your attention please

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Mac!
Interesting...
didn't vote, cos am honestly not sure - but will keep an eye on the discussion for a bit.
Seems to me that where it is makes a huge difference...
Well the thread that started the poll called for the forums to be in the Faith (Christian congregation) section, and the reason given was they are "established Christian denominations" :(

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Mac!
Interesting...
didn't vote, cos am honestly not sure - but will keep an eye on the discussion for a bit.
Seems to me that where it is makes a huge difference...

Yeah, I had to give it some thought before I made that original post which I quoted in the poll thread. I really think it comes down to what Erwin's vision for the site is.

I find it greatly disturbing that so many people don't see that what divides, say, a Lutheran from an Eastern Orthodox believer is far different from what divides, say, a Catholic and a Mormon. It troubles me that we are so weak on doctrine that we can't differentiate between essential core issues and non-essential variations within the Christian faith.

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well the thread that started the poll called for the forums to be in the Faith (Christian congregation) section, and the reason given was they are "established Christian denominations" :(
:(
Am certainly against that - but Letalis has posted since, and seems to think that it may be elsewhere...
I wouldn't object if it's not in the Christians area.
Seems a good way to draw them in, and they may hear the truth!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:(
Am certainly against that - but Letalis has posted since, and seems to think that it may be elsewhere...
I wouldn't object if it's not in the Christians area.
Seems a good way to draw them in, and they may hear the truth!!

I see some logic in that, and don't find it as offensive to the Gospel as treating them like just another Christian denomination.

To be honest, I have some concerns about the recent widespread use of terms like "non-Nicene Christian." I hope we use great caution in expressing the difference between orthodoxy and heresy. Yeah, I know, "heresy" isn't a very PC term, but when doctrines like the deity of Christ start getting tossed around, it's a big deal.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I voted no.

I did extensive study on both of these "religions" and Christ certainly isn't the center of their worship. Christ seems to be an afterthought to both sets.

And if Erwin sets up a separate area for them, doesn't that open the door to any other "religion"? Would we then end up voting to allow the Moonies their own area? Or Branch Davidians? (Do they still exist?)

I think it's fine the way it's set up now. They have a place where they can post, but since this is supposed to be Christ centered forum, I don't think they should be afforded the same "protection" that we have in our congregational fora (which is actually kind of a joke right now anyway!)

<stepping off soapbox>

Upvote 0
L

~*Lady Trekki*~

Yeah, I had to give it some thought before I made that original post which I quoted in the poll thread. I really think it comes down to what Erwin's vision for the site is.

I find it greatly disturbing that so many people don't see that what divides, say, a Lutheran from an Eastern Orthodox believer is far different from what divides, say, a Catholic and a Mormon. It troubles me that we are so weak on doctrine that we can't differentiate between essential core issues and non-essential variations within the Christian faith.

:sigh:
So do I...and it forces me to dig a little deeper and research a little harder. I guess that's not a bad thing. ;) But you hit the nail on the head here Mac. :hug:

I see some logic in that, and don't find it as offensive to the Gospel as treating them like just another Christian denomination.

To be honest, I have some concerns about the recent widespread use of terms like "non-Nicene Christian." I hope we use great caution in expressing the difference between orthodoxy and heresy. Yeah, I know, "heresy" isn't a very PC term, but when doctrines like the deity of Christ start getting tossed around, it's a big deal.

So do I! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :| But it kinda surprises me that Erwin doesn't see the harm in it.

I voted no.

I did extensive study on both of these "religions" and Christ certainly isn't the center of their worship. Christ seems to be an afterthought to both sets.

And if Erwin sets up a separate area for them, doesn't that open the door to any other "religion"? Would we then end up voting to allow the Moonies their own area? Or Branch Davidians? (Do they still exist?)

I think it's fine the way it's set up now. They have a place where they can post, but since this is supposed to be Christ centered forum, I don't think they should be afforded the same "protection" that we have in our congregational fora (which is actually kind of a joke right now anyway!)

<stepping off soapbox>

Amen! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I agree - am in no way in favour of calling cults Christian - even 'non-Nicene Christian" - is a complete travesty!
But if we are to reach these people with the gospel, we need to let them come here...

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree - am in no way in favour of calling cults Christian - even 'non-Nicene Christian" - is a complete travesty!
But if we are to reach these people with the gospel, we need to let them come here...
But they are here. What can't happen is their having a forum along with all the other Christian denominational ones, in the same section. It legitamizes them, and a Christian out-reach forum has a duty to prevent heretical viewpoints from being endorsed :(

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ug, this is EXACTLY why I did not want the "Congregational" section to be called "Christian Forums". There's already a JW section, and now it looks like more will be added. Seriously, I doubt the poll will make one bit of difference. Those new subforums will be created the day it closes, regardless of the results. I say we focus on getting the Congregational section renamed from "Christian" to something like "Religions". The congregational sections will have to stand on their own, which is already the case. I also strongly advocate that all the fluffy new Christian-themed graphics be removed. Erwin wanted this to be a generic networking site, and not scare away unbelievers with all this "Christian nonsense". But as soon as they come here, the first thing they see is those graphics, which is NO DIFFERENT than keeping the name CF. And it's all lies. There are some great Christians here, but the spririt of this entire forum does not respect or glorify Christ. Period. (And that was true even before 7/7/7).

My next prediction is that we will see an Islam forum, an Athiest forum, etc, etc. Kinda figured that was on the way for a while now. If we're going to roll with it, let's at least keep Christ's name from being dragged through the mud any more than it alread has.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Des, that's such a wonderful point. It's not even the Faith Section anymore. It's Christian, with all that implies.

Will you bring that up in the thread?
Just did. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.