your attention please

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or we could join up with Auntie, create our own denomination, write our own heretical scriptures and demand a forum, too! :clap:

I saw we make Elvis the focal point. We need to include the (Perfect, Beautiful, Holy, Almighty, Absolute) Lord, too, so we can say they were brothers :)

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Or we could join up with Auntie, create our own denomination, write our own heretical scriptures and demand a forum, too! :clap:

I saw we make Elvis the focal point. We need to include the (Perfect, Beautiful, Holy, Almighty, Absolute) Lord, too, so we can say they were brothers :)
LOL! I saw that! So funny!!! (though sadly, I think the "unorthodox" supporters in there would actually support such an idea.)

Upvote 0
L

~*Lady Trekki*~

Hummm...you know there IS another church out there called "The Spock Church". :eek:

Link

“The Spock” Church

the_spock_church.jpg
A few miles south of Lynchburg in Campbell County sits a large and attractive octagonal building which is home to one of most unique churches in the world. Founded in 1977, “The Spock,” as the church is called, is the world’s only church of Star Trek, a religion centered on the popular 1960’s television series featuring the adventures of a crew of interstellar explorers. “The Spock” promotes beliefs associated with one of the popular characters in the TV series, Mr. Spock, who was from a peace-loving race of aliens known as “Vulcans.”
The ideology of the church is centered on so-called Vulcan philosophy which includes the belief in pure “logic” and which emphasizes a lifestyle devoid of emotion. A huge stained-glass likeness of the church’s namesake is featured in the sanctuary, where churchgoers recite sequences of dialogue from the series and participate in what they call a “Holy Mind Meld.” Many church members wear stick-on pointed ears (mimicking those of the TV character) during services and at other church functions (in one case of excessive dedication to the “faith,” one member attempted to have his ears surgically altered but with disastrous results, requiring extensive corrective surgery).
the_spock_service.jpg

“The Spock” is not without controversy, as reportedly in the late 1980’s disagreement arose within the church over the lengths to which members should go in emulating the purely logical and emotionless Vulcan approach to life. Some members advocated a reasonable degree of emotion (citing Mr. Spock’s half-human side), but a core group of hard-line members insisted on a rigid adherence to Vulcan ideology. The stricter view won out, and as a result, several members left the church and publicly denounced its practices. One resentful former member went so far as to publish a science fiction story based on his rigid and stifling upbringing in the faith, a story which concludes with the destruction of the Campbell County sanctuary by a “phaser” blast from an orbiting “starship” at his command. Despite the dissent, “The Spock” boasts a membership today of over 120, and actively campaigns for new members at area fan conventions and at Star Trek movie showings in local theatres. Leonard Nimoy, the actor who played Mr. Spock in Star Trek, has refused comment on “The Spock.”

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hummm...you know there IS another church out there called "The Spock Church". :eek:

Link

“The Spock” Church

the_spock_church.jpg
A few miles south of Lynchburg in Campbell County sits a large and attractive octagonal building which is home to one of most unique churches in the world. Founded in 1977, “The Spock,” as the church is called, is the world’s only church of Star Trek, a religion centered on the popular 1960’s television series featuring the adventures of a crew of interstellar explorers. “The Spock” promotes beliefs associated with one of the popular characters in the TV series, Mr. Spock, who was from a peace-loving race of aliens known as “Vulcans.”
The ideology of the church is centered on so-called Vulcan philosophy which includes the belief in pure “logic” and which emphasizes a lifestyle devoid of emotion. A huge stained-glass likeness of the church’s namesake is featured in the sanctuary, where churchgoers recite sequences of dialogue from the series and participate in what they call a “Holy Mind Meld.” Many church members wear stick-on pointed ears (mimicking those of the TV character) during services and at other church functions (in one case of excessive dedication to the “faith,” one member attempted to have his ears surgically altered but with disastrous results, requiring extensive corrective surgery).
the_spock_service.jpg

