You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, there is nowhere in the NT which says a) that Christians are required to tithe and b) that it has to be money - from your income.

No, but if someone requires that you do something they are not giving you a choice in the matter. So requiring that a person give 10% is much the same as demanding that they do so.

Tithing 10% of your wages is not Scriptural.
Tithing to a prophet is not Scriptural - a church may not have any prophets in it anyway, which would suggest they were off the hook.
Implying that some people have greater spiritual insight, or are on a higher lever spiritually, than others is neither Scriptural, nor charitable.

1. We're not in a battle against death. We still die physically, but it is not the end, there is life after death and we will be raised with new bodies. Jesus gives eternal life, and makes it possible for us to not die spiritually but spend it with him. So we CAN say "O death, where is thy sting?" It's not the end; when we die, we will go to be with the Lord forever.
2. Abraham attacked a particular person, took all his possessions and gave Melchizedek 1/10. This implies that he kept the rest. For your analogy to work we would have to attack the devil, who brings death, take his possessions, give the Lord 1/10 and keep the rest.
The Lord has complete power and authority over the devil. He neither wants, or needs, 10% of the devil's possessions - and I certainly do not want the other 90%!
3. Scripture does not teach what you have said.

you cannot take the NT without the OT. It is like taking the LAW over the Prophet and vice versa. You need both the LAW and the Prophet, just like you need both the Old and new Testaments. Without both, you don't have the WORD, nor the truth.

Tithing is a requirement. And if there is a Prophet, there is only one Prophet. If you die, then you lost the battle to your last enemy. Anyone who has died has not had eternal life. What about Enoch and Elijah which never tasted death at all? Those Great Prophets are the only ones that have had Eternal Life. When a person dies, they do not go to be with the LORD. They go to the ghost world called hell; Abrahams Bosom if they are children of the kingdom, or they are sucked into the depths of hell if they are children of darkness. It is there that they await the resurrection.

There are those with higher levels of Spirituality. For instance a Prophet has a much higher level of Spirituality. We need to be at a Height to understand the WORD of GOD in its fullness of grace and truth. If you are not Spiritual, you cannot understand HIS WORD. Tithing is a Spiritual Ordinance, a requirement for those who are eating the bread of life because they do so in knowledge and in Spirit and in truth. It is a willing act, not a demand. No Preacher can force a tithe out of you, no one can force you to give your money. It is an act of will, same as first fruits.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

we should financially/materially support a church only if its spiritual leaders are righteous (enough) according to the righteousness of the true Lord God, otherwise we can only feed satan (i.e. if we support the unrighteousness of an unrighteous "church")

Blessings

Upvote 0

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say that?

Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord. If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it. And every tithe of herds and flocks, every tenth animal of all that pass under the herdsman’s staff, shall be holy to the Lord. One shall not differentiate between good or bad, neither shall he make a substitute for it; and if he does substitute for it, then both it and the substitute shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.” Lev 27:30-34

o the Levites I have given every tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service that they do, their service in the tent of meeting Numb 18:26

“You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.” Deut 14:22

At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do. Deut 14:28-29

And he commanded the people who lived in Jerusalem to give the portion due to the priests and the Levites, that they might give themselves to the Law of the Lord. As soon as the command was spread abroad, the people of Israel gave in abundance the firstfruits of grain, wine, oil, honey, and of all the produce of the field. And they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything. 2Chron 31:4-5

We obligate ourselves to bring the firstfruits of our ground and the firstfruits of all fruit of every tree, year by year, to the house of the Lord; also to bring to the house of our God, to the priests who minister in the house of our God, the firstborn of our sons and of our cattle, as it is written in the Law, and the firstborn of our herds and of our flocks; and to bring the first of our dough, and our contributions, the fruit of every tree, the wine and the oil, to the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and to bring to the Levites the tithes from our ground, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all our towns where we labor. Neh 10:35-37

Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. Prov 3:9-10

Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, “How have we robbed you?” In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Mal 3:8-9

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts. Mal 3:10-12

There is no benefit in tithing to the false, because the oil comes down from the head. That head is the Spirit to the church, the Son of Man, the Angel of the Church Age, the Prophet of that Church Age, which all operate by the higher priesthood, Melchizedek Priesthood, not the levitical Priesthood, which is by genealogy. The Tribe of Levi was in the similitude of that Higher Priesthood, which is why they have no inheritance with the rest of Israel. For their inheritance is GOD. IF you still cannot understand why you are required to tithe, then i cannot help you.

