Oct 2, 2020
✟607,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We know that ἀΐδιος G126 means "eternal" and that αἰών G165 means “age” (or "world").

As you said, αἰώνιος G166 is adjective from αἰών G165, but what does it mean?

“Belonging to the age (or world)” needs further clarification. Which age or world?

In Jewish and Christian thought there is "this age (or world)" and "the age (or world) to come." We can safely reject that aionios refers to this age (or world). It most likely means "belonging to the age (or world) to come" or "of the age (or world) to come."

Post #77 attempted to shed light on the meaning.

One thing for sure, "aionios" does _not_ mean "eternal," as in without beginning and end.

Not sure if it's something of relevance. But it stood out to me in an earlier post. Jesus said "I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end."

• Friendly
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I find it hard to follow you as to what the disagreement is, but I think I understand better now.

In verse 18, the righteous act of Lord Jesus resulted in justification and life for all people. This means that this justification and life is made possible ("for") all people because Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus provided that justification for all people.

Verse 18 is not saying that every human being is now justified and given life. And we know that isn't true because all of the Scriptures testify that only those who believe - a repentant faith - are given life.

And only a remnant of humanity will believe in Him and be saved.

John 8:12 (WEB) 12 Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. (Isaiah 60:1). He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.

John 12:46 (WEB)
46 I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in the darkness

Therefore, whoever believes in Jesus receives the light, and has passed from death to life.

John 5:24 (WEB) 24 “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

The path to salvation is narrow and few will find it

Matthew 7:14; Matthew 22:14, Luke 13:23-30; Revelation 3:1-5; Romans 9:27.

Even so, that “few” is representative of perhaps a few hundred million people that will be saved out of the billions of people that have ever lived (Revelation 7:9-17).

Lord Jesus is that Path – the Way, the Truth, and the Life – so we want to listen to the instruction Lord Jesus, and His Apostles, gave us, and to follow Him to receive life, just has He instructed us. That is the Faith of the Gospel.

1 John 2:5-6 (WEB)
5 But God’s love has most certainly been perfected in whoever keeps his word. This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

Verse 19 refers to the "many." The "many" is not comparing to the unsaved, but rather, "many" refers to all those who will be justified and saved - millions of people.

Blessings

No, that is not the proper way to translate Matthew 7:14. Let's take a closer look:

KJV:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

YLT:
Mat 7:14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Notice that the verb is PRESENT tense. The KJV doesn't put the verb in the FUTURE tense but SEEMS to be worded as such and you presented in that sense (based on the context you provided). However, the verb is in the PRESENT tense and therefore the YLT gets it right. The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus and the Parsing for the verb from that text is PRESENT tense:

GREEK NT TR+:
Mat 7:14 οτιG3754 CONJ στενηG4728 A-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF πυληG4439 N-NSF καιG2532 CONJ τεθλιμμενηG2346 V-RPP-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF οδοςG3598 N-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF απαγουσαG520 V-PAP-NSF ειςG1519 PREP τηνG3588 T-ASF ζωηνG2222 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ ολιγοιG3641 A-NPM εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM ευρισκοντεςG2147 V-PAP-NPM αυτηνG846 P-ASF

The bold above those the verb (V) is followed by the TENSE (P) which is PRESENT tense.

So to say this verse is saying that FEW would EVER find the way would be teaching a lie. It just means that AT THE TIME it was stated there were FEW finding it.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My faith is in God and His Word.

But you believe God fails if you don't believe in the ultimate universal salvation of all. There is no way around that. Even Moses would rather have been blotted out of the book of life if God had not saved those sinners who rebelled against God in the wilderness and who God eventually destroyed and would not let enter the promised land.

Exo 32:31 And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.
Exo 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
Exo 32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

So God would blot them out of His book. Moses must have understood that God was going to ultimately save those sinners through a future atonement.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We know that ἀΐδιος G126 means "eternal" and that αἰών G165 means “age” (or "world").

As you said, αἰώνιος G166 is adjective from αἰών G165, but what does it mean?

“Belonging to the age (or world)” needs further clarification. Which age or world?

In Jewish and Christian thought there is "this age (or world)" and "the age (or world) to come." We can safely reject that aionios refers to this age (or world). It most likely means "belonging to the age (or world) to come" or "of the age (or world) to come."

Post #77 attempted to shed light on the meaning.

One thing for sure, "aionios" does _not_ mean "eternal," as in without beginning and end.

Here's an interesting commentary which concludes the same thing, that 'the word aionios means pertaining to the world to come, and not eternal and everlasting, as it is translated.'

