Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Catherineanne - I am so all over the internet (I have a web business) there is really no point in hiding my name.

Fair enough. I have a site with my name on it as well, but I don't link it here; too many nutters. Present company excepted, of course. :wave:

Upvote 0

DataPacRat

Truthseeker
Feb 25, 2011
Niagara
Visit site
✟7,783.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Let's see... according to what records I've been able to find, on my mother's side, President Eisenhower is my 5th cousin 4 times removed, which makes President Nixon my 7th cousin 2 times removed's father-in-law. Via another path, I seem to be descended from some French counts, who were descended from Charlemagne, making him my 38th-great grandfather; and according to the claimed genealogy of Charlemagne, /he/ descends from the King of Troy during the Trojan War, Priam; which, according to Greek genealogies, makes Zeus my 120th-great grandfather. (That one's always good for an icebreaker, and put a fascinating spin on mythology classes...)

On my paternal grandfather's side are Russian Mennonites who emigrated to North America - we've hit a stumbling block there, in that we can't find any of the relevant Crimean records. My paternal grandmother's side seems to be from Cape Breton.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to know how you guys found out who you related to. I tried to do it myself, but there is so much to look in to (and I didn't have the expertise or the time). At least have a phone book and I can look in there under G and it will tell me who the genealogists are. It is basically time consuming.

My great aunt hired someone to trace the family tree back to the Mayflower. But that's only one side of my family. I want to research my other side, but I just haven't worked very much on it yet. It is time consuming, but very interesting. You have to start with something, I have information on family members names, birth dates and where they lived, who else was in their immediate family, etc. It makes it a lot easier to find documents if you have at least that to start with. I'm not very good at this yet though since I've only tried it a few times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tcwoods91

Friend of God
Jun 11, 2011
Newberg, Oregon
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Robert Livingston- One of the 5 who drafted the declaration of independence
Robert E. Lee- Confederate General
John Proctor- One of the main characters portrayed in "The Crucible." Was hanged in the Salem witch trials.
Charlemegne (and other royalty way back)
Rollo- Viking leader
Robert the Bruce- King of Scotland during the time of William Wallace
William the Conqueror
Other members of Europeon royal families (If your related to one royal family, you're related to them all)

Reactions: dbakerman76
Upvote 0

alton3

Jul 29, 2011
✟268.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Direct:

Eberhard Zangmeister, early Lutheran Reformer (1476-1539);
Murdoch Nisbet, Lollard and translator of Wycliffe's New Testament into Scots vernacular (1470-1558);
Hans Landis, the last Anabaptist martyred in Zurich (beheaded, 1614);
the Billington family (John, hanged for murder in 1630, wife, Eleanor, and son, Francis) of the Mayflower;
Rev. Richard Denton, first Presbyterian minister in the Colonies (1630);
Anthony Morse, brother-in-law of Elizabeth, "the Witch of Newbury;"
Thomas Barnard, Jr., a purchaser of Nantucket (1608-1677);
John Nisbet, Scottish Covenanter (hanged, 1685);
Edmund Towne, brother of "Salem Witches" Mary Eastey and Rebecca Nurse, both hanged in 1692;
Hans Nageli, Mennonite and co-instigator of the "Amish Division" (1693);
Zachariah Anjouvine, Jean Coutant, Daniel Giraud, and Ambroise Sicard: Huguenots and founders of New Rochelle, New York;
Stephen Jones and Samuel Howard: pioneers, settlers, and founders of Harlan County, Kentucky.

Indirect:

Presidents James A. Garfield (John, Eleanor, Francis Billington) and Millard Filmore (Samuel and Mary Billington Sabin); Pennsylvania founder William Penn (William Penn, Jr. and Margaret Rastall); Tennessee Williams (Samuel and Mary Billington Sabin), Richard Gere (John, Eleanor, Francis Billington); Eddie Vedder (Jacob Timmerman and Anna Margaretha Schutz).

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have two Declaration of Independence signers. The Lees.

Nope. But I have a suspicion that I had a distant ancestor named Ole who was probably drunk when the lumber wagon rolled over him.

Another worked at a distillery and fell in the vat one day. A co-worker dived in to save him, but he fought him off bravely and drowned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VintageDon

Texan, Minister, TechnoGeek, Foodie :)
Aug 12, 2011
Smyrna, DE
Visit site
✟16,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still exploring (traced our family back to the Plantagenet line, but just this weekend visited a cemetery out in East Texas and found the grave of one of my Great Uncles who had been a civil war Hero and settler: William Harrison Brimer

Got a number in the line, but this one of the most recent finds.

Upvote 0