Any famous people in your genealogy?

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesse James: on my paternal grandmother's side: her mother's cousin --her mother witnessed James hiding out in the barn.

Samuel Morse: on my maternal grandfather's side. His name and his brothers' middle names had "Morse" and their family shield had 3 dots in it.

Jonathan Loring: also on the maternal side: he rode with Paul Revere on the eve of the revolution.

Upvote 0

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On my mother's side, a great rabbi of the jewish portuguese community of Amstserdam and London, Rabbi Joseph Allyon, was one of my ancestors.

Not directly now (cousins), I have more famous people in my family.
- the Captain Dreyfus
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (and the rest of the Loui-Dreyfus family)
- the Servan-Schreiber family

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Djmatchu said:
do you know any good places to go and research my geneology???

The first good place is your family : begin there and get the most you can. That will save you days.
The second best place is the local administrations (at least in Europe, but I would be surprised if it were very different in the US) : townhalls, etc... where your ancestors have lived.
If you need, you can go to the regional, state or national administrations.
Since you american, you might want to search on the mormons site : they have the greatest genealogical database in the world : http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp .
If you have special needs (in my case : jewish family, etc...), you might want to look at the Cyndi's list website : http://www.cyndislist.com/

Good luck

Upvote 0

Organist

Hammond A102
Nov 12, 2004
California
✟12,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is all very interesting! Hope more posters come along and tell us their famous ancestors.

We also have a Lou Bass in our ancestors, and we THINK she was somehow related to Sam Bass, the infamous outlaw in the 1800s, but we can't find the connection (yet).

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
IrishGrace said:
me too!! Ok, well I've got one (Rutledge) but he & his brother were also governors of South Carolina... also related to Abe Lincoln & the Bushes...

One of my relatives pulled Abe Lincoln out of the river and saved the young Abe's life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
Djmatchu said:
do you know any good places to go and research my geneology???

Start with your parents and ask them about their grandparents and go as far back as you can with the eldest living family members. Write down everything, birth/death dates, where lived, children etc.. Get a program like Brothers Keeper that you can use to enter in all this information. When you have exhausted your living resources you'll have to start using the census' and looking for obituaries in old newspapers. The census' are sometimes available at local libraries, state libraries and are online for a fee like at Ancestry.com. The 1880 census is free and I think the site is called Family Search or something like that. The 1890 census is all but gone due to a fire :mad: . There's WWI draft registration cards online. The National Archives is a place where you can send away for your ancestors military files. There are lot's of resources, you just have to get accustomed to using them and know what to look for. A couple of the most valuable lessons is that records aren't always accurate and don't talk yourself out of the obvious.

Wyatt Earp
Lillian Gish
William Short (helped Nathaniel Bacon burn down Jamestown, "Bacons Rebellion")

Upvote 0