America is the Best, Most Free, and Most Prosperous Country on Earth: Change My Mind

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Freedom isnt free.

Insane people running around with military weapons is the price we pay. Willingly.

When you put the decision making of what is or is not "hate speech" into the hands of a select few, and then these bombings start and you cannot speak out against the immigration policies because it's the immigrants who are committing them, then what recourse do you have to get the laws changed and stop the invasion from continuing?

Censorship in Sweden - Wikipedia

You're right, freedom isn't free, but freedom does indicate that a citizen is not a slave to their state.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,099,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting discussion.

And pointless.

Because so much of it is based on every individual's perception. During the stock market boom of the 1990's, my husband lost two great jobs---and one of the reasons for the stock market boom, mergers and acquisitions and venture capitalism, was the main reason for those job losses. If YOU are the one who is unemployed, it doesn't matter if the percentage of unemployment is 3%.

Similarly, how "free" do elementary and high school students feel when they have to participate in regular "intruder drills," stopping, dropping, and silencing themselves, in order to protect the 100% unreasonable demands for "freedom" for gun owners? It makes me sick to hear my friend, a preschool teacher, talk about the "pancake" drills she has to do with her preschoolers, where they lie down flat as pancakes and remain silent for five minutes. Do we have to terrorize 3 year-olds because gun owners won't allow universal background checks or assault weapons bans?

The second amendment on steroids diminishes my freedom--my peace of mind.

If we are the 'most prosperous' but that prosperity is held in the hands of a few is that real prosperity?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When you put the decision making of what is or is not "hate speech" into the hands of a select few, and then these bombings start and you cannot speak out against the immigration policies because it's the immigrants who are committing them, then what recourse do you have to get the laws changed and stop the invasion from continuing?

Censorship in Sweden - Wikipedia

You're right, freedom isn't free, but freedom does indicate that a citizen is not a slave to their state.
Speaking of slaves to the state, we have literally more of them in prison than any other country in the world, not raw number.... but per capita.

Now, whether their imprisonment is justified or unjustified, either way it speaks to something insanely wrong going on here.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Speaking of slaves to the state, we have literally more of them than any other country in the world, not raw number.... but per capita.

Now, whether their imprisonment is justified or unjustified, either way it speaks to something insanely wrong going on here.

I don't see chain gangs on the side of the road much anymore. You also may want to check your claim against www.globalslaveryindex.org, because per capita it is estimated that 22% of the population are slaves in CAR.

I have zero issue with thieves, rapists, and murderers being put to labor. Why would you?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't see chain gangs on the side of the road much anymore. You also may want to check your claim against www.globalslaveryindex.org, because per capita it is estimated that 22% of the population are slaves in CAR.
I'm talking about imprisonment and incarceration rates by the state.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But it's really easy to get a gun there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The USA is the largest debtor nation in the world. Debtor Nation Definition

Please don't vote until you become better informed.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I didn't think that made a difference to you. After all, isn't the reason you want a gun is to defend yourself and your family against the government?

Of course it does. Criminals in the US get guns illegally all the time. It's the government acknowledging the right to self-defense that is the important aspect of freedom that I am attempting to emphasize. That's why the OP is true IMO. But again, feel free to do issue a compelling counter to change my mind. You may not believe me, but I do have an open mind about this topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The USA is the largest debtor nation in the world. Debtor Nation Definition

Please don't vote until you become better informed.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that we need to measure that figure against GDP to ascertain the solvency of a nation's economy and currency?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Of course it does. Criminals in the US get guns illegally all the time. It's the government acknowledging the right to self-defense that is the important aspect of freedom that I am attempting to emphasize. That's why the OP is true IMO. But again, feel free to do issue a compelling counter to change my mind. You may not believe me, but I do have an open mind about this topic.
I don't know about that. We've been around that block before and I have the distinct impression that any gun law at all is regarded as a slippery slope leading to confiscation. In my opinion is possible for the government to "acknowledge the right to self-defense" and still require mandatory background checks, registration and liability insurance.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know about that. We've been around that block before and I have the distinct impression that any gun law at all is regarded as a slippery slope leading to confiscation. In my opinion is possible for the government to "acknowledge the right to self-defense" and still require mandatory background checks, registration and liability insurance.

Registration leads to confiscation. History has proven and continues to prove this.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you've got to dig up an event from 24 years ago to attempt to make a valid argument, while ignoring what's happening in Sweden right now, I am not sure such rhetoric grants any validity to your argument. I will let the further readers decide though.

Sweden does not protect free speech, and Sweden does not acknowledge the right to self-defense as the US does. So no, Sweden does not provide the level of freedom that the US does, regardless of your sourced, dare I say biased, metric.

Hurrah indeed.
I find your metric sickening. The freedom to kill. The best self-defense is being kind and ethical in your dealings.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0