Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree, the lack of attention on candidate's positions across the board is a huge problem. The distraction ridden 2016 Presidential campaign was certainly a low mark in modern political history.....

I think people like Buttigieg are trying to wisely avoid making unfounded promises about what they can do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you actually read that article, it does give several policy positions he's taken. He hasn't presented any campaign-defining policies yet, and he hasn't provided details on how he plans to enact the policies he does support, but he has talked about policy. At this stage in the campaign, I think that's a good place to be. If he continues to stay light on the details over the coming months, then I'll be more concerned.

I don't suppose you or any of the other people who are well informed on his positions could share some?

Or perhaps provide a link?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't suppose you or any of the other people who are well informed on his positions could share some?

Or perhaps provide a link?
Handy reference: Pete Buttigieg’s political stances

A really good way to find out a candidate's policies though is to just search for "(candidate name) policies". You'll almost always get something useful in the first few links.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Handy reference: Pete Buttigieg’s political stances

A really good way to find out a candidate's policies though is to just search for "(candidate name) policies". You'll almost always get something useful in the first few links.

Hey thanks...

He starts off pretty good on that list, doesn't quite go off the rails until it gets to illegal immigration, Israel, and the oil industry.

That's just a handful of issues that he might not hold firm positions on though.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
South Bend, IN mayor Pete Buttigieg, who is gay and a Democratic Presidential contender, addressing VP Mike Pence on LGBT issues.

I've never heard of him, but I gotta admit, it's a good line.

God made man. He did not make man gay. Sin makes man gay, not God. But Jesus, who never knew sin "BECAME" sin for us that we might become the Righteousness of God in Him. There is no sin in God. God is not gay.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God made man. He did not make man gay. Sin makes man gay, not God. But Jesus, who never knew sin "BECAME" sin for us that we might become the Righteousness of God in Him. There is no sin in God. God is not gay.

I'm sure you won't believe it, but as research techniques improve, it's becoming more and more apparent that same sex attraction has a neurophysiological substratum. It's a function of how some people's brains are wired. Which--if you believe in a creator God--would logically be part of God's design.

And there's another line of reasoning. I don't want get too theological. Which would be off topic. But all men sin. Man has a sinful nature, right? So if man was created by God, then God made him that way. God gave him not just the ability to sin, but also the tendency to do so. Isn't that a logical conclusion?

• Winner
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure you won't believe it, but as research techniques improve, it's becoming more and more apparent that same sex attraction has a neurophysiological substratum. It's a function of how some people's brains are wired. Which--if you believe in a creator God--would logically be part of God's design.

And there's another line of reasoning. I don't want get too theological. Which would be off topic. But all men sin. Man has a sinful nature, right? So if man was created by God, then God made him that way. God gave him not just the ability to sin, but also the tendency to do so. Isn't that a logical conclusion?

Child molesters have similar physiological substratum. Does that mean God made people to be child molesters too? No. It's a sin just like it's an abomination for man to lay with a man as with a woman. This is why the Word says "be transformed by the renewing of your mind". Sin corrupts the brain. The Word of God straightens it out.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I admit, this is a good move for Mayor Pete as it has thrust him from some guy to a reasonably serious candidate. I think it was calculated.

I am also under the impression that Pence is not that rigid, and they got along fairly well.

Sincere and reasonable people can have disagreements.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"Your quarrel sir, is with my creator."

It appears that despite being openly "gay," Pete Buttigieg is not only unapologetic but, for the first time in American presidential politics, a candidate that is willing to address the issue "head on" - without conceding the moral "high ground" to his Republican opponents!

It's refreshing that he's not conceding the moral high ground to a book written by men who lived in the iron age, but it shouldn't be such a novel idea.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's refreshing that he's not conceding the moral high ground to a book written by men who lived in the iron age, but it shouldn't be such a novel idea.

That's damning with faint praise, really, and for all we know disrespectful to the faith of Mayor Buttigieg.

While I am a mainline Protestant, and I do believe in the full inclusion of LGBT people into the Church and society, I do not regard the Bible as a relic, even if I am not aligned with American evangelical fundamentalism. You are simply not presenting our beliefs fairly when you misrepresent us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Yes, but "why" did He do that...?

If not so we could figure it (all) out, maybe correct it as well, and as one poster right after you said, (in so many words) we are born into this world, and the world system and society "wires (or programs) our brains a certain way" starting at that age, and since it's a world of sin and death...?

Anyway, God's Word, or the Words of God also wire, and can rewire (reprogram) the brain "from that"...

Then we refer to that person (or people) as a "saved" person (or people) or whatever...

And that could all be a lot of His plan(s) (especially for us) as well...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, but "why" did He do that...?

If not so we could figure it (all) out, maybe correct it as well, and as one poster right after you said, (in so many words) we are born into this world, and the world system and society "wires (or programs) our brains a certain way" starting at that age, and since it's a world of sin and death...?

Anyway, God's Word, or the Words of God also wire, and can rewire (reprogram) the brain "from that"...

Then we refer to that person (or people) as a "saved" person (or people) or whatever...

And that could all be a lot of His plan(s) (especially for us) as well...

God Bless!
Then some might say, "Well, God caused, or was the author of, or created, "a problem", just to fix it, or show He could fix it, or come in and fix it or save us or whatever... Or if not, or otherwise, so we might have or get the chance to fix it, ect...

If God did that, "if", then what are you going to say to Him about it...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Your quarrel sir, is with my creator"

Given that this President is "morally challenged" when it comes to his repeated marriage infidelities and his denials concerning paying "hush money" to inappropriate content stars and Playboy "centrefolds," it should be interesting as to how Trump and his conservative Christian supporters intend on dealing with a "gay" Democratic candidate - should Buttigieg emerge as a major candidate!

Defense of Trump has largely been, "I voted for a president, not a pastor" rhetoric, ergo, Trump's philandering, immoral, and awful behaviors don't matter as long as he can "do the job"; or so the argument is couched.

This will not be applicable to other candidates, Trump is a special case. Buttigieg's sexual orientation can only mean that, if he were to become president, that America has failed morally beyond repair, because the morals of the person you elect to the highest office in the land reflects the spiritual state of the nation, and ergo, America is in desperate need to repent for having elected a degenerate, and God's wrath is certainly about to befall us all unless we bring God back and make this a Christian nation again.

Because moral conviction is for suckers. (/tongue in cheek)

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
South Bend, IN mayor Pete Buttigieg, who is gay and a Democratic Presidential contender, addressing VP Mike Pence on LGBT issues.

I've never heard of him, but I gotta admit, it's a good line.

But nearly every man and every woman has also been born with inclinations to easily give into sexual sin in a variety of other ways. It is very common for people to point out that monogamy is unnatural or that loads of marriages end in divorce because of adultery. We are even taught by many that sexuality is fluid.

But, suddenly, we are supposed to believe that Buggigieg is immutably gay, and that someone who has a sexual disorder is not called to deny this inclination, as if there have never been celibate vocations.

I just do not see how it would be a persuasive argument to anyone who doesn't already agree with him.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Defense of Trump has largely been, "I voted for a president, not a pastor" rhetoric, ergo, Trump's philandering, immoral, and awful behaviors don't matter as long as he can "do the job"; or so the argument is couched.

This will not be applicable to other candidates, Trump is a special case. Buttigieg's sexual orientation can only mean that, if he were to become president, that America has failed morally beyond repair, because the morals of the person you elect to the highest office in the land reflects the spiritual state of the nation, and ergo, America is in desperate need to repent for having elected a degenerate, and God's wrath is certainly about to befall us all unless we bring God back and make this a Christian nation again.

Because moral conviction is for suckers. (/tongue in cheek)

-CryptoLutheran
Noe of us agree on "morals" anymore, which has led many to just try and do away with them altogether, I guess...

But, what should our, or what should America's morals be...? and who decides...?

But, how can we all get on the same page with it...? or are we even supposed to...? and either way, how do we lead a nation or people like that...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Noe of us agree on "morals" anymore, which has led many to just try and do away with them altogether, I guess...

But, what should our, or what should America's morals be...? and who decides...?

But, how can we all get on the same page with it...? or are we even supposed to...? and either way, how do we lead a nation or people like that...?

God Bless!
Probably should begin with, what we should all agree on, or upon, that America is, or should "stand for", (now ect)... (or in this day and age)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.