“The Spock” is not without controversy, as reportedly in the late 1980’s disagreement arose within the church over the lengths to which members should go in emulating the purely logical and emotionless Vulcan approach to life. Some members advocated a reasonable degree of emotion (citing Mr. Spock’s half-human side), but a core group of hard-line members insisted on a rigid adherence to Vulcan ideology. The stricter view won out, and as a result, several members left the church and publicly denounced its practices. One resentful former member went so far as to publish a science fiction story based on his rigid and stifling upbringing in the faith, a story which concludes with the destruction of the Campbell County sanctuary by a “phaser” blast from an orbiting “starship” at his command. Despite the dissent, “The Spock” boasts a membership today of over 120, and actively campaigns for new members at area fan conventions and at Star Trek movie showings in local theatres. Leonard Nimoy, the actor who played Mr. Spock in Star Trek, has refused comment on “The Spock.”
Even better! Spock is fictitious. Elvis is a problem in that he really existed. Gives it an element of reality.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^_^

It's to the point of ridiculous when people are so into tolerance they can't admit the truth. :(
Honestly, though, it's little wonder. Some of the people supporting it are the same people who have said "Sin in subjective" and "Sin is only a sin if it doesn't hurt anyone else." :|

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

Upvote 0

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's too early to vote on changing the name until it's decided if and where an LDS forum will be.

As to the poll of making an LDS fourm, I had to vote "no" because the "where" is not specified.

I have no problem with them having their own area as long as it's not in the "Christian" congregational area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, though, it's little wonder. Some of the people supporting it are the same people who have said "Sin in subjective" and "Sin is only a sin if it doesn't hurt anyone else." :|

I must admit, I'm hearing this a lot more these days.

And I cannot understand the logic behind it. It's humanistic.

If I had premarital sex with my boyfriend, neither one of us got hurt, but it's still a sin. It still goes against what the Lord has commanded.

I expect that with ELCA's recent decision I'll be hearing this much more. But that's another thread for another day...

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What recent decision? :( I have a feeling it's not a good one.

The frightening thing is "Do what thou willt but harm no other." is the central tenet of satanism. That people are using that same tenet to define Christianity is beyond heretical. It's satanic. Not rhetorically, or anything, but actually.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The ELCA, who has long approved of celibate homosexuals as ministers, issued a memorial telling the pastors and bishops of the synod to "lighten up" essentially, and to not punish any homosexual pastors found to be in a committed relationship.

From what some ELCA members have told me, the memorial was passed simply to silence a vocal group at the convention. :sigh:

I'm almost not sure which is worse here.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is the moonie representation anyhow?

Can't leave anyone out :D

This place is kinda like the phone book. When ya look in the phone book under "Church" ya find 'em all. Just as in the real world ya have to speak the truth in the forum of public debate, cyberworld's the same way.

Naw, I don't want mormon & jw congregations, but truth be told I was very shocked when the 7th Adventists became "accepted", so if they're allowed then are the others far behind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

This place is kinda like the phone book. When ya look in the phone book under "Church" ya find 'em all. Just as in the real world ya have to speak the truth in the forum of public debate, cyberworld's the same way.

Naw, I don't want mormon & jw congregations, but truth be told I was very shocked when the 7th Adventists became "accepted", so if they're allowed then are the others far behind?
Well the problem is that some Adventists are orthodox while others are not. But this forum has been going down hill for a while.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

That also crossed my mind the first day I ever came here. But I thought, hey, who am I to judge?

Just now with everything that's happened, I'm a little protective of my Christian corner...:blush:

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ya, let people in that refute what God teaches us, THEN ASK THEM TO VOTE IN HOW A CHRISTIAN SITE SHOULD OPERATE!?????????

Why not go solicit atheist websites and ask them to come in & vote on it too?:help: :doh: :swoon: :mad:

I can't begin to express how HAPPY I am that GOD IS GOD, and He doesn't make stupid errors like this - asking His own enemies how He should run things.
He doesn't change or waffle in His truth or thoughts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.