Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Though this is a statement made a few years ago by only one denomination, (the American Baptist Church), I think that it speaks for many of the Christian churches in today's society in stating their view on mental illness. It's refreshing to see a fundamentalist church take such a stand. I think that this is an indication of how our views as a whole are changing-- for the better.

AMERICAN BAPTIST RESOLUTION ON MENTAL ILLNESS
According to the National Institute for Mental Health, today there are approximately thirty-five million persons who suffer the burdens of some form of mental illness. Twelve million are children. Ten million have chronic mental illness. Since one in four families are affected in some way by mental illness, so also are our churches, communities, institutions, hospitals and governmental entities all deeply affected.

Although symptoms of mental illness may be present in many situations, the term mental illness is used here to describe disorders causing severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and/or relating, the result of which is a substantially diminished capacity for coping with the ordinary demands of life.

With the emphasis on patients' rights to treatment in the "least restrictive settings," and the Community Mental Health Centers Act of 1963, deinstitutionalization became the watchword of mental health. The number of persons hospitalized in state psychiatric institutions plummeted from 560,000 in 1955 to today's 170,000.

Although a lofty ideal, deinstitutionalization failed, due to a lack of sufficient community education and social support networks and a lack of sufficient financial and personnel infusion into community mental health systems. Though not planned, eviction rather than resettlement occurred. At the same time, the hospitalization of those needing treatment to curtail the devastating effects of mental illness was made difficult, and even impossible in some cases, by the new rules intended to protect against inappropriate admissions, unnecessary legal commitments, and to reduce costs.

Of the two to three million homeless in the U.S., some estimates hold that up to 80% are persons who suffer from severe mental illness, have histories of prolonged mental illness, or are in need of hospitalization or sustained mental health care. The conditions of homelessness (malnutrition, sleep deprivation, and the stress of marginal survival) also foster mental illness in many.

A new generation of persons with mental illness, the first to have lived totally without the experience of lengthy hospitalization, is now arising. Many of its members are single males suffering the dual disabilities of chronic mental illness and chemical dependency. Their serious mental health needs are being cared for on a crisis basis, without benefit of ongoing professional supervision.

With the increasing strain on state budgets, many states have decided that care for persons with mental illness is an unnecessary financial drain, even though mental health care involves a small percentage of the total budget, and so turn to mental health as an easy place to cut.

Furthermore, the age-old stigma of mental illness leads to forms of discrimination in addition to that practiced in state government. People who have been treated for mental illness state that the biggest problem they face is the inability to be accepted by others. They have difficulty finding friends, housing and work, and feel the sting of discrimination in almost everything they attempt. Thus, persons with mental illness and those recovering are often among the poor and oppressed, the outcasts of society.

However, Jesus Christ became known as the one who healed persons with mental illness and demonic possession as well as physical illness (Mark 5:1-20).

He did not avoid persons who had symptoms of mental illness, but had compassion for them, and wished them to be freed from their distress. He preached good news to the poor, deliverance to the captives, recovery of sight to the blind, and the setting free of the oppressed (Luke 4:18). Jesus offered comfort to the burdened (Matthew 11:28).

Today we are still uneasy when people with these types of disorders become too visible in a congregation or neighborhood. The conditions of today should cause people who are followers of Jesus Christ to burn with compassion in their hearts and minds to have that same drive to risk with people.

Therefore,

We, the people of the American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A., solemnly resolve:
  • to examine our hearts, our theology, and our actions to see that there is no judgment of or avoidance of persons who suffer from the effects of mental illness;
  • to address those factors contributing to mental illness in our society that could be corrected;
  • to educate American Baptists that mental health is related to faith and should be included in church school curriculum for adults, youth and children, in seminary curriculum, special themes and emphases, and worship/preaching series;
  • to provide a living witness as individuals, families, congregations, associations, regions and national boards and agencies, by exemplifying a mature Christianity which affirms life and encourages mental health;
  • to offer a ministry of hospitality and caring which is based in our congregations, but which influences community attitudes and includes acceptance and support of persons with mental illness and their families, befriending them, and integrating them into the church and the larger community;
  • to encourage interprofessional cooperation among psychiatrists, social workers and clergy;
  • to seek ways for persons with mental illness to recognize their own gifts and strengths, and use them in service and ministry to and with others in congregations and communities, including employment.
  • to assess needs in the community and recognize the relationships between deinstitutionalization and homelessness and mental illness;
  • to respond as appropriate with programs of respite care, aftercare, support groups, supportive housing, food pantries, volunteerism in mental health care facilities, socialization and recreation and special emphases; and to support already existing public and private health services that serve persons with mental illness;
  • to advocate for non-discriminatory and humane practices throughout society, and in particular to press for revision of legal commitment procedures to balance protection of one's civil rights with the genuine need for treatment, using "optimum therapeutic setting" rather than "least restrictive setting" as the criterion;
  • To utilize ABC [American Baptist Church] publications to highlight examples of the above resolutions, and other models and resources for ministry with and by persons with mental illness and their families overall;
  • to affirm and live out an internally liberating as well as an externally liberating Gospel;
Adopted by the General Board of the American Baptist Churches - June 1992
170 For, 0 Against, 0 Abstentions
Modified by the Executive Committee of the General Board - March 1995
Modified by the Executive Committee of the General Board - March 1999
(General Board Reference # - 8192:11/91)

[size=+1]Policy Base
[/size]
American Baptist Policy Statement on Health, Healing & Wholeness
American Baptist Resolution on Alcohol and Highway Safety
American Baptist Resolution on Alcoholism and Other Chemical Dependency
American Baptist Resolution on Disabilities (The Church and Persons with)
American Baptist Resolution on Employment of the Handicapped
American Baptist Resolution on Family Violence
American Baptist Resolution on Housing and the Homeless
American Baptist Resolution on Welfare and Human Services

satman

Nov 20, 2003
Berea, Ohio
Visit site
✟188.00
Faith
Christian
Hurray to any denomination that takes a stand for such a misunderstood and misjudged condition. Encouraging words. We as christians are to love all people as Christ loved us. Several weeks ago, I was teaching my teen sunday school class of how Christ touched a leper, an outcast, unclean and that in the same way we are to love even the "unpopular, unwanted, social misfits", even if it isn't the "popular" thing to do.

God Bless....In HIS Service....Dan

Upvote 0

PreacherJoe

Dec 18, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
✟15,199.00
Faith
Christian
Excellent choice for discussion here. Too many are frightened away from dealing with it. I am a pastor so I counsel with people quite often. I know very well that mental illness is very real and that I am often unqualified to deal with some individuals and I'm not too naive to know and admit it. Too many Christians have told these people to just suck it up and behave or that they wouldn't need medicine if they'd just trust God. I certainly believe that faith in God will benefit in every situation but faith can be expressed in various ways and God sends blessings in many forms including medical discoveries and therapies. The mentally ill need our prayers but also those who patiently live with them and are trying to help and understand them.

Upvote 0

retooferab

Disciple
Dec 22, 2003
✟843.00
Faith
Christian
Hi! :) I worked for several years with people that have mental illnesses, and for some of that time led a Bible study with a group from the vocational rehabilitation program. This was helpful in that many times a spiritual crisis occurs in conjunction with mental illness. Study, discussion and assurances were helpful. This might be an excellent ministry for those who are interested, since I'm sure most mental health centers do not provide this, and probably can't if they are publicly funded. Just thinking out loud here... any feedback?

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At a large church where I once belonged, I used to be one of the teachers (3 of us took turns) of a Sunday School group called "Special Saints." The students were all mentally challenged adults. I'm not sure how you'd approach a mental health center about a ministry, though. That's very different from mental retardation.

Upvote 0

retooferab

Disciple
Dec 22, 2003
✟843.00
Faith
Christian
Yup, mental illness is different. It is the altered sense of reality that makes spiritual issues so difficult for all involved. You can imagine the confusion that mental illness causes in general, and how full of doubt one could be regarding God. Can you also imagine the impact of Christ the Solid Rock on these folks? It is tremendous! A Sunday School class is a good idea, if transportation can be provided. Some coordination would need to be done with staff, and maybe some flyers put up or something. Depending on the institution, a proposal might have to be done up to demonstrate expectations, limitations, liability, etc... now I'm scaring myself. Going through rehabilitation or day treatment programs might work out, since they are frequently "off-site." It must be possible somehow to get God's influence into the lives of people with mental illness... and we can't just wait for them to show up at church then accept them. Might have to get out there! As I think more about it, maybe the cooperative arrangement with a mental health center is too much to ask. But they might at least let us "advertise" an opportunity for their clientele... (?)

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Depending on the community, you might get cooperation from a mental health center with advertising on a bulletin board about a Sunday School class that your church has to offer. I think that you'd want to think well in advance about how you would want to present it to them. That could make a big difference.

I would think that one of these Joyce Meyer study books might be a good start:
  • Battlefield of the Mind
  • Be Anxious for Nothing
  • Being the Person God Made You to Be
  • Do It! Afraid
  • Enjoying Where You Are on the Way to Where You Are Going
  • Healing the Brokenhearted
  • How to Succeed at Being Yourself
  • If Not for the Grace of God
  • Knowing God Intimately
  • Life Without Strife
  • Managing Your Emotions
  • Never Lose Heart
  • Reduce Me to Love
  • Secrets to Exceptional Living
  • Straight Talk on Depression
  • Straight Talk on Discouragement
  • Straight Talk on Fear
  • Straight Talk on Insecurity
  • Straight Talk on Loneliness
  • Straight Talk on Stress
  • Straight Talk on Worry
  • The Battle Belongs to the Lord
  • The Power of Being Positive
  • The Power of Determination
  • The Power of Forgiveness
  • The Root of Rejection
  • Thinking for a Change
  • When God When?
  • Why God Why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums