Your parents

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I think sometimes worry is an emotion that God gave us to remove ourselves from danger or to seek help. If my child is suddenly running a high temperature, it is worry that makes me act and take the child to a doctor. Children die when parents don't know enough to worry. There is a difference between normal worry and crippling worry that means you don't trust God.

Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think sometimes worry is an emotion that God gave us to remove ourselves from danger or to seek help. If my child is suddenly running a high temperature, it is worry that makes me act and take the child to a doctor. Children die when parents don't know enough to worry. There is a difference between normal worry and crippling worry that means you don't trust God.

You may be looking for the word concern here. I agree that showing concern is normal.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You may be looking for the word concern here. I agree that showing concern is normal.

We tend to use the word "worry" as a synonym for "concern"....yes, it may be more precise but not the word most mothers use. We simply worry about our kids...that they grow up to be moral ethical people, that they know God, that they do the things in life that will allow them to have successful lives, that they marry someone who really loves them...along with we worry when they have health concerns, financial concerns, career concerns, or even if they are 4 years old and have climbed too high on the monkey bars ... but most of us are not in tears over these worries, unable to live our lives ...

Not necessarily the same kind of "worry" that the Bible says shows that we don't trust God to be in control of our lives.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, it was a funny episode. I'm sure many mothers would have been beside themselves if their child went missing for three days, and Jesus just seemed like 'why worry?'
they just assumed he was with them lol. Like the home alone episode.

in the movie kevin didn't go anywhere he stayed home. And so did Jesus. Where else would he have been.

Reactions: James of Arc
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think mother Mary was a worrier because she said she was in tears over Jesus gone missing. Or sorrow.

She was also worried about what others think eg at jesus first miracle it was at a wedding where they had no wine. She kinda bullied Jesus into fixing the situation.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its all the same to me, worry and concern. jesus even told martha she cared and concerned about many things other than what was really imprtant, sitting at His feet, learning from Him.

Which seems to me that even if you are a parent your first concern is to love God then your children. If you dont put God first and make an idol of your children thats not good either.

I have known a lot of mothers and all they pray about is their children who dont do what they want, but they never set a good example either or taught them to pray themselves....double standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why worry when you can just teach them about finances, careeers, marriage etc by settting a good example. It just seems ridiculous when parents just dont actually take the time to teach their children right and then end up worrying about them.

Its like..do what i say, not what I do.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think mother Mary was a worrier because she said she was in tears over Jesus gone missing. Or sorrow.

She was also worried about what others think eg at jesus first miracle it was at a wedding where they had no wine. She kinda bullied Jesus into fixing the situation.

Into giving more wine to people who were already drunk enough to not be able to tell the difference between good and poor wine! Judging from my ex who grew up in a wine producing area in Germany it is a state well beyond stumbling and slurring of words and well on the way to more or less passing out.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,342.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Anyway the topic is about YOUR parents please stick to it. If you actually a parent then still, just talk about YOUR parents not yourself.

Im sorry but I get annoyed when people constantly derail threads when i make them.

Just skimming through the thread, it seems that most of the posts not about the poster's parents stem from when you've introduced something unrelated. So who's derailing the thread? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You and blackribbon are, please talk about YOUR parents.
I already talked about mine.

If you got nothing worthwhile to say please don't post in my threads. James of Arc stuck to the topic, at least I can have a decent discussion with him.

So YOUR parents. are they christians or not. Are they still around or have you bumped them off or IDK. do they drive you crazy? Are they still together?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,342.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
You and blackribbon are,

Really? We're not the ones who brought up Sylvia Plath and later on how worrying isn't Christian, both of which led to off-topic discussions.

please talk about YOUR parents.

I did - Post 16 of this thread.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
My mother is a Christian. My father thought he was but isn't. I was raised in a Christian home with my paternal grandparents being the best model of a Christian marriage I have ever seen. My dad walked out on us when I was a teenager. His life sucks but God took care of the rest of us. I have a decent relationship with my mother and love her. My kids adore her.

... Now exactly why do you care about my parents? I can't tell you what they think or why they did anything. I can tell you why I parent the way I do. You'd rather have a post about what we think our parents think and why we think they do things? I haven't lived under my mother's roof or rules for over 25 years. To discuss them is almost like gossiping in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ok, I just don't what others to think I am misleading you guys.

Goodbook is going to get mad at us for not talking about "our parents"...and I have been using the edit function for as long as I have been on this forum since delete is not a choice.

To make this a "legal" post.... I don't know what my mom thinks all the time but I have taken some time to learn about who she was before I was born and after I moved out. I do know why she picked her college major and how she met my father...and some details about her life before I was born. I drove across Texas to attended her college graduation when she got her Master's degree and I was no longer living at home. I have met some of her students and her friends...so I know who she is talking about when she tells me about what is going on in her life. I have no contact with my dad and am okay with that. I am also making plans for the day she might have to come live with me if she gets unable to care for herself anymore.

Upvote 0