However, DO NOT TITHE TO THE FALSE. THIS HAS NO BENEFIT. TITHE ONLY TO THE TRUE.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How sweet it is! He said. He Had so much steak and lobster last night that he almost didn't make it to church this morning! There were shouts of amen and hallelujah from the congregants.
Reminds me of a guy giving a sermon on tithing who stood there demanding we give 10% on our gross income while accusing us all of robbing God and being idolaters for giving less. Then he went on to brag about how God blessed him with two homes. We were living in a small apartment in a complex with hardly any furniture, living from paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does it say that?
You will never get a direct answer to this question, but verses taken out of context and examples of people reading meaning into the word of God that isn't there.

These people have been deceived into believing a lie, and they are not ready to receive the truth. I was one of them. I used to get offended by people who objected to this man-made tradition. But then my eyes were open. I understood the points people were making who exposed the tithing deception. And now I am free from the false guilt that was placed on me by ignorant people who accuse believers of robbing God for not giving 10% of their gross income to the church.

The denomination I used to be a member of was even worse. If you don't agree with their rules on tithing you can't hold an office in the church. In other words, even if you have leadership skills and are gifted in that area, they won't be using you in that capacity. But they will still accept whatever money you can give.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord. If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it. And every tithe of herds and flocks, every tenth animal of all that pass under the herdsman’s staff, shall be holy to the Lord. One shall not differentiate between good or bad, neither shall he make a substitute for it; and if he does substitute for it, then both it and the substitute shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.” Lev 27:30-34

o the Levites I have given every tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service that they do, their service in the tent of meeting Numb 18:26

“You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.” Deut 14:22

At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do. Deut 14:28-29

And he commanded the people who lived in Jerusalem to give the portion due to the priests and the Levites, that they might give themselves to the Law of the Lord. As soon as the command was spread abroad, the people of Israel gave in abundance the firstfruits of grain, wine, oil, honey, and of all the produce of the field. And they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything. 2Chron 31:4-5

We obligate ourselves to bring the firstfruits of our ground and the firstfruits of all fruit of every tree, year by year, to the house of the Lord; also to bring to the house of our God, to the priests who minister in the house of our God, the firstborn of our sons and of our cattle, as it is written in the Law, and the firstborn of our herds and of our flocks; and to bring the first of our dough, and our contributions, the fruit of every tree, the wine and the oil, to the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and to bring to the Levites the tithes from our ground, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all our towns where we labor. Neh 10:35-37

Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. Prov 3:9-10

Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, “How have we robbed you?” In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Mal 3:8-9

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts. Mal 3:10-12

There is no benefit in tithing to the false, because the oil comes down from the head. That head is the Spirit to the church, the Son of Man, the Angel of the Church Age, the Prophet of that Church Age, which all operate by the higher priesthood, Melchizedek Priesthood, not the levitical Priesthood, which is by genealogy. The Tribe of Levi was in the similitude of that Higher Priesthood, which is why they have no inheritance with the rest of Israel. For their inheritance is GOD. IF you still cannot understand why you are required to tithe, then i cannot help you.

However, DO NOT TITHE TO THE FALSE. THIS HAS NO BENEFIT. TITHE ONLY TO THE TRUE.
You need to learn how to rightly divide the Word of Truth before trying to teach others, and stop taking Scripture out of context. You are mishandling the word of God. Learn how to do proper biblical Exegesis.

Upvote 0

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You will never get a direct answer to this question, but verses taken out of context and examples of people reading meaning into the word of God that isn't there.

These people have been deceived into believing a lie, and they are not ready to receive the truth. I was one of them. I used to get offended by people who objected to this man-made tradition. But then my eyes were open. I understood the points people were making who exposed the tithing deception. And now I am free from the false guilt that was placed on me by ignorant people who accuse believers of robbing God for not giving 10% of their gross income to the church.

The denomination I used to be a member of was even worse. If you don't agree with their rules on tithing you can't hold an office in the church. In other words, even if you have leadership skills and are gifted in that area, they won't be using you in that capacity. But they will gladly take whatever money you can give.
Your church is obviously not the true. How dare you and others try to put down an ordinance which was designed by GOD. Tithing is a requirement to the true, to those that are feeding you the WORD that is undiluted, raw, pure, that is immortalising you in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to learn how to rightly divide the Word of Truth before trying to teach others, and stop taking Scripture out of context. You are mishandling the word of God. Learn how to do proper biblical Exegesis.

All i have done is showed the verses which prove you wrong. Man does not decide what GOD has ordained, or set or HIS LAWS. IF you don't want to tithe, fine, but don't discourage others from doing it because you choose to follow your own way.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How dare you and others try to put down an ordinance which was designed by GOD.
The teaching you are trying to push on us is not of God. God never commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church. So I am not putting down any ordinance designed by God. You have falsely accused me of sin.

Learn how to do proper biblical Exegesis before shouting back at people who are trying to teach you the correct way to look at the verses you are taking out of context. You are making things worse for yourself by not listening!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All i have done is showed the verses which prove you wrong.
You have proven no such thing. You have taken verses out of context. You have shown those of us who know the truth that you don't know the truth. That's what you have done. And now you are bringing guilt upon yourself by falsely accusing us of robbing God.

Do an Internet search on "tithing deception". You will find plenty of evidence showing that you are wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tithing is a requirement to the true, to those that are feeding you the WORD that is undiluted, raw, pure, that is immortalising you in life.
We are expected to give free will offerings in support of those who minister to us, not 10% of our gross income.

The doctrine you are esposuing is cotrary to what the Bible teaches on this matter: "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

The individual decides what to give (not necessarily money), how much, and to whom to give it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The teaching you are trying to push on us is not of God. God never commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church. So I am not putting down any ordinance designed by God. You have falsely accused me of sin.

Learn how to do proper biblical Exegesis before shouting back at people who are trying to teach you the correct way to look at the verses you are taking out of context. You are making things worse for yourself by not listening!
You being not a Prophet or an Apostle or an Angel of the church age cannot teach me the ways of GOD, for am i son of the Spirit, being led by this Angel of the church Age. Like i said: If you don't wish to tithe, fine, but don't discourage others from following the ways of GOD. You would do well, to read through the WORD of GOD and see your error, or better yet, seek the truth which is again in the earth.

malachi 4:4-6, Acts 3:19-23, Rev 10:7, Rev 18:4

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, salvation by works is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to the church.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible really says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to the church. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church.

They will likely proceed to take certain verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give something God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.
I think if God said to give 10% to Him, we should honor that. You may not be giving it with an open heart every time, but God wants that from you. He wouldn't have put it in the Bible if He didn't know it should be done.

Do you think that a lot of the Israelites were 100% committed every time they followed God's law? Of course not, there have been times where they probably did it begrudgingly, even though God wipes out a lot of those laws to not be done in today's world, I don't believe tithing falls into that category. We should still give 10% because God calls us to, and when God calls us to do something and we do it, we are blessed.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You being not a Prophet or an Apostle or an Angel of the church age cannot teach me the ways of GOD, for am i son of the Spirit, being led by this Angel of the church Age. Like i said: If you don't wish to tithe, fine, but don't discourage others from following the ways of GOD. You would do well, to read through the WORD of GOD and see your error, or better yet, seek the truth which is again in the earth.

malachi 4:4-6, Acts 3:19-23, Rev 10:7, Rev 18:4

I'm curious who you think the angel of this church age is? William Branham? Witness Lee?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament standard is higher than the tithe; it's 100 percent not 10 percent.
I am assuming you are referring to this passage: "Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need." Acts 2:44-45 (NKJV)

There is nothing in this verse suggesting that it is a requirement by God for every believer to do exactly as this group of believers did. The point of this is that we should come together as a family in Christ and help each other, that we should not be selfish, but generous with what we have. People can still be helpful and generous without selling everything they have.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think if God said to give 10% to Him, we should honor that. You may not be giving it with an open heart every time, but God wants that from you. He wouldn't have put it in the Bible if He didn't know it should be done.
We should use our resources in a way that is honorable to God; but where in the Bible does God command believers to give the church 10% of their gross income? Please show me where it says that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0