• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

anyone else not like Sunday worship?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Jamdoc, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,619
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    As far as I know, Baptist's do not teach the lunar Sabbath theory and Judaism itself fully disagrees with you. There is no scriptural, historical or any factual basis of it...in Judaism, the new moon was used each month for Rosh Chodesh but not for the weekly Shabbat which was on a 7 day cycle.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. tall73

tall73 Sophia7's husband Supporter

+4,294
    Christian
    Married
    @Yeshua HaDerekh
    @prodromos

There is evidence for the idea that it is a floating Sabbath:

Lev 23:23 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
    Lev 23:24 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying,
    In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall observe a day of solemn rest, a memorial proclaimed with blast of trumpets, a holy convocation.
    Lev 23:25 You shall not do any ordinary work, and you shall present a food offering to the LORD.”

Lev 23:26 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
    Lev 23:27 “Now on the tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. It shall be for you a time of holy convocation, and you shall afflict yourselves and present a food offering to the LORD.
    Lev 23:28 And you shall not do any work on that very day, for it is a Day of Atonement, to make atonement for you before the LORD your God.
    Lev 23:29 For whoever is not afflicted on that very day shall be cut off from his people.
    Lev 23:30 And whoever does any work on that very day, that person I will destroy from among his people.
    Lev 23:31 You shall not do any work. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwelling places.

Both the trumpets and the Day of Atonement were days of solemn rest. One was on the first of the month. One was on the tenth of the month. They cannot both be weekly Sabbaths.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,257
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Both those days are complete "rests", no work of any kind to be done regardless of what day of the week they fall. These days are referred to as annual Sabbaths. The weekly Sabbath is not set by the day on which those annual Sabbaths fall. Some years you will have two consecutive days where no work is allowed when an annual Sabbath falls just prior or just after the weekly Sabbath. Some years they will coincide.

4. tall73

+4,294
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, that was the point. They cannot be arranged to fall on weekly Sabbaths because they are not 7 days apart. They are annual sabbaths, and not keyed to the weekly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  5. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,209
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
  6. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+1,828
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Most churches pick Sunday because people tend to have that as free time. I doubt many do it to follow the RC Church. It's simply being practical.

7. Jamdoc

Jamdoc Well-Known Member

+1,061
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Probably, but at the same time the RCC sees it as a sign that we recognize their authority.

8. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,666
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    If you don't want to discuss it, then that's okay. No hard feelings. Naturally, I won't be convinced by your lack of effort, but I'm not of the opinion that every hill is worth dying on.

9. nonaeroterraqueous

+2,666
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I'd say you're both knowledgeable of traditions. Neither of you offered anything of substance. HaDerekh offered nothing but mockery and arrogance. I know why I think as I do. All I know about your position is that you believe what you do because someone told you that's what people have always believed.

10. nonaeroterraqueous

+2,666
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    If you want to be arrogant and condescending, then I'm sure you can find a suitable forum for non-Christians, where such behavior belongs.

11. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,257
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don't know why you imagine you have. Nothing you have offered has been substantiated.
    As do I.
    Then you are wrong about this too.

12. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,619
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Truth is truth...some can't handle it...

13. actionsub

actionsub Mike, he's just this guy, you know?

+186
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    There are small sects of Seventh-Day Baptists.
    Seventh Day Baptist General Conference | A Baptist Church That's A Little Different
    https://www.isdba.org/

And TBH, William Miller, who started the Adventist movement, was a Baptist preacher in upstate New York. (The whole seventh-day part of 7th Day Adventism was a later development...)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,250
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    ADVISOR HAT

[​IMG]

This thread was started as a question for Baptists and was started in the Baptist Congregational forum.

As a number of nonBaptists responded, this thread has been moved to Denomination Specific Theology

Folks, you need to respect the Congregational forums. They are for the member of that specific congregation. The site rule is this:

Congregational Forum Restrictions
    Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​

Please do not make us give warnings or do a forum specific ban. ​

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,567
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    The Bible says "the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:10

16. RBPerry

RBPerry Christian Baby Boomer Supporter

+272
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I was raised in a strict Saturday sabbath home, sent to SDA schools. The SDA make a big issue of Saturday sabbath keeping based on the fourth commandment. To me it isn't the day, it is the fact that we take a day to rest and worship the Lord.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,567
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    To me it is a question of what the Word of God actually says - and so far no one has a text saying it is "any one day in seven that you wish to pick".

Even the Baptist Confession of Faith section 22 does not say that.

18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+29,486
    Anglican
    Married
    The decision to make the Lord's Day the principle day of Christian worship precedes the coming of the Roman Catholic Church.

19. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,093
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    That’s not true at all. The Roman Catholic Church did not even exist when worship began on the first day of the week to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord.

The Roman Catholic Church as a discrete entity only emerged at some point between the 9th and 11th centuries.

20. tall73

+4,294
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, certainly the practice occurred earlier. For those wanting to understand the diversity of practice in the early church this thread in the law and sabbath section lists historic statements regarding both Sabbath and Sunday observance in early centuries:

How common was the observance of the Jewish Sabbath among early Church Christians?

If anybody has additional references, please post them. We can go through eventually and put them all in Chronological order to see what we can glean from it.

Some regional patterns may also be present.