Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yoga is not evil. There are numerous physical and mental benefits. It does not put distance between a person and Christ.

Why do some churches preach otherwise? Is it a lack of understand or knowledge regarding yoga?

This is another example of how close-minded people turn away possible converts by adopting ideas that have no biblical basis. Maybe I am wrong. Please explain it to me.

(I wasn't sure where to post this topic. Obviously, this will start a debate, but it is also controversial theology.)
You got the controversial bit right. Many Christians are against yoga yet you dismiss their concerns. Just making a statement does not make it true. The origins of yoga are Eastern mysticism, which is anti Christ and occult. Buddhism claims yoga as its own and so does Hinduism.

The Chakra thing is occult. Yoga is not at all compatible with Christianity. If it does not affect someone's relationship with Christ, you have to wonder how close it was in the first place.

There are plenty of exercise routines that are benign. We are encouraged to meditate on God's word, which is entirely different from yoga meditation.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Your confusing yoga for fitness and meditation with an ancient tradition of the Hindus. That tradition is called Yoga, but it is not the same as the yoga I practice at my gym, park, or church.

By your logic, we should avoid martial arts, many medicinal practices, and eating half the food popular in eastern cultures because they all once related to ancient spiritual practices. We should also avoid half the traditions of Christianity.

Cultures influence other cultures. It's going to happen. Just because something was once used to seek spiritual balance does not make it evil, nor does it make the modern incarnation of it evil.

Yoga forms have nothing to do with idol worship. It clears my mind, strengthens my body, and helps me manage anxiety. I can praise God while I'm doing it, before I do it, and after I do it.

Christians have to let go of fear. We have been set free of fear and darkness. Why hold on to it by condemning everything around us as evil? It's just setting yourself up for failure.
Martial arts have an occult component. I've shunned a lot of stuff that is questionable over the decades. I can promise you that I'm not a failure. That's because Jesus is my life. I avoid things that hinder my walk with Him. I don't fear darkness. I bring the Light everywhere I go. His name is Jesus!

Homeopathy is bad news also. Food is a different issue. It's only wrong if used in religious ceremonies.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The watered down fitness center stuff you see taught in the West has little of it. The authentic stuff over in India gets super trippy religious. People going into trances, contacting spirits, passing out, etc. Its a religious form of meditation.

Where I live, even the fitness centre stuff fully pushes the energy/ spiritualism aspects of it, and that actual aspect of it is attracting people itself. I've got many friends/ colleagues who choose Yoga, SPECIFICALLY because it mixes body health and spiritual meditation (or to them, spirit cleansing), drawing them further and further away from any connection with the God of the bible.
I think it's painfully naive to think that it's just body exercise with no spiritual aspect or impact.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yoga is not evil. There are numerous physical and mental benefits. It does not put distance between a person and Christ....

I think the key thing is what is the purpose. By what I see, it distances people from Jesus and God. And it seems it leads people to Hinduism. I would not recommend it.

Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟294,965.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
yoga [ yoh-guh ] noun (sometimes initial capital letter)
1. a school of Hindu philosophy advocating and prescribing a course of physical and mental disciplines for attaining liberation from the material world and union of the self with the Supreme Being or ultimate principle.
[...] (Definition of yoga | Dictionary.com)

So the purpose of yoga is to do the thing that we know Jesus is the only way to do, though we could discuss if we're trying to unite with the Father or not

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It IS the Controversial Christian Theology sub-forum, after all.

But I don't think it is so controversial for anyone who has read Acts of the Apostles 19:11-20.
For clarity , post the words/ text - it does not render on the screen/ nor on many cell phones as noted by others over the last few years. (it surprised me how many are accessing the internet/this forum/ by cell phone... and the apps/ rendering Scripture references often are non-existent or very difficult...

so it always helps with short passages (and some long ones) to post the actual words....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think the key thing is what is the purpose. By what I see, it distances people from Jesus and God. And it seems it leads people to Hinduism. I would not recommend it.
Not consciously, perhaps - but I never thought to ask if those who practice it ever think Hinduism Peace is okay ?
Since the root is evil spiritually, it cannot bear good fruit, regardless of someone's intentions.

