Any famous people in your genealogy?

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Antoine Rossignol was a mathematician that studied cryptography. He broke the Huguenot cipher that helped in the war and then worked beside King Louis XIII's chief minister.He became famous for his cypher abilities and some weren't encoded until long after his death.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My sons have history...their lineage is of Andrew Jackson's daughter who married and one of my sons is "the 9th" (IX)...from that...his son is the 10th (X)... and one of their forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence, and also prior to that another had landed at Maxim's point (puritan or pilgrim I forget)....

My own heritage has an 1800ish Cherokee lady marrying and either escaping or avoiding/hiding from the Trail of Tears tragedy and moving to Ohio...

One of my uncles was a US Congressman in Ohio...

oh where do I stop??? :D

Upvote 0

BlandOatmeal

Jan 13, 2006
Oregon, ИSA
✟2,769.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Famous" people?

I don't think the truly "famous" people of this world have many descendants, if you are talking about people who were famous IN THEIR DAY. Until World War II, the United States were considered a barbaric backwater. Outside of Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley and Sitting Bull, I don't think very many people heard of any of us. I don't know how or if I am related to them; but they would certainly be cousins and not direct ancestors. Of recent Presidents, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Richard M. Nixon, and both Presidents Bush are cousins through common New England ancestors.

About half our Presidents, including Barack Hussein Obama, are descended from King Edward II of England. I once thought I was of lineal descent from him through Rev. James Fitch of Connecticut; but I no longer believe that is my correct line. I am actually quite glad to be rid, at least for the moment, of that attachment; because the Royals were a rather awful bunch, torturing and killing even their wives and children in order to stay in power.

Far from being famous, most of my ancestors were outcasts. The most "infamous" of them -- from the world's point of view, but not my own -- was Elder William Brewster, the Mayflower passenger who penned the now-famous "Mayflower Compact". He was a fugitive from England, because of his Separatist religious views. Other Mayflower passengers are also in my direct line, along with some of the closest associates of Baptist leader Roger Williams, Dissenter Ann Hutchinson and Mormon leader Joseph Smith. One ancestor was hanged, falsely accused of being a witch; another was hanged at Tyburn for sedition against Charles II; others were whipped, hunted down and exiled for association with Separatists and Quakers. Many of my Dutch forebears were convicted of mutiny by the English, after the latter took over their lands along the Hudson.

I have a famous pirate in my direct line, "El Caid Morato" aka "Pirate John" aka Jan Van Haarlem, Admiral and Governor of the pirate state of Salee, Morocco under Mulay Zidan. He raided as far as Reykjavik, Iceland, kidnapping entire villages and selling them back for ransom. His descendants also include Humphrey Bogart, the Vanderbilts and Jacquie Kennedy Onasis. He was married to a daughter of the Sultan, who claimed descent from Fatima, daughter of Mohammed; but my own descent comes through one of his Moorish concubines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dovahkiin

Evil's Agent...it's an anagram for Evangelist!
Oct 17, 2012
Murrica'
✟7,627.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My last name is Marlowe. We have traced our history back and can come to about an 80% assurance that we are related to Christopher Marlowe. If you know your ye olden conspiracy theories, many theorize that Christoper Marlowe was the real Shakespeare.

Also, her maiden name escapes me right now but my grandmother on my dad's shared her last name with one of the Mormon leaders. Not sure if that's actually true or not.

Upvote 0

Hidden101

Jan 22, 2013
✟8,608.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I wish I had some famous people in my genealogy. That would be cool, but then again, famous people are just people. I love what I have and proud of who I am.

Thats the ticket. Fact is, many of these noble people, well they have millions of descendants. Even then, why be proud of having an ancestor who was so incompetent that he lost his noble station? That goes for many people who trace noble lineage.
For other famous non-noble people, same thing applies. Too many descendants to make it seem special in any manner.

Upvote 0

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,312.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clayton Moore (Original Lone Ranger) was a Cousin...

And if you remember The Waltons, remember Bobby Bigelow from the Do Drop Inn? That is Mayf Nutter, he's my Cousin...he's been in some other shows as well...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

BlueLioness

My grandmother keeps insisting I am a descendant of Queen Mary of Scots.

This may also have been "Bloody Mary."

Mary, Queen of Scots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am kind of disappointed in her, murdering so many people...I don't want to think I am related to a murderer.

It brings me shame rather than honor. I am almost apologetic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dbakerman76

Reformed Anglican
Feb 20, 2011
New York
✟14,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,312.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't be ashamed..you can't pick your family...just be your best and do your best...

Hey, my Cousin Antony Armstrong Jones (Earl of Snowden) was married to Princess Margaret (Queen Elizabeth's sister)...they had kids (cousins)...so in a roundabout way, I guess I have ties with the Queen...but I'm not too proud of that at the moment...

Upvote 0