United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So far I know that I am descended from a man with the surname
Combs who died during the revolutionary war. I don't have all
the documentation yet otherwise I would try to sign up with
the Sons of the Revolution? (I think that's what it's called)

One of my brothers had DNA testing done and found out we're
descendants of a 5th century Irish warlord Niall of the Nine
Hostages (I looked him up and found out he was a REAL nice
guy.. *sarcasm* ;-)) hmmm but thousands are descended from him.

Reactions: mizangelwolf
Upvote 0

vja4Him

vja4Him
Oct 22, 2005
California
Visit site
✟7,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1) I have two Rutledge ancestors who signed the Declaration of Independence and Constitution

2) President Abraham Lincoln is my 3rd cousin, 5x removed. He was 3rd cousins with my 3rd great-grandfather, Brice SHIPLEY.

3) Francis COOKE who was a Mayflower pilgrim is my 6th or 7th great-grandfather.

4) Ann Rutledge, whom Abraham Lincoln courted, is related to our Rutledge line.

-- vja4Him (living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time, accepting hardship as a pathway to peace -- James 1:2,3; Isaiah 26:3)
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2009
✟15,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Neil Armstrong is a distant cousin of mine, 2nd cousin twice removed or something like that.

My 7th great grandfather was a colonel in the revolutionary war, Thomas Fletchall, he was well known then but not really anymore.

Some of my husband's ancestors were close friends with Marie Antoinette, so close in fact that they were plotting how to take her with them when they left France but they were never able too because she got into trouble. So she's no relation, but it's still an interesting story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SiyoNqoba

Jul 14, 2007
New Zealand
✟15,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that I have French royalty somewhere. My boyfriend and I actually probably have a common ancestor - Louis 1. I haven't really started researching my geneology yet, though.

Someone is my boyfriend's family traced their family tree back to c.600AD. They have several famous people.

The most interesting to me is Matilda, who married William the Conqueror. It was a little funny, because everyone in his family was claiming to be related to William the Conqueror, until I took a close look and said "Actually, no, you're descended from his wife's illegitimate children." I'd love to do more research on Matilda. I mean, she married a king and had her children declared illegitimate.

There is a Lady Godiva, but I keep forgetting to check her husband's name to see if it's the Lady Godiva.

Sir Loin steak was so dubbed in one of the family castles, so that means my boyfriend's family were wealthy enough to dine with kings (a king actually knighted the steak, that's how it was named, lol).

There are several other royal people, mostly English.

I can't wait to find out who I'm related to, lol.

Upvote 0

Organist

Hammond A102
Nov 12, 2004
California
✟12,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have read each and every one of the posts, and it all quite interesting. Some of us are related to the same people, and some that are related to others in that time period, and areas, and it would be amazing if our ancestors knew each other, and interacted in that history. Amazing!!:satisfied:

Upvote 0

vja4Him

vja4Him
Oct 22, 2005
California
Visit site
✟7,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would be very, very, very skeptical about any family history that is allegedly traced back any farther than 1600!

I have a family history that goes back to around 900 AD, but I can't contact any of the researchers, and there are no documents available for anything before around 1600.

I'm still trying to find documents for my family history between 100-300 years ago ... !!!

For most people, there simply are NO documents at all, period, before 1600 ... !!!

I know that I have French royalty somewhere. My boyfriend and I actually probably have a common ancestor - Louis 1. I haven't really started researching my geneology yet, though.

Someone is my boyfriend's family traced their family tree back to c.600AD. They have several famous people.

The most interesting to me is Matilda, who married William the Conqueror. It was a little funny, because everyone in his family was claiming to be related to William the Conqueror, until I took a close look and said "Actually, no, you're descended from his wife's illegitimate children." I'd love to do more research on Matilda. I mean, she married a king and had her children declared illegitimate.

There is a Lady Godiva, but I keep forgetting to check her husband's name to see if it's the Lady Godiva.

Sir Loin steak was so dubbed in one of the family castles, so that means my boyfriend's family were wealthy enough to dine with kings (a king actually knighted the steak, that's how it was named, lol).

There are several other royal people, mostly English.

I can't wait to find out who I'm related to, lol.

Upvote 0

Organist

Hammond A102
Nov 12, 2004
California
✟12,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would be very, very, very skeptical about any family history that is allegedly traced back any farther than 1600!

I have a family history that goes back to around 900 AD, but I can't contact any of the researchers, and there are no documents available for anything before around 1600.

I'm still trying to find documents for my family history between 100-300 years ago ... !!!

For most people, there simply are NO documents at all, period, before 1600 ... !!!

If a person can trace their family history back royalty, there are documents and history that can trace back. I have heard of people tracing their history back to the Bible. There are records in the Holy Land that are ancient.

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm related to the Rutledges who signed the Declaration of Independance, Goldie Hawn (and therefore Kate Hudson), George H.W./George W. Bush, Abraham Lincoln, and I'm sure there are a couple of others that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. That's just the family I'm related to through adoption. I've no idea if there are any in my biological family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SiyoNqoba

Jul 14, 2007
New Zealand
✟15,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for your concern, but they were royalty, which does change things :)

Upvote 0

Spirit_Star

Dec 14, 2008
USA
✟8,107.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can trace my ancestry back to every person living today, all I need do is go back far enough,
and strangely enough, so can you.

Is that not the truth. Everyone is related in some fashion even if its extremely distantly whether one believes in the bible or that people came from a few small tribes. It recently came out that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are something like 10th cousins.

As far as me I don't know since I'm adopted but my Dad (adoptive) well he and his brother were told they were some how related to Alexander the Great apparently our last name means Alexander however I don't know and I don't think they fully know if it is true or not. My biological mother last name was Bailey so maybe I'm related to the Bailey of Barnum and Bailey but probably not since its such a common surname.

Upvote 0