You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Abraham gave Melchizedek 1/10 of the spoils of war - not money from his own pocket out of obedience/gratitude to God.

It says that ..... where?
Paul says that a labourer is worthy of his hire - not that he took advantage of that; he worked as a tent maker so as to provide for himself and not be a burden on anyone.
When Jesus sent out the 12, he told them to accept hospitality from people; not demand 10% of the householders wages in return for bringing them the word of life.

You shouldn't tithe to anyone.
You talk about the undiluted word of God; God's word says that the OT tithe was always produce, taken to the temple and then eaten by the people - not forgetting the priests and the poor.
The tithe was offered to God, then eaten and enjoyed by the people who had taken it - they had a feast.

The tithe, as described and laid down in Scripture, is NEVER taught today. When Pastors talk about tithing 10%, they mean "give the church 10% of your wages". That is not taught in Scripture.

It is a Spiritual requirement, it is not a demand. I have not said it is a demand. You should never act under duress. But if you come to a Spiritual Height to understand the importance of tithing to the true Prophet, not the false ones, then you should tithe in knowledge and in free will.

And as i have already stated, until you put on your garment of immortality, in that you can no longer suffer from the systems of death and sickness and ageing, you are in a battle against death. Until you can say: O death, where is thy sting, the battle is not over. Thus every tithe is a Spoil of war.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leviticus 27:31 If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it.

It appears that you are aware of this verse. While I agree that they had to add a fifth, money was nevertheless acceptable.
If it was too far to carry or herd the tithe to Jerusalem then they could sell the tithe for money, bring the money to Jerusalem, and there buy food products for the tithe.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abraham is an Angel of the church Age. He did all that was required of him. GOD does not change. HE is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

If there is a person in the earth, operating by the authority of the higher priesthood - the Melchizedek priesthood,
nm already answered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So tithing is a religious practice that goes way back and is not exclusively tithed to agriculture.
Please show me where it was not only agricultural goods.

Jesus did say anything about the Pharisees tithing from the money that they were paid as scribes, etc. only about their tithing from their herbs.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leviticus 27:31 If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it.

It appears that you are aware of this verse. While I agree that they had to add a fifth, money was nevertheless acceptable.
I think this was not the temple tithe but the second tithe that the people ate themselves. They brought this second tithe. Then they could buy from another person or redeem their own to eat. But if they redeemed their own they had to pay the extra fifth.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, it wasn't. The only reference to money was that it had to be converted to food. All other references are to food. Even Jesus' references to the tithe were of foodstuff. There is absolutely no reference to tithing being of money. Even the references of "bring the tithe to the storehouse" are talking about food.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heard that before. God gets the first part. That means 10% of gross pay. Don't cheat God by only giving Him 10% of your paycheck after taxes are deducted. Also, the tithe is the minimum/obligatory amount. God deserves a free will offering on top of the tithe. The more you give God the more God will give you.

It's a modern business growth strategy since the average person gives less than 10% and making them walk it up let's others see how much they are giving which boosts contributions. One pastor told everyone to hold the money in the air and dance while giving. I heard another used clothes lines so everyone could see how much everyone else was giving.

What is gross income? Gross income is a fiction. You are not accountable for what you never had stewardship of.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one need tithe 10% of their gross income. No one ought to feel compelled to give any fixed proportion of their income to their denomination. If you decide to give then give whatever you want to give and give it to whoever and whatever you like.

What you have to give is enough to meet the needs of those who have less.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please show me where it was not only agricultural goods.

Jesus did say anything about the Pharisees tithing from the money that they were paid as scribes, etc. only about their tithing from their herbs.

Look up the passage about Abraham and Melchizedek where Abraham tithed (voluntarily, apparently) 10% of the spoils of a battle to Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look up the passage about Abraham and Melchizedek where Abraham tithed (voluntarily, apparently) 10% of the spoils of a battle to Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God.

Abraham did that one time and it was spoils of war. It was not the "tithe" in the sense that is trying to be applied today and it was one time. Abraham did not return to Melchizedek once a week and give him 10%.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, salvation by works is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to the church.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible really says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to the church. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church.

They will likely proceed to take certain verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give something God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.

The New Testament standard is higher than the tithe; it's 100 percent not 10 percent. It all belongs to God and if you're listening to Him, you will find He wants to use your money for His glory. That includes supporting your local church, and paying your Pastor a decent salary.

Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament standard is higher than the tithe; it's 100 percent not 10 percent. It all belongs to God and if you're listening to Him, you will find He wants to use your money for His glory. That includes supporting your local church, and paying your Pastor a decent salary.

I am sorry but it does not say a pastor gets a "decent" salary or that the pastor is the one who collects any tithe anywhere in the bible. That is what your pastor has told you over and over and over again twisting scripture to support his salary none the less.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, salvation by works is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to the church.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible really says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to the church. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to the church.

