You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The problem for me as I see it, is that the churches are spending my tithe unwisely! I draw clear parallels between the Temple/Sanhedrin in Jesus' time, and the church now: huge sums spent on trimmings/heating/building/paraphernalia/etc., whilst children are dying of thirst and hunger in so many parts of the world. Sorry, but I have cut my giving and now support such charities as "Compassion", "Open Doors", etc. The bottom line for me is "What would Jesus do under the circumstances?" Yes that requires discernment but the closer you get to Him and the space you give Him to speak to you, then you often hear His clear directions.
Is it not up to you to insure that your donations, the ones given for God's work, are being used for His Glory?
If you are a member of a church... you are the boss of the Minister. The church board is your representatives... you elect or choose them... If they lack integrity...it's your job to get them out.

You should not leave a church due to the politics or events or how it is run... you should change it and make it scriptural and more inviting to other solid Christians.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is not that there may be relief for others and hardship for you, but it is a question of equality at the present time your surplus is available for their need, so their abundance may also become available for our need, so there may be equality. As it has been written:

The person who gathered much
did not have too much,
and the person who gathered little
did not have too little.
-- 2 Corinthians 8
I apologize but I don't follow what you are trying to say here.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, salvation by works is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to the church.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible really says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to the church. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church.

They will likely proceed to take certain verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give something God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.

woo,

Excellent post. I wouldn't suggest looking for another church but to hand them a Bible and ask them where in the NT it states that a Christian believer should give 10%. They won't find anything, to my knowledge.

That's because tithing is a biblical teaching (OT) but not Christian teaching (NT).

You gave a key verse for the NT's teaching on giving:

'You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully"' (2 Cor 9:7 NLT).​

Oz

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is criticising the Pharisees here for tithing as the law said while neglecting the love of God. You have emphasised the phrase "not to leave the other undone"; this refers to God's love - they were to tithe but not at the expense of neglecting justice and love.

That's why he says "woe" - they were more concerned with the letter of the law than justice, mercy and the love of God.

Exactly.
The rich people gave what they wanted to; even after giving, they would have had a lot left over. The woman gave everything.
When the early church met together after the ascension, they shared all their possessions.
Jesus taught us to put God first, not to have any idols and that we can't serve God and money.
Furthermore, just to add another point. Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who were still under the law at that point. Thus they were still under obligation to tithe. Such is not the case today when the saints are to collect and give cheerfully, to help fellow saints in need - out of love and not obligation to tithe.
More alarmingly the "tithe" collected in churches today, most of it goes to run the organization called church instead of going to needy individuals and families who are the church.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the past I had thought about bringing a 10th of our calf crop and a 10th our hay crop to such a church.
God never allowed money to be given as a tithe, only things that He had created, nothing man-made.
Even if it was about money, it is a tithe on your increase. With the way most of us are in the hock to the bank these days none of us have any increase, rather we can expect to be paying off our debt for many years to come.

• Informative
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, salvation by works is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to the church.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible really says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to the church. It is a man-made doctrine.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church.

They will likely proceed to take certain verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give something God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.
It is interesting that many secular governments have enacted this principle into their taxation (perhaps unknowingly).
You see the purpose of the tithe, as instituted by God, was for the support of the social system of Israel, that is the temple and all who came under the care of the temple. The tithe supported the priests, up keep on the facilities and also helped to support the poor and the needy.
In my country, at least, this function is served by the secular ministry of welfare and associated departments and functions (since it has been abrogated by the Church).

This function consumes around 33% of the tax income which, given an income tax of 30% equates to about 10% of everybody's income (it is, in fact, a bit higher for most).

So everybody, churchy or not is compelled by the law of the state to pay a tithe of their income for the work of God (even though it isn't seen in this way).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the past I had thought about bringing a 10th of our calf crop and a 10th our hay crop to such a church.
God never allowed money to be given as a tithe, only things that He had created, nothing man-made.
Guess I better go find some hay and a cow.......oh, will a horse do?

Luk 9:62
But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

William Tyndale

A clergyman hopelessly entrenched in Roman Catholic dogma once taunted Tyndale with the statement, “"We are better to be without God’s laws than the Pope’'s".

Tyndale was infuriated by such Roman Catholic heresies, and he replied, “
"I defy the Pope and all his laws.
If God spare my life ere many years, I will cause the boy that drives the plow to know more of the scriptures than you!"

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Not sure of what you mean by "redeem their tithe with money," but the fact that the tithe was to be only agricultural products is explicitly emphasized by God directing those with money to buy food and then tithe the food. Moreover, when one did that, God directed them to add an additional fifth...a penalty for having shown up with money instead of food in the first place.

Leviticus 27:31 If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it.

It appears that you are aware of this verse. While I agree that they had to add a fifth, money was nevertheless acceptable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
i remember this pastor telling myself and others to give 10% of our gross with out even thinking about it. To make it a knee jerk reaction, bc there should be no second guessing when it comes to the l-rd.

He said "the cream rises to the top," and so the very best for the very best.

So give, he pleaded, "right off the top."

He said people tell him that oh no they have bills to pay and the rent and the mortgage, and they cant give 10%.

Pastor said that he told them to just trust Jesus, and that he will provide for all of our needs.

He claimed that after they started to just trust Jesus, suddenly they got that raise or that promotion and so.....

If we just trust in the L-rd, the blessings will rain down upon us

He said that this is how we are to live-to give G-d first place in our lives

He said the world is only the way that it is because we stopped making g-d first in our lives

and so we deny him the privilege to bless us.

and so, by not giving, we are denying GOD!

This pastor, during the Christmas eve service, insisted on members bringing their tithes up to the alter personally, one at a time, and placing their money into the cradle of the "baby Jesus" on Christmas eve.

So one, by one, members stood up and walked up to the front, and placed their monies right into the wooden cradle, with the infant jesus.

Heard that before. God gets the first part. That means 10% of gross pay. Don't cheat God by only giving Him 10% of your paycheck after taxes are deducted. Also, the tithe is the minimum/obligatory amount. God deserves a free will offering on top of the tithe. The more you give God the more God will give you.

It's a modern business growth strategy since the average person gives less than 10% and making them walk it up let's others see how much they are giving which boosts contributions. One pastor told everyone to hold the money in the air and dance while giving. I heard another used clothes lines so everyone could see how much everyone else was giving.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Net income, not gross income, is what should be considered as obligatory for tithing. Because it all depends on how much is left over.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a modern business growth strategy since the average person gives less than 10% and making them walk it up let's others see how much they are giving which boosts contributions. One pastor told everyone to hold the money in the air and dance while giving. I heard another used clothes lines so everyone could see how much everyone else was giving.
It's a manipulative tactic used to embarrass people into giving more.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Net income, not gross income, is what should be considered as obligatory for tithing. Because it all depends on how much is left over.
It's neither 10% on the gross nor 10% on the net under the New Covenant.

This is what it is: "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all are corrupt and greedy. Some really believe God requires people to give 10% of their gross income to the church. The reason why some are caught up in this false belief is because they are not interpreting the Scriptures correctly. They need to be taught how to do proper Exegesis. Unfortunately, not all are humble enough to receive correction.

Then they willfully choose to not study the bible or they are just ignorant of solid doctrine. In either case they are not qualified. But I am afraid many have bought into the lie and therefore have become corrupt. When their motivation revolves around tithes, collecting tithes, and getting money flow the whole gospel message becomes compromised. Say a person in willful blatant sin and many in the church no it, but the Pastor dare not confront them because they are big tithers and that would mean they walk and with them their money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one need tithe 10% of their gross income. No one ought to feel compelled to give any fixed proportion of their income to their denomination. If you decide to give then give whatever you want to give and give it to whoever and whatever you like.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks woobadooba but you have no right to speak for God on this. What you PERSONALLY believe is one thing. But to tell others as in GODS children.. walk very softly :) Who are you? Who knows you? How long have you walked in what you preach and teach? Now lets go pray :)

Do you know why people in Johns Peters so forth day gave up there stuff as in lands and what not? WAY beyond 10% So.. only speak for you.. if you dont want to you dont feel you have to ..then dont.. what ever. But to tell others what they should do based on how you FEEL.