History of Opinions on the Scriptural Doctrine of Retribution: the Creeds the Fathers

Also, as Clement of Alexandria pointed out, as the Greek had two words for 'punishment', the first retributive (timoria), the second corrective (kolasin), that the NT never uses the first. And correction has an object, its telos, to set straight. This would be incongruous with a translation of aionion as 'eternal' in Mt 25:46.

So we find, despite the weight of church tradition, that God's justice is about setting right, not getting even. That's in fact what Christ revealed about the Father - truth and grace.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I haven't seen other participants addressing your argument, perhaps bec they find them irrefutable. I will attempt to address your points, not hoping to change your mind, but only to show that there may be another plausible point of view.

I don't consider myself a universalist because:

1) I don't believe that all souls go to paradise immediately after death. Only virtuous Christians may have this hope.
2) I don't know whether _all_ souls ultimately experience heavenly bliss or that few may be lost forever.
3) I take the hope that a majority of souls will be saved as a possibility to allay my own anxiety regarding non-Christians and not as a fact to be preached in lieu of the Gospel.

I looked at these passages and have to disagree with this assessment. Exomologeo seems to mean "to profess" or "to acknowledge" as it is often rendered in modern translation. It does not mean to "to confess" under coercion. Php 2:10-11 itself refers to Isa 45:23 where the equivalent Hebrew word, which is shabah, is translated "to swear" allegiance.

The parallels verses Isa 45:23, Rom 14:11, Php 2:10-11, and Rev 5:13 leave no doubt that all (or at least an overwhelming majority) will worship the Lord. This includes those "under the earth" in Hades.

This is , certainly, a common view. I think it goes against the spirit of the passages mentioned above but cannot deny that that interpretation is possible. We'll see if another participant comments on this.

This is talking about the provisional judgment immediately after death. If Jesus cannot forgive his enemies, why would He ask us to forgive our enemies?

Yes, definitely, but is their punishment with absolutely no end? Is everlasting conscious torment the only thing you'd expect for your family members who have lived a virtuous life but did not believe in God and Christ?

The Wrath of God is not unending, it is only until the sinner pays their debt. The Parable of the unforgiving servant is a good example:

The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Notice that the unforgiving servant was only to receive WRATH UNTIL he paid all that was due to him. Sin is debt, we learn that from the Old Testament. Anytime someone sinned that had certain sacrifices they had to them procure and bring to the altar to make atonement for those sins.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Here's an interesting commentary which concludes the same thing, that 'the word aionios means pertaining to the world to come, and not eternal and everlasting, as it is translated.'

History of Opinions on the Scriptural Doctrine of Retribution: the Creeds the Fathers

Also, as Clement of Alexandria pointed out, as the Greek had two words for 'punishment', the first retributive (timoria), the second corrective (kolasin), that the NT never uses the first. And correction has an object, its telos, to set straight. This would be incongruous with a translation of aionion as 'eternal' in Mt 25:46.

So we find, despite the weight of church tradition, that God's justice is about setting right, not getting even. That's in fact what Christ revealed about the Father - truth and grace.

Aionios doesn't mean pertaining to the world to come. It's an adjective that describes something that continues beyond the age boundary. The age is reference in the age set in the context.

So aionios punishment means there is currently punishment in the present age that will continue beyond the age.

So whatever is aionios is not only in the next age (adjacent age) but also in the present age or the age in context.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My view of the word Aionios is more in line with Rev. E. S. Goodwin's interpretation of Lennep's view:

Says that it comes from (to breathe) which suggests the idea of indefinite duration. He says: It was transferred from breathing to collection, or multitude of times. From which proper signification again have been produced those by which the ancients have described either age (ævum), or eternity (æternitatem,) or the age of man (hominis ætatem.) Commenting on Lennep's derivation of the word, Rev. E. S. Goodwin, says:(3) "It would signify a multitude of periods or times united to each other, duration indefinitely continued. Its proper force, in reference to duration, seems to be more that of uninterrupted duration than otherwise; a term of which the duration is continuous as long as it lasts, but which may be completed and finished, as age, dispensation, sæculum, in a general sense.'

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So aionios punishment means there is currently punishment in the present age that will continue beyond the age.
For a lot of non-Christians and sinners this is clearly not the case. Temporary prosperity of the wicked is expressed in many psalms, including Ps 37.