They will likely proceed to take certain verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give something God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.
Yes, the first 10% is the Lord's. I divide the 10% between the church and church-related giving (GOD TV, etc.; charitable giving; and general giving to individuals). Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a Spiritual requirement,

No, there is nowhere in the NT which says a) that Christians are required to tithe and b) that it has to be money - from your income.

I have not said it is a demand.

No, but if someone requires that you do something they are not giving you a choice in the matter. So requiring that a person give 10% is much the same as demanding that they do so.

But if you come to a Spiritual Height to understand the importance of tithing to the true Prophet, not the false ones, then you should tithe in knowledge and in free will.

Tithing 10% of your wages is not Scriptural.
Tithing to a prophet is not Scriptural - a church may not have any prophets in it anyway, which would suggest they were off the hook.
Implying that some people have greater spiritual insight, or are on a higher lever spiritually, than others is neither Scriptural, nor charitable.

And as i have already stated, until you put on your garment of immortality, in that you can no longer suffer from the systems of death and sickness and ageing, you are in a battle against death. Until you can say: O death, where is thy sting, the battle is not over. Thus every tithe is a Spoil of war.

1. We're not in a battle against death. We still die physically, but it is not the end, there is life after death and we will be raised with new bodies. Jesus gives eternal life, and makes it possible for us to not die spiritually but spend it with him. So we CAN say "O death, where is thy sting?" It's not the end; when we die, we will go to be with the Lord forever.
2. Abraham attacked a particular person, took all his possessions and gave Melchizedek 1/10. This implies that he kept the rest. For your analogy to work we would have to attack the devil, who brings death, take his possessions, give the Lord 1/10 and keep the rest.
The Lord has complete power and authority over the devil. He neither wants, or needs, 10% of the devil's possessions - and I certainly do not want the other 90%!
3. Scripture does not teach what you have said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was I supposed to be giving that 10% of gross, right off the top-every single Sunday?

Bc that's what I was doing, and I fell for the pastors telling us, "give until it hurts."

He proclaimed that we should, "give so much to the l-rd that you are in pain!"

Pastor said that we are not to worry what we shall eat or what we shall wear, for the
L-rd provides for all our needs.

So wanting to be g-dly, I did give it all in free will offerings and tithing.

One of the last times I attended this church, the portly pastor stood before the congregation and exclaimed how G-d is good!

He went on about how g-d richly blesses, abundantly blesses, those who put him first in their lives.

How sweet it is! He said. He Had so much steak and lobster last night that he almost didn't make it to church this morning! There were shouts of amen and hallelujah from the congregants.

He talked about how we shall reap what we sow and a righteous man reaps much!!

He playfully pretended to lick his fingers, saying G-d is so good to those who worship Him.

Yes, I believe G-d is good, but I don't believe we are to abuse our bodies with gluttony at all, and then boast that being obese is due to being abundantly blessed by god for being righteous.

right?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was I supposed to be giving that 10% of gross, right off the top-every single Sunday?

What you give; how much, and to whom, is between you and God.
But that's a good point, actually. Most people get paid monthly, so for those who preach tithing, the giving each week should be 10% divided by 4.

Bc that's what I was doing, and I fell for the pastors telling us, "give until it hurts."

Did they lead by example - or did they tell you to do one thing, while they did something else?

He proclaimed that we should, "give so much to the l-rd that you are in pain!"

Thus ignoring the Scripture "the Lord loves a cheerful giver".

Pastor said that we are not to worry what we shall eat or what we shall wear, for the
L-rd provides for all our needs.

But there is no Scripture which says we have to test the Lord by giving it all to the church and then expecting him to bail us out.
If the Lord had specifically told you to do that; fine. Then he would have provided everything you and your family needed. But otherwise, it's presumption. And a third person has no right to make that call.

One of the last times I attended this church, the portly pastor stood before the congregation and exclaimed how G-d is good!

He went on about how g-d richly blesses, abundantly blesses, those who put him first in their lives.

How sweet it is! He said. He Had so much steak and lobster last night that he almost didn't make it to church this morning! There were shouts of amen and hallelujah from the congregants.

Arrogance, boasting and greed are sins - did anyone tell him that?

He talked about how we shall reap what we sow and a righteous man reaps much!!

He playfully pretended to lick his fingers, saying G-d is so good to those who worship Him.

What a horrid man; I would have been out of there.

Yes, I believe G-d is good, but I don't believe we are to abuse our bodies with gluttony at all, and then boast that being obese is due to being abundantly blessed by god for being righteous.

right?

Amen!
The implication is that anyone who is poor is, or has not been, blessed by God. I think Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa etc as well as Christians in poorer countries where the church is growing - would beg to differ.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham did that one time and it was spoils of war. It was not the "tithe" in the sense that is trying to be applied today and it was one time. Abraham did not return to Melchizedek once a week and give him 10%.

It was still a tithe. Tithe means 1/10.

Where was there a weekly tithe in the Bible Crops tend to be harvested annually. Wars tend to be one-off, hopefully.

Upvote 0