If a thorn plant is planted in a garden, it grows thorns, not good fruit or flowers..... or with fruit and flowers? but thorns in any case --- what is the root, proceeds to grow as what it is.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The possible physical benefits do not outweigh the spiritual source and harm.
Please explain what spiritual source and harm a child of God must fear. I thought God was all powerful and all knowing.....God for me is more than a world against me......In His arms there was complete safety. But maybe you can convince me otherwise. Please tell me who/what else i need to fear while in the hands of God...... Who is more powerful than Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If anyone trusts the enemy, the trust of Jesus is not in them.
Whoever trusts Jesus, has life.
Whoever trusts not Jesus, has not life.
However is given to the Son, no stretching in powerful enough to take from His hands. How is it that would entertain the possibility that something false and steal the truth.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
However is given to the Son, no stretching in powerful enough to take from His hands. How is it that would entertain the possibility that something false and steal the truth.
huh?
Free will is not taken away from a person in this life.
To reject Jesus , to walk away from Jesus, to walk in darkness is permitted if a person chooses to do so.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
huh?
Free will is not taken away from a person in this life.
To reject Jesus , to walk away from Jesus, to walk in darkness is permitted if a person chooses to do so.
No one walks away from Jesus. You can walk away from and image of Him, a religion.... But not Jesus....no court can grant divorce paper from this bridegroom.

And I understand if you do not understand this.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
drawing them further and further away from any connection with the God of the bible.
I think it's painfully naive to think that it's just body exercise with no spiritual aspect or impact.
Do you know of any exercises or thought patterns that can, when taught, trick one into following and getting closer to your God without there knowledge or desire? Are you able to contemplate an exercise class that has methods, rooted in Christianity, that would gradually get unlearned patrons under control of the Spirit of God?

Or is this a power and method that only other gods are successful in using?

• Useful
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟909,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yoga is not evil. There are numerous physical and mental benefits. It does not put distance between a person and Christ.

Why do some churches preach otherwise? Is it a lack of understand or knowledge regarding yoga?

This is another example of how close-minded people turn away possible converts by adopting ideas that have no biblical basis. Maybe I am wrong. Please explain it to me.

(I wasn't sure where to post this topic. Obviously, this will start a debate, but it is also controversial theology.)
Back in late 70's I was involved in Transcendental Meditation. I experienced the kundalini spirit. I became born again in the early 80's and was delivered. Then in the early 2000's I decided to pick up Yoga. I did not think there was anything wrong with it however my spirit was unsettled. I also experience migraine headaches, nausea, dizziness and lost interest all together in exercise. I ended my sessions and all went back to normal. I said my last "namaste" and will never participate again. Ignorance will not protect you since your post is reaching out for the truth. Below is the truth.

"Namaste is usually spoken with a slight bow and hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. This gesture is called Añjali Mudrā; the standing posture incorporating it is Pranamasana. In Hinduism, it means "I bow to the divine in you"."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I disagree. Although it may be the physical motion that does help the body.. The foundation of Yoga is not just the physical positions and stretches...

One must be careful when venturing into these areas of other religions.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think that's what it is, I think people often get the idea that yoga is about opening yourself up to spiritual influences, or something like that, rather than what it actually is, a discipline of body and mind.
Why do you need "Yoga" for discipline of your mind? That is exactly the part that is dangerous.

If you want to stretch and contort in ways that benefit your limbs and joints... that's one thing.. It has nothing to do with your mind..

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yoga seems all about self. Think about it, our culture has a bunch of "self help", "the power is within" philosophies floating around with tons of books that frankly have been misleading people down the wrong path. When you focus on yourself too much, you'll get depressed. Actually a famous psychoanalyst was asked this question: " If you were so depressed and could not snap out of it, what would you do?" He said that he would go out and help someone and when he was done, He would find someone else to help. That gets the focus off you and the depression or stress begins to fade and disappear.
In Eastern thought and religion it's all about the power within you and that you need to tap into it to find inner peace. Jesus gives a us peace, not the peace that the world offers ...or yoga.
But let's go back 150 years to a time when the USA was growing, everyone was working towards building towns, their own homes, farming, hunting, trading - all pioneers, rough and tough cowboys. Lets say a Yogi came along and attracted some souls, influenced them to join him. Kids gathered around, started doing these exercises, came home and started to practice. "Mom and Dad, I need to decompress, It's releaving me from stress ... I'll need some extra time during the day alone in my sanctuary to do this." THE Dad looks at the Mom disturbed, then back at the kid and says, " Fat chance grasshopper, get off your butt and do your chores! Chores will naturally stretch the body and exercise it adequately - get to work or don't eat!" :ebil:
God wants us to work and also enjoy life. He doesn't want us to get self focused, searching within ourselves, He wants us to die to self. There is so much junk inside that's it's best to get off of yourself and focus on things above. He doesn't want us to empty our minds, He wants us to be transformed by His Word.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you need "Yoga" for discipline of your mind? That is exactly the part that is dangerous.

If you want to stretch and contort in ways that benefit your limbs and joints... that's one thing.. It has nothing to do with your mind..

Well if you look it ‘up’ Jacks then you’ll soon have it ‘down’ that there are many types of yoga, and not all to do with physical exercise.

• Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0