So whatever is aionios is not only in the next age (adjacent age) but also in the present age or the age in context.
This may be true for believers as we can say that the age/world to come starts now, in this present life.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to God's Word, when we read the context, we forgive someone who first repents, just as Lord Jesus forgives those who repent.

Luke 17:3-4 [Disciples’ Literal New Testament]
3 Take heed to yourselves— If your brother sins, rebuke him. And if he repents, forgive him.
4 And if he sins against you seven times in the day, and returns to you seven times saying I repent’, forgive him”.
  • God forgives those who repent.
  • We are to do likewise.
God does not forgive all people their sins,
We are to follow God's example.
There are numerous times where Jesus commanded forgiving all people.

Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation.”

Mat 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For a lot of non-Christians and sinners this is clearly not the case. Temporary prosperity of the wicked is expressed in many psalms, including Ps 37.

This may be true for believers as we can say that the age/world to come starts now, in this present life.

Everyone alive today is currently in punishment. Remember, a judgement was passed upon Adam and therefore, we all carry that punishment as Adam's seed.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

We only get the earnest of the Spirit at this time. The Redeemer couldn't be under the same condemnation which is why He (Christ) was born of a virgin and not of the curse. So the damned go into aionios punishment (meaning continued punishment into the next age). Whereas those that receive aionios LIFE receive that LIFE now and it continues with them into the NEXT AGE.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
QUOTE="Der Alte,

Unfortunately this is nothing but wishful thinking with no, zero, none scriptural support.
Were the millions of men, women, old, young, children, infants killed in the flood purged of their sinful natures?

Were the thousands of men, women, old, young, children, infants killed by fire in Sodom and Gomorrah purged of their sinful natures?

Were the thousands of men, women, old, young, children, infants killed by the sword when God told Israel to go into all Canaanite cities and kill all the inhabitants purged of their sinful natures?

They are most likely ungoing the purging right now. The ending of sin on earth by a calamity is not the same as eternally punishing someone.

But the main question you keep ducking is this: what kind of God creates sentient beings, knowing they will fall into sin and thus be damned to unending torment? What kind of Divine Being would do such a thing? Certainly not the God who is love ... but you tell me.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't consider myself a universalist because:
1) I don't believe that all souls go to paradise immediately after death. Only virtuous Christians may have this hope.
2) I don't know whether _all_ souls ultimately experience heavenly bliss or that few may be lost forever.
3) I take the hope that a majority of souls will be saved as a possibility to allay my own anxiety regarding non-Christians and not as a fact to be preached in lieu of the Gospel.
One might come to that conclusion if they read only this post. In Matthew 7:23 Jesus said "Then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." When Jesus says never does He mean never or "someday by and by I will know you?"
Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
I looked at these passages and have to disagree with this assessment. Exomologeo seems to mean "to profess" or "to acknowledge" as it is often rendered in modern translation. It does not mean to "to confess" under coercion. Php 2:10-11 itself refers to Isa 45:23 where the equivalent Hebrew word, which is shabah, is translated "to swear" allegiance.
When do those enemies of Jesus who are His footstool "profess, acknowledge etc? Matthew 22:44, Mark 12:36, Luke 20:43, Acts of the apostles 2:35, Hebrews 1:13
The parallels verses Isa 45:23, Rom 14:11, Php 2:10-11, and Rev 5:13 leave no doubt that all (or at least an overwhelming majority) will worship the Lord. This includes those "under the earth" in Hades.
See vss, quoted above
JPS Proverbs 24:20

(20) For there will be no future to the evil man, the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
Ephesians 2:12
(12) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
1 Thessalonians 4:13
(13) But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
Psalms 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
Psalms 88:5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
This is , certainly, a common view. I think it goes against the spirit of the passages mentioned above but cannot deny that that interpretation is possible. We'll see if another participant comments on this.
This is talking about the provisional judgment immediately after death. If Jesus cannot forgive his enemies, why would He ask us to forgive our enemies?
He does, in this life. See verses quoted above.

Yes, definitely, but is their punishment with absolutely no end? Is everlasting conscious torment the only thing you'd expect for your family members who have lived a virtuous life but did not believe in God and Christ?
Since when is the judgement of God dependent on how some people feel about it?
People in this and some other countries cannot claim that they never heard of Jesus. I was watching TV drama a few minutes ago one of the ads was Franklin Graham talking about Jesus.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God is serious. God takes not pleasure in the death of the wicked, and desires all to be saved. But God says they must repent to be saved. That is God's Will.

There is nothing unjust in God for doing so.
God's desire that the wicked should repent and live, does not negate God's Sovereign will.

Your posts REEK of Calvinist dogma. (Yes, they have a horrible stench to them, not the sweet smell of the love of God).

He doesn't desire that all be saved. He wills that all be saved.

Answer the question: what kind of Divine Being would create sentient beings, foreknowing they would fall and thus be condemned to eternal torment? Would God, who IS love, do such a thing? Does love actually create beings with the sole will of torturing them forever, which is what Calvinist doctrine teaches?

Poor ole God. He really, REALLY wants people to be saved, but He is helpless to do anything about it.

What a wuss.

Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lord Jesus beautiful Parable in Matthew 18:21-35 illustrates this truth so plainly, that a child could understand.

Matthew 18:21-35 (WEB)
...21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
...22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
...23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
...26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
...28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
...29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
...30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.
...32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
...35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

You missed something.

Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone alive today is currently in punishment. Remember, a judgement was passed upon Adam and therefore, we all carry that punishment as Adam's seed.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
We only get the earnest of the Spirit at this time. The Redeemer couldn't be under the same condemnation which is why He (Christ) was born of a virgin and not of the curse. So the damned go into aionios punishment (meaning continued punishment into the next age). Whereas those that receive aionios LIFE receive that LIFE now and it continues with them into the NEXT AGE.
The operative word in this post is "Everyone alive." Because,
(20) For there will be no future to the evil man, the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.
(12) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
(13) But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
Psalms 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
Psalms 88:5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.​

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Shrewd Manager

Mankind, in his fallen nature, seeks revenge and retribution. The slightest look at the history of the world will validate this. This is part of the Fall, that our natures have been corrupted from self-giving, self-sacrificial love to a love of ourselves, and God help the person who crosses us! If we have the power and ability to do so, we will bring a horrible vengeance upon our enemies.

How different from Jesus, who as God, taught that we are to love our enemies and thus be like our Father in heaven.

Everyone here who is lusting after revenge, who cannot rejoice in God forgiving the most wretched of sinners, who doens't believe in a God of love who has a way in which He will bring even the most evil to repent, whether here or in the next age, is superimposing mankind's understanding of justice (bare naked hateful revenge) upon God who is nothing like this.

The God you suppose will get revenge is the same God who wept on the Cross for His enemies and asked the Father to forgive them because they (and we) are blind and do not know what we are doing. The blindness in which you struggle makes God out to be horrendously immoral. You are like the dwarves in C.S. Lewis's book THE LAST BATTLE, who when given a sumptuous feast by Aslan, in their blindness think it to be rotten vegetables and water from a horse trough.

May God open your eyes to see just how loving and gracious He is, and that there is not the slightest hint of revenge in His actions. He is a loving father. Your doctrines make Him a demon.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, that is not the proper way to translate Matthew 7:14. Let's take a closer look:
KJV:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
YLT:
Mat 7:14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!
Notice that the verb is PRESENT tense. The KJV doesn't put the verb in the FUTURE tense but SEEMS to be worded as such and you presented in that sense (based on the context you provided). However, the verb is in the PRESENT tense and therefore the YLT gets it right. The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus and the Parsing for the verb from that text is PRESENT tense:
GREEK NT TR+:
Mat 7:14 οτιG3754 CONJ στενηG4728 A-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF πυληG4439 N-NSF καιG2532 CONJ τεθλιμμενηG2346 V-RPP-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF οδοςG3598 N-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF απαγουσαG520 V-PAP-NSF ειςG1519 PREP τηνG3588 T-ASF ζωηνG2222 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ ολιγοιG3641 A-NPM εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM ευρισκοντεςG2147 V-PAP-NPM αυτηνG846 P-ASF
The bold above those the verb (V) is followed by the TENSE (P) which is PRESENT tense.
So to say this verse is saying that FEW would EVER find the way would be teaching a lie. It just means that AT THE TIME it was stated there were FEW finding it.
Where is the verse which says the way is now wide and anyone, everyone can enter in?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are numerous times where Jesus commanded forgiving all people.
Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation.”
Mat 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This might help.

Aionios mistranslated as "eternal" and "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46.

All these verses below use the same NT Greek word, "aionios", the Greek word mistranslated as "eternal" and "everlasting" in Matthew 25:46. See bold below. This shows that "aionios" cannot mean eternal or everlasting.

Matthew 13:22
The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 Corinthians 1:20
Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

1 Corinthians 2:8
None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Ephesians 2:2
in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
Except that aionios is not used in any of the above, but another word with a different meaning is used in the above.

Upvote 0