Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does this passage fit in your theory?
Matthew 4:1-11
1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
3 The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple.
6 "If you are the Son of God," he [the devil] said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: "'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"
7 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.
9 "All this I will give you," he [the devil] said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

From what cfposter is saying, that would be an allegory of Jesus being tempted by his fleshly human nature. The battle of the spirit and the flesh Jesus talked about in Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
From what cfposter is saying, that would be an allegory of Jesus being tempted by his fleshly human nature. The battle of the spirit and the flesh Jesus talked about in Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Correct Brian. The Flesh nature of Jesus Himself had to be overcome where it was found to be disobedient. So His own Flesh tempted Him to be disobedient, Yet Christ overcame the temptations.

James explains where Temptation comes from:

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

So temptation is born from our own lust. Now when you realize this, you can see that Jesus being the Son of God with unfathomable power and authority was by His flesh tempted beyond anything we could comprehend. For a mere men, we cannot be tempted with the ability to take power of kingdoms as He was presented with.

Let's not have the Devil be a mystery anymore. I'm shining light on who the Devil is - and it is YOU and ME, - more specifically our disobedient nature. Jesus came to destroy OUR WORKS. The blame game is over, time to repent and see we are the ones that are evil. We need to accept Christ into our flesh by His Spirit where He will overcome our fleshy works and put down sin and lead us from Temptation.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Correct Brian. The Flesh nature of Jesus Himself had to be overcome where it was found to be disobedient. So His own Flesh tempted Him to be disobedient, Yet Christ overcame the temptations.

James explains where Temptation comes from:

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

So temptation is born from our own lust. Now when you realize this, you can see that Jesus being the Son of God with unfathomable power and authority was by His flesh tempted beyond anything we could comprehend. For a mere men, we cannot be tempted with the ability to take power of kingdoms as He was presented with.

Let's not have the Devil be a mystery anymore. I'm shining light on who the Devil is - and it is YOU and ME, - more specifically our disobedient nature. Jesus came to destroy OUR WORKS. The blame game is over, time to repent and see we are the ones that are evil. We need to accept Christ into our flesh by His Spirit where He will overcome our fleshy works and put down sin and lead us from Temptation.

We all deal with this battle on a regular basis. We hear a "voice" saying go ahead, everyone does it, it's not really a sin etc. Is that actually Satan talking to us? I doubt it.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We all deal with this battle on a regular basis. We hear a "voice" saying go ahead, everyone does it, it's not really a sin etc. Is that actually Satan talking to us? I doubt it.

Yes, that is exactly who is talking to you - Satan. All disobedience coming from you is Satan. More importantly Satan is YOU - or more specifically your disobedient nature when exhibited.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heterodox SPAM-Fig copout. Whenever scripture contradicts heterodox beliefs they claim the scripture is Symbolic, Poetic, Allegory, Metaphor, Figurative anything but literal.
I wonder if the 1st century Jews who heard Jesus say "Satan/the devil" they thought "Oh yeah that's not literal it's only allegory."

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heterodox SPAM-Fig copout. Whenever scripture contradicts heterodox beliefs they claim the scripture is Symbolic, Poetic, Allegory, Metaphor, Figurative anything but literal.
I wonder if the 1st century Jews who heard Jesus say "Satan/the devil" they thought "Oh yeah that's not literal it's only allegory."

It seems to me that it's the opposite of a copout. Blaming the evil man does solely on man rather than an outside entity. "The devil made me do it" - yeah but the devil is you, you only have yourself to blame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It seems to me that it's the opposite of a copout, blaming the evil man does solely on man rather than an outside entity. "The devil made me do it" - yeah but the devil is you, you only have yourself to blame.

Your not just blaming the evil man, your blaming YOURSELF, it doesn't get any less copout than that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is exactly who is talking to you - Satan. All disobedience coming from you is Satan. More importantly Satan is YOU - or more specifically your disobedient nature when exhibited.

I have to disagree, to blame Satan for every sin you commit is passing the buck just as Adam and Eve did in the garden. You are responsible for your sin.
Not to say Satan can't influence or suggest but to blame every sin on Satan is a cop out. Your own body and mind is quite capable of sinning all on its own without any interference or suggestion from Satan.
Satan is most certainly not our disobedient nature, Satan is a spiritual being along with all the other fallen Angels.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟24,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have to disagree, to blame Satan for every sin you commit is passing the buck just as Adam and Eve did in the garden. You are responsible for your sin.
Not to say Satan can't influence or suggest but to blame every sin on Satan is a cop out. Your own body and mind is quite capable of sinning all on its own without any interference or suggestion from Satan.
Satan is most certainly not our disobedient nature, Satan is a spiritual being along with all the other fallen Angels.

You must have misunderstood my statements. Satan is US. But if you don't believe that and you blame Satan then your passing the buck. But if you blame Satan while knowing Satan is us, then your blaming yourself. And yes, Satan is our Disobedient nature and that doesn't mean Satan is not spirit.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must have misunderstood my statements. Satan is US. But if you don't believe that and you blame Satan then your passing the buck. But if you blame Satan while knowing Satan is us, then your blaming yourself. And yes, Satan is our Disobedient nature and that doesn't mean Satan is not spirit.
This would make an interesting topic. Do you know how to launch a topic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums