Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure/Sure. It is ridiculous that people trot out the pagan card because they have no idea what they are talking about, as far as football it is not my cup of tea baseball is much better :). I absolutely love Halloween

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Should christians celebrate halloween?/ Can christians watch football on sunday? (Answer with answer for first question slash answer for second question. Thanks:)

Michael

I don't see anything wrong with either, unless you honor the Sabbath on Sundays. Then no football. Halloween is pretend and OK for a fun dress up party.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,280.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes/yes.

Halloween if observed properly is a fun way for kids to enjoy or learn a public concept of sharing/giving. Unless done wrong of course where the keeper of the treats hordes them for themselves or takes the kids treats. But those would most likely be bankers and politicians or corporate entities houses. / As for Sunday, well if that is a person's 7th day of rest then are they going to the game or plunking down in front of a tv to loaf.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No/No

You're treading on very dangerous ground doing either. The former is a well known witch festival and satanic holiday that has nothing to do with the God of the Bible and is incompatible with the Christian view of death and the resurrection. The latter, as well as the former, puts you at serious risk of fellowshipping with idolaters in their idolatry (and fellowshipping with drunkards in their drunkenness too, especially with the latter). I've heard NFL stadiums rightly described as the local cultic worship center; and Halloween is literally derived from idolatrous worship. We're warned in 1 Corinthians 10:14 to flee from idolatry or we'll provoke God to jealousy. I sure wouldn't want to be found celebrating Halloween nor partaking in the events of an NFL stadium even from a distance when the Lord returned. We're warned that if we love the world the love of the Father is not in us, and also told that friendship with the world is enmity with God (1 John 2 and James 4). The love of the world and friendship with the world is inherently a part of Halloween and of what NFL football has become.

You should ask yourself though more than whether you technically can do them, but rather what is good and godly about them? What glorifies God about them? What could the Spirit of God have to do with them? True love for God operates on more than just what we can get away with; and if that is our primary concern, we're going to miss the goal of faith completely as well as end up justifying things that are truly out of the realm of Christian acceptability altogether.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27: "24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Should christians celebrate halloween?/ Can christians watch football on sunday? (Answer with answer for first question slash answer for second question. Thanks:)

Michael
Your at liberty do to do as you wish as a Christian.

Personal choice / personal choice.

Love is the aim, the goal of the entire Christian life, therefore anything less is missing the mark!

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why would a genuine believer in Christ who makes Jesus Lord of his life, want to participate in a pagan festival which celebrates witchcraft, which God actually hates? I don't have anything to do with Hallowe'en because I don't want to be identified or associate with something that God hates.

As far as watching football on Sundays, I don't see a lot wrong with it, except I am not a follower of football, so I wouldn't take the time to watch it on any other day of the week either.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Remember too that the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 11 that Satan transforms himself as an angel of light. Everything that is wicked will have people trying to justify it with some cloak of goodness and innocence, but if it is related to idolatry, witchcraft, drunkenness, or anything which God hates and is against His commandments it is accursed and cannot be godly nor profitable for a Christian. Saul tried to spare the best of that which God had commanded to be destroyed among the Amalekites and he provoked God to anger. There is no such thing as valid Christian liberty to walk in darkness and you'd do well to remember that many are biased because they savor the things that are of men more than the things that are of God, and may also be looking to justify themselves and ease their own consciences regarding their own compromises with darkness in what they say.

Beware that many thus described are out there. "18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:17-22)

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Michael
It's said that the wearing of costumes is to ward off ghosts. Clearly a superstition. But look at the popular costumes to wear.. ghosts, skeletons, witches, zombies. It's actually imitating the idea of what the dead look like. The witches are those who conjure them.

It's a mockery of the Biblical resurrection of the dead, which the Catholics celebrated on all saints day.

All Saints' Day is a day Catholics offer prayers to those in purgatory. Reverend Donohoe said, "All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day are related, but they are two separate celebrations. On All Saints' Day there's a call to live as saints, to remind us how we're supposed to live. On All Souls' Day, we're talking about all souls and asking God's mercy for them.

"We're talking about those people who have died before us, and their process of getting to heaven, through Christ ... It has its roots all the way back to the fourth century." It is on this day that the Book of the Dead is opened to allow parishioners to write the names of relatives to be remembered.​

Today, for most it's just dressing up in costumes and going door to door for candy. Sounds innocent enough.

But the costumes of ghosts, skeletons, zombies and witches make it a mockery of the respect for the dead.

Since we've all got loved ones who've died.. I discourage the participation in Halloween. If your kids want candy. Go to the store like usual and buy it for them and stay home on that day and watch a nice movie with your kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Your at liberty do to do as you wish as a Christian.

Personal choice / personal choice.

Love is the aim, the goal of the entire Christian life, therefore anything less is missing the mark!
yeah well, if that's the case...
I want to do what God says, that's my choice

Upvote 0

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's said that the wearing of costumes is to ward off ghosts. Clearly a superstition. But look at the popular costumes to wear.. ghosts, skeletons, witches, zombies. It's actually imitating the idea of what the dead look like. The witches are those who conjure them.

It's a mockery of the Biblical resurrection of the dead, which the Catholics celebrated on all saints day.

All Saints' Day is a day Catholics offer prayers to those in purgatory. Reverend Donohoe said, "All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day are related, but they are two separate celebrations. On All Saints' Day there's a call to live as saints, to remind us how we're supposed to live. On All Souls' Day, we're talking about all souls and asking God's mercy for them.

"We're talking about those people who have died before us, and their process of getting to heaven, through Christ ... It has its roots all the way back to the fourth century." It is on this day that the Book of the Dead is opened to allow parishioners to write the names of relatives to be remembered.​

Today, for most it's just dressing up in costumes and going door to door for candy. Sounds innocent enough.

But the costumes of ghosts, skeletons, zombies and witches make it a mockery of the respect for the dead.

Since we've all got loved ones who've died.. I discourage the participation in Halloween. If your kids want candy. Go to the store like usual and buy it for them and stay home on that day and watch a nice movie with your kids.
the thing this though, im going out for halloween, but obviously IM NOT GOING TO DRESS UP AS SOMETHING EVIL. Im dressing up as a clown, not as those evil clowns, but as a good and happy clown. Never, will i participate in such glorifying evil as dressing up as a witch,etc!

Upvote 0

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

im going out as a clown, a good and happy clown, but im not stupid, because the bible does say that glorifying evil is WRONG. I mean it really all depends on how we celebrate it. Getting candy, ok. But a christian dressing up as pennywise or a witch, X.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It is fine to ask for counsel of others, but ultimately they must agree with the Bible. The Bible says "You need that no man should teach you, but the Holy Spirit will teach you."

The Bible says not to do what the pagans do. Dressing like witches and pennywise is pagan. Why would you want to join in any celebration with such? Rhetorical Q. October 31st is celebrated by satanists. You must know that. You must know that it is not spiritually uplifting, or edifying in any way, for children to be begging for big sacks of candy, which is unhealthy for them, or to be parading down dark streets with others who are dressed like witches, demons, serial killers, ladies of the evening and so on. You do have common sense which the Lord gave you.

The Bible tells you clearly when the Sabbath is and how to keep it. You only need to pray to have your eyes opened, and to see what is already there. As for football, Isaiah tells us to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord and not to go our own way then, seeking our own pleasures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. MICHAEL And as for the those who say we are free to do whatever we want as Christians under a so called new and better Covenant... Really? Can we bow down to other gods now? Murder? Steal? And so on? And then expect to get to Heaven?

Some say that Messiah came to do away with the laws in the Bible, but He said He did NOT come to do away with them but to fulfill them. He said not the slightest stroke of the pen, jot or tittle, would be done away with from the Law and prophets until Heaven and earth pass away and all is fulfilled. All has certainly not been fulfilled, as for just one example, He has not yet returned.

We still have to obey what the Father ordained, about not following pagan ways, about the Sabbath, and so on. There is no conflict between the Old and New Covenant. It is just that we were told the Old Covenant would become written on our hearts, not on stone.

1 John: 3-4 For sin is the breaking of the Law.

Romans 2:12 - For as many as have sinned without Law will also perish without Law, and as many as have sinned in the Law will be judged by the Law 13 (for not the hearers of the Law [are] just in the sight of YHWH, but the doers of the Law will be justified;

Romans 3:31 - Do we then make void the Law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 6:16 - Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slave whom you obey, whether of sin [leading] to death, or of obedience [leading] to righteousness? [This is clearly saying that sin leads to death, i.e. eternal death. Yes, there is mercy, and there are so many opportunities to turn around, countless "2nd chances", but sin still exists, is to be shunned, and still leads to eternal death if we don't take it seriously and take it to the Lord. Not my opinion. It's what the Word says over and over.]

These quotes are mostly from Paul whom we are often taught said the law was no longer in effect. Here is another quote from him.

Acts 25:8 Paul denied the charges. “I am not guilty of any crime against the Jewish laws or the Temple or the Roman government,” he said.

Oh, and we can't say there is one law for Jews like Paul and one law for the rest of us. The Bible never even hints at any such divide. In fact in the Torah we are told that aliens/foreigners are to obey the same Law in Israel as the Israelites, and in the New Testament we are told "There is neither Greek nor Jew."

• Agree
Reactions: Elteqay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I know that sometimes adults have parties where they celebrate Halloween in their homes, and I used to participate in such in the past. But as for full grown adults going out on the streets, covered in costumes/disguises, and mingling in with the children - well, that is just one more reason why I find Halloween to be concerning.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
As per the Christian Advice Statement of Purpose direct your replies to the thread OP who is Michael Vichiola. Do not use this forum to debate or discuss with other members in the thread.
Also Post that chastise or belittle the member are not permitted in this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Michael
no/yes

Upvote 0

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Michael
Lik im not going to dress up as anything evil, im not stupid. Im going as a clown, the REAL clowns. The ones that make people laugh and just do slapstick comedy. No Pennywise, no evil nonsense, just a normal average clown. Is it still wrong?

Upvote 0

Michael Vichiola

May 11, 2019
WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is fine to ask for counsel of others, but ultimately they must agree with the Bible. The Bible says "You need that no man should teach you, but the Holy Spirit will teach you."

The Bible says not to do what the pagans do. Dressing like witches and pennywise is pagan. Why would you want to join in any celebration with such? Rhetorical Q. October 31st is celebrated by satanists. You must know that. You must know that it is not spiritually uplifting, or edifying in any way, for children to be begging for big sacks of candy, which is unhealthy for them, or to be parading down dark streets with others who are dressed like witches, demons, serial killers, ladies of the evening and so on. You do have common sense which the Lord gave you.

The Bible tells you clearly when the Sabbath is and how to keep it. You only need to pray to have your eyes opened, and to see what is already there. As for football, Isaiah tells us to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord and not to go our own way then, seeking our own pleasures.
im going as a clown, the normal kind of clown, right or wrong?

Upvote 0