New South Dakota law targets abortion ballot initiative: Allows people to withdraw signatures from petitions

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem has signed a bill to allow signers of ballot initiative petitions to revoke their signatures — a move opponents decry as a jab at direct democracy and a proposed abortion rights initiative, which would enable voters to protect abortion rights in the state constitution.

--
Another example of Republican-led states trying to avoid the will of the people on the topic of abortion. This likely won't be successful, because the ballot initiative has thousands of signatures over the required number to qualify for the ballot. And despite claims that South Dakotans were 'deceived' by the nature of the initiative, it seems doubtful that thousands of people will withdraw their signatures. The new law clearly targets the current initiative in that it took effect immediately upon the governor's signature. This is a last ditch effort to stop this from reaching the voters.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Our state has petitions and there us a big 'decline to sign' campaign.

Can't pro lifers find a better way to prevent abortions than subverting democracy and tampering with voter initiatives?

How about kindness? Respect? Community support? Health care? Daycare?

Ugh.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Can't pro lifers find a better way to prevent abortions than subverting democracy and tampering with voter initiatives?

What of it? None of that enforces conservative sexual ethics nor makes women suffer for not adhering to them which has been shown to be more important than reducing abortion.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

Ugh.

I have a better idea. Why don’t they just bring people to faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior? Then abortions would be zero because they just wouldn’t get abortions out of adherence to their religion regardless what the law says. Instead they seem hell bent on using the jackboot of the law to reduce abortions. Fun note, one these two routes they are commanded to do by their Messiah, for some reason they like to use the other.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Instead they seem hell bent on using the jackboot of the law to reduce abortions.
Only if it’s done in a way that they approve of, a Colorado program reduced the abortion rate by half among the demographic targeted but did so with birth control so not one word of praise from pro-lifers.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Only if it’s done in a way that they approve of, a Colorado program reduced the abortion rate by half among the demographic targeted but did so with birth control so not one word of praise from pro-lifers.

I know they tell us they want to “Save the Babies” but their actions seem to suggest there are other goals they are pursuing.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Ugh.
It’s been a while since conservatism and evangelicalism have considered “persuasion” to be an effective means of conversion. Maybe 30-40 years ago, it was at least considered part of the arsenal, but not anymore.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,053.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
LINK

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem has signed a bill to allow signers of ballot initiative petitions to revoke their signatures — a move opponents decry as a jab at direct democracy and a proposed abortion rights initiative, which would enable voters to protect abortion rights in the state constitution.
I don't see a problem with this. If I voted on something and then changed my mind before the vote took effect then I'd want my vote revoked. I don't see this as any more than someone asking 'Are you sure?'

And yes, I know why it's being done in this case. And there's fat chance it will succeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums