Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My mum says she doesnt drive cos shes too scared, but she does...she just drives me crazy.

Dad mows the lawns and has never complained about doing it ever, but mum complains loudly whenever she mops the floors. None of them have ever swapped those jobs.

I think mum should mow the lawns for a change and dad mop the floor.

I will just quietly sweep the rug with my own carpet sweeper while they argue whos got the worst job.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
More dramas with my parents. My sister wants us to all go on holiday right because its going to be her birthday and dads in september and she wants us all to be together and have a true family holiday which weve only ever had ONCE. Shes flying all the way from london and its meant to be a surprise for my parents, especially dad.

Well me and my brother have been organising something but we know dad doesnt ever want to leave the house but we got that sorted and my cousin agreed to housesit so we can get away. We told mum and dad we both going to visit our other brother down south cos thats where we going to have our holiday. Do they want to come with us?

Now eveything seemed going according to plan and it seem like a good idea as mum is dying to go visit down south and do the touristy thing and we convinced dad he would see this train etc.

Then later mum says to me, you dont really need to come with us, as you a,ready visited brother this year (it was only for a day!) so you can stay home and look after the house. Im like what????!

And then later, when mums starting to be impossible and tick dad off dad said to me. Im going to stay home and look after the house. I dont really want to go.

???! Dad is going to be 70 and he doesnt even want to go have a holiday with his own family. :-(

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Bummer ... hope they change their mind again. I guess if all else fails you can tell them their daughter from London is planning to be there.

Some times surprises aren't the best option. Talk to your sister. It might be better to include your parents in the planning so that they can see the big picture. The real treat is to get everyone together...the "surprise" factor isn't as important even if it would be nice.

Just as a suggestion. Does your brother have children and he could call your mother and say that he needs you to come baby sit so that he can spend time with her and your dad? ... he doesn't have to say the kids will be included since it is a family thing.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I told my sister that this surprise thing wasnt such a good idea.
But shes all set on it.

No my brothers dont have children. So cant use that as a incentive. Im sure it will work out in the end because my bros are booking the tickets and acccomdation. And we are paying for our parents flights etc.

But meh, this stuff always happens in my family. My dad doesnt travel well. Hes never really taken an overnight holiday away from home of his own will. It might be a strain.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My parents were married for 28 years, and it was miserable. They were either fighting, not talking, or separated. Usually when a separation ended and they got back together it was a very fragile and temporary truce with no problems solved. They were both abusive and manipulative to each other and all of us kids. He cheated on her. She reached points where she would encourage his infidelity in a sick form of passive aggressiveness. They eventually divorced after most of their four kids were grown, and only one sibling was still a minor.

I would not want to follow their example at all. They both claimed to be Christians, but didn't live like it, and didn't teach it to us really. I attended church by myself as a child and learned to live a Christian life without them, and in some ways against them.

When I was married, I worked hard to fix our problems. When he became abusive I stood my ground. He became abusive toward our older son, and I left him with the intention of divorcing. It was while we were separated that I learned he had been cheating on me. It drove me to the divorce even harder.

I guess in some ways I did follow their foot steps, but I didn't allow it to continue and became toxic and drag out years of rockiness and misery and damage to the kids. I pulled my boys out of that and refused to live that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I had really good parents who loved me and my siblings. All that I am today in this world I owe to them. They are both dead now. That said, they did not provide me any clues to romance. They met by correspondence during WWII. My father was in the Pacific and a buddy who knew my mother suggested that he write to my mother. After the war my mother burned all of their correspondence. That was their courtship and they got married after my father returned from the war.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I would suspect it means there were things said in those letters that she didn't want anyone finding out about .... maybe they talked dirty or someone confessed some secrets that they decided needed to remain a secret ... (possibly previous relationships since I know people of that generation who did not tell their kids that one of the parents had been married previously)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh just want to say our family trip went well and dad was really pleased and enjoyed it. Mum...she complained about the food as per usual but othwrwise i think she liked it and was the one most surprised by sister turning up. Lol

We went in two cars as my two brothers drove and dad asked me to sit with him so mum could go in the other car and not annoy him!

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Never knew either parent and from what I have learned over the years it was for the best,they were not married so those of you here including moderators who have said,that Tull,what a bastard he is....you are correct.

I have known many people burdened with dysfunctional and downright evil parents,no matter how good their life was the dark cloud of mom and/or dad was always there to rain on it.

Upvote 0