As minister.. it is in the word. I give when I give..its never to man its to my Father. Always remember that. I don't care WHO is asking. It always goes to God when I give. And one question.. how can someone LOVE someone they dont know? You said.. Jesus said.. if you love me.. how can you LOVE someone you dont know. Takes time.. JESUS IS REAL!

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks woobadooba but you have no right to speak for God on this. What you PERSONALLY believe is one thing. But to tell others as in GODS children.. walk very softly :) Who are you? Who knows you? How long have you walked in what you preach and teach? Now lets go pray :)
Hey, I'm just a guy who thinks we ought to follow the Bible. And there is nothing in there saying believers are required by God to give 10% of their gross income to a religious organization.

Upvote 0

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When God explicitly defined "tithe," that over-wrote whatever had been done before.

For instance, Abraham married his sister--the Mosaic Covenant over wrote that. We don't go back to what Abraham did.

Jacob married competing sisters--the Mosaic Covenant over-wrote that. We don't go back to what Jacob did.
Abraham is an Angel of the church Age. He did all that was required of him. GOD does not change. HE is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

If there is a person in the earth, operating by the authority of the higher priesthood - the Melchizedek priesthood, and you are being fed by him, then you are required to tithe 10% of your salary in knowledge that you are laying for yourself, treasures in Heaven. That person in the earth, has the message for you to transfigure, which means you shall stretch to your original anatomy. Thus the person who is feeding you, eats your tight to enable you to stretch. When you tithe to a person operating by the authority of the higher priesthood, you have found the truth. And, the truth is what enables you to transfigure. You secure for yourself many Spiritual things when you tithe correctly.

I chose to answer this thread because to say that it is not a requirement that we tithe is incorrect. Tithe only to that person, operating by the authority of the higher priesthood, the rest are false, are liars, are wolves in sheeps clothing, every pastor, priest, preacher that is not operating by the Melchizedek Priesthood cannot feed you, or clothe you or secure anything for you in Heaven. For they are prophets of baal.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If they made it sound like a 'transactional' thing I can see your problem with it.

In the Old Testament, the Israelites were allowed to live in the land God gave them, with Him as their Lord. They were required to pay tithes of crops and herds, apparently three tithes with one of them being collected every three years for som eof the disadvantaged members of society. They also were required to give firstfruits offerings and certain other offerings. There were also sin offerings and offerings given of their own free will. One tithe went into the LEvitical priestly system. Another was eaten by those who 'paid' the tithe.' Another was given to the widow, fatherless, stranger, and Levites within the gates of the local city.

I can't find a command to give 10% to the local church. I suspect the earliest Christians paid tithes into the Levitical priestly system. Unless 'increase' refers to cash income, tithes in the Bible were agricultural (and 'animal-husbandrial') in nature. I am unaware of a command that merchants tithe gold or that widows who did not have land had to tithe of whatever they gleaned from a neighbor's field. Landowning farmers were to tithe.

Somehow, preachers who hold to 'literalist' interpretations of everything else, will allegoricalize this. Crops become cash. The priestly system becomes the church. Jerusalem becomes the church. Some of them will take a verse about Israel being cursed for not paying tithes into the LEvitical priestly system from the land of Israel, and turn that into Gentile Christians being under a curse for not giving the church 10% of cash income.

We should also keep in mind that there were other tithes. Abraham tithed the spoils of war. So did Israel at times. Jacob vowed to tithe to God. So tithing is a religious practice that goes way back and is not exclusively tithed to agriculture. I think of it as a good practice, a good discipline. But God also loves a cheerful giver.

So, do we have to give 10%? That's another issue. We are all to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us. For someone who is affluent, 10Q% may be too low. One of the problem with tithe teaching is when preaches say you give God 10% and you get to keep the rest. Is that really the teaching of Jesus on giving? The early church applied Jesus' teachings by having all things in common.

How much you give depends on how much income you have. I don't agree with teaching poor widows to give 10%, the type of people who were not rquired to tithe but received tithes in Biblical times, and then the church not supporting them. I think tithe teaching can be very unjust in that sense, guilt tripping and squeezing for cash those whom we should be helping.

Upvote 0