oklahoma
✟7,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lately I have been forced to confront some issues like (Is it a sin to go dancing in bars and night clubs) then sit in church on Sunday . My opinion on this is yes it is a sin because you are taking part in and contributing to the decadence of our time . If you are in the company of temptation you will succumb to it eventually . Then there is this , sitting in church does not make you a christian any more than sitting in the chicken house makes you a chicken . So Baptists what say you on this .

Reactions: MWood

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Lately I have been forced to confront some issues like (Is it a sin to go dancing in bars and night clubs) then sit in church on Sunday . My opinion on this is yes it is a sin because you are taking part in and contributing to the decadence of our time . If you are in the company of temptation you will succumb to it eventually . Then there is this , sitting in church does not make you a christian any more than sitting in the chicken house makes you a chicken . So Baptists what say you on this .
I would tell you not to go against your conscience. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. At the same time all things in moderation. Being a believer doesn't mean that you must become a monk and not enjoy life.

Though you must also consider who is looking at you for an example of what it means to be a believer. We never really know our circle of influence.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

follicallychalnged

Just a little cracked.
Aug 29, 2016
oklahoma
✟7,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Twin I do agree with you . We don't have to be monks . I have a glass of wine and a dinner now and then . Drink a beer after a day in the hay field or cutting wood . Have a snort of stronger stuff if I'm coming down with something . I like to have a dance with my fiancee at home . Even under the pale light of the moon . In this way I am not a spectacle it is only a pleasant and personal experience . I suppose I'm upset a little because I recently went with friends to the Legion Hut . The activities there from a number of people dancing were nearly inappropriate contentographic . The only difference was they kept there clothes on . Needless to say I left early . I suppose these things should be a personal choice and left between the person and his God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The sin is not what actions you take. A sin is when you know
what is wrong for you or others and do it anyway.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont hang out in clubs and bars but if I am in one And need a drink its water or somethign non alcoholic.

The important thing to remember is if you a born again christian you one all the time no matter where you are!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would tell you not to go against your conscience. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. At the same time all things in moderation. Being a believer doesn't mean that you must become a monk and not enjoy life.

Though you must also consider who is looking at you for an example of what it means to be a believer. We never really know our circle of influence.

My youth pastor said something similar. The SBC officially condemns drinking as a sin, however, he saw nothing wrong with it in moderation, but said it should be avoided since it is frowned upon where I live and a lot of people drink irresponsibly, so we should not be yoked with unbelievers.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

follicallychalnged

Just a little cracked.
Aug 29, 2016
oklahoma
✟7,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks I for the last comment . You reminded me to use the scripture about not being yoked with unbelievers . That should have been the first thing to come to my mind . Guess I'm getting old timers disease . Now what did I come into this room FOR!!!!!??????

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If sitting in church doesn't make one a Christian, then sitting in a night club doesn't make one a sinner. The logic is the same.

However, sowing one's wild oats all week then going to church and praying for crop failure is quite hypocritical as well.

I used to go to a couple bars in order to sing Karaoke. It was much fun. Yes, I had a drink or two, but never enough to disorient myself or lose self-control. (Self-control is another issue, but separate.)

So Baps have always condemned alcohol as a beverage. It is (was, anyway) part of the "Church Covenant" (see https://www.southernmbc.org/bgm/f/docs/BaptistChurchCovenant.html , it used to be installed in the inside cover of the Broadman Hymnal). Smoking was never mentioned in the "Church Covenant". Odd. Although many of the beginning SoBaps were Southern farmers and raised tobacco. But I digress...

Once in a while I was invited out to a 'Sport's Bar'. I don't like them. They (in Southern California, anyway) are loaded with televisions on all the walls, showing various sporting activities. The volume is off on all of them. There is usually rock and roll music blaring loud enough to drown out any television sound anyway. On top of that, all the patrons are screaming at each other to carry on a conversation. I don't like them.

On the other hand, I don't like being in the rather shabby - and casually cleaned - smaller taverns, either. Usually they're rather clannish and populated by people who have had one or two many already and the smell is - uh - unpleasant. So I don't hang out there, either.

I can't find 'my' karaoke around here. All the places around me featuring karaoke cater to younger people. Can't find a Sinatra tune in the listings. No point in that, either.

So I don't go to many bars. There are a couple local 'bar and grill' places that have good food when I'm in the mood.

As mentioned, evil company can be distracting from Christianity. So one should be careful about 'associations'. And make acquaintances of solid Christians as friends, not just those one greets once a week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums