080
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Absolutely. And no one had to tell the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Assyrian Church of the East to worship on Sunday. Indeed, the Armenian Orthodox Church, which is the oldest national church in the world, is also unique in that they only have the Eucharist on Sunday or certain major feast days, like Epiphany-Christmas (following in the ancient custom, they celebrate both at the same time). The Armemian laity dont really attend the Divine Office on other days; that is something mainly reserved for Armenian monks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,080
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    The Word of God is Jesus Christ. The Gospel According to Mark says He rose on the First day, and rested in the tomb on the Seventh. Therefore, Saturday is the day of holy rest and Sunday the day of celebration of his victory over death. It’s that simple.

During Lent the Eastern Orthodox have on every Saturday, starting on the Saturday before Septuagesima, Soul Saturdays, in which the deceased loved ones of the congregation are remembered and prayed for.

3. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,629
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes your absolutely correct, there was no pope before 1054AD. Sunday worship goes all the way back to the apostles and was so widely accepted by Christianity that it never even made it into an ecumenical council because no one ever questioned the idea. It was certainly not decided by Rome.

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+29,462
    Anglican
    Married
    A slight disagreement. IMO, we could date the RCC with the bishop of Rome beginning to make his claims to universal jurisdiction, citing various reasons for the claims, and making some headway with that. We "could," that is. I'm not saying it's certain.

By the time of the Great Schism, the Roman Church was certainly well-established structurally, and the alleged jurisdiction of the Pope was recognized in the West if not agreed to by the Eastern Churches.

5. BNR32FAN

+4,629
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, first of all Sunday worship was not discussed at the council of Nicaea. It was which Sunday the Church would celebrate Easter that was discussed because evidently not everyone was on the same page as to exactly which Sunday it was. If my memory serves correct it was Alexandria that was celebrating Easter on the wrong Sunday. Second, Constantine didn’t take any part at all in any decisions made at Nicaea, he attended but did not interfere with the proceedings of the council at all. Sunday worship was never discussed in the ecumenical councils because it was never questioned because it came directly from the apostles.

6. BNR32FAN

+4,629
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well it’s hard to say honestly because as far as the Catholic Church was concerned, not the Roman Catholic Church, but the actual Catholic Church, the bishop of Rome’s claims were not substantiated and not backed by ecumenical council. The way I see it one could say that the bishop of Rome was in power in Rome before 1054 but they weren’t officially separated from the Catholic Church so they were still technically under the authority of the ecumenical council not “the pope”. But I get what your saying and it just depends on how a person wants to view the situation.

7. RBPerry

RBPerry Christian Baby Boomer Supporter

+269
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Bob, this subject has been beaten to death, I know all your arguments, you know mine and we don't agree. I have never implied that Saturday isn't the original sabbath. I was in a SDA theology class at Loma Linda and asked why God waited 1500 years to deal with the Saturday sabbath issue. I got several dumb looks, and then the progressive revelation comment came up again. I was reprimanded for asking the question. The great awakening has done more harm to Christianity than all the atheist in the world, and your Mrs. White was right in the middle of it.
    Do you still believe that those who keep Sunday as a day of worship are sinning?

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,550
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Then it's working... I would not ask for anything more.

BTW - I did not start this thread... but I am still partial to the irrefutable details I keep pointing out regarding the subject.

No doubt. I post for the sake of readers.

Eastern Orthodox kept Sabbath until at least the middle of the 4th century - I assume they gave you that reference from Bacchiocchi's book.

Ellen White taught that the Waldenses were also Sabbath keeping far beyond
    Were Waldensians Sabbath-keepers? | Adventist World

Historic evidence supports that

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,550
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    On the contrary -

1. No NT text says that.
    2. Christians from Jerusalem were known as Sabbath keeping even in the second century.
    3. Fourth century references show that Eastern Orthodox regions were still keeping Sabbath.
    4. Thirteenth century historic documents show that the Cathars and Waldenses were still keeping Sabbath.

10. imge

imge Well-Known Member

+955
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Actually, this is incorrect. The Sabbath has always been on the seventh day. It has always been a 7 day weekly cycle that changes not with any calendar. Sunday is the first day of the week and Saturday is the seventh.

11. imge

imge Well-Known Member

+955
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I would would pray to God and ask for the holy Spirit to lead you to His true church.

There are several churches including Baptist who worship God on the true Lords day, His holy seventh day Sabbath.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,550
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    In that case you may find this official commentary on the Baltimore Catholic Catechism after Vatican II - to be of interest

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  13. BNR32FAN

+4,629
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I never said anything to the contrary. They kept both the Sabbath and The Lord’s Day.

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,550
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    So then .. #1 in that list comes to mind.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+29,462
    Anglican
    Married
    This thread is getting rather long, but after all is said and done, the "bottom line" may simply be that the great majority of Christians worship on Sunday because 1) the Bible teaches us that the early Christians worshipped on the first day of the week in recognition that it is the day on which the Lord rose from the grave, and 2) they see no reason to depart from the near-universal practice of the church since ancient times.

16. Jamdoc

Jamdoc Well-Known Member

+1,060
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Yeah, this is kind of the crux of my dislike for Sunday worship.

17. imge

imge Well-Known Member

+955
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Interesting there is no scripture that corresponds with your claim. God only made one holy day. He blessed and sanctified only one day and asked us to remember and keep holy only one day and that is the seventh day. Exodus 20: 8-11. The real “Lords day” is God’s seventh day Sabbath which was made for all of us Mark 2:27

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,550
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Seventh-day Adventists used to be "Adventists" until they met Seventh-day Baptists and started looking into what the Bible had to say about this topic.

19. Jamdoc

Jamdoc Well-Known Member

+1,060
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Well to be frank, I disagree with a lot of SDA doctrines, so I wouldn't be a SDA myself. I'd be interested in finding a Seventh Day Baptist Church but I don't know of any in my location.

in fact looking online, the closest one to me is about an 8 hour drive lol.

20. RBPerry

RBPerry Christian Baby Boomer Supporter

+269
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Well then join the Adventist, then you can give up eating meat, drinking any alcohol, no makeup for your wife, and you'll fit right in. The Adventist are wonderful people that do love God. I gave up because I can't stand veggie burgers.