Yoga - It's Not Evil or Anti-Christian

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It can be (isn't always), depending on the individual, by leading someone (that isn't truly relying fully on Christ) into a new direction where they begin to learn more and more from Indian Gurus. This is just fact, in my view, because when I was exploring a very wide variety of traditions and ways to live in my 20s and 30s, I did meet some people that took me to Yoga events where the main emphasis was on the guru and his teachings and techniques and ways to understand life and the way to live. Of course, as Christians, we can learn that we have a better "way" to live, the ways of God through Christ.

Does it replace God or its spiritual adultrey itself?

A person bowing to a statue or doing the occult is spiritual adultrey itself.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,166,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does it replace God or its spiritual adultrey itself?

A person bowing to a statue or doing the occult is spiritual adultrey itself.
In those days I was very astray, and I tried out what the guru's taught (along with about 20 other traditions, ways to live). Many of these wide variety of things did have benefits, though the benefits were often simply what you'd get through any good meditation technique, though they had all sorts of extra claims, etc.. Meditation anyone can do for free of course by just taking 30m or an hour to just stare at the clouds or the trees and forget the world. The physical stretching, sweat lodges, cold water showers, etc., ad infintum, are just some of the many ways people can improve their physical health as compared to being stressed out with ordinary work life.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟286,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can be (isn't always), depending on the individual, by leading someone (that isn't truly relying fully on Christ) into a new direction where they begin to learn more and more from Indian Gurus. .

There have been Christian cults also. Would we then say Christianity is dangerous?
I just think we all need to be careful. Careful also of becoming superstitious about our own beliefs.

• Friendly
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
still think it's a bit dodgy
It seems that if a person is doing yoga as a stretching exercise, it is probably harmless. But it opens a door to other forms of yoga that involve meditation and spiritual explorations. There may be a place to draw a line between what is beneficial physically and what is harmful spiritually. Stretching exercises would probably be good for me. But I have ruled out yoga due to the spiritual danger. I don't want to give anyone else the green light to go down that path. I wish I knew more about it. Maybe I need to re-read this topic. Seems that the OP was in favor of yoga. But I don't recall anything but polarization and arguing back and forth. Could have been an educational opportunity. A way to make an informed choice. What do you think?
cc: @Thomas White

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
--Clarifying Addendum--

I am referring to yoga in the form of exercises that consist of stretching, breathing exercises, and meditation.

I do not mean Yoga, a part of the Hindu faith that encourages a person to use yoga exercises to find enlightenment and unification with the "Divine."

The two different practices are not the same.
Explain the breathing exercises and meditation aspect. Thanks.

Also wonder about the origin of the names given to the poses. I also looked into Tai Chi at one point. Same issues.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟294,345.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems that if a person is doing yoga as a stretching exercise, it is probably harmless. But it opens a door to other forms of yoga that involve meditation and spiritual explorations. There may be a place to draw a line between what is beneficial physically and what is harmful spiritually. Stretching exercises would probably be good for me. But I have ruled out yoga due to the spiritual danger. I don't want to give anyone else the green light to go down that path. I wish I knew more about it. Maybe I need to re-read this topic. Seems that the OP was in favor of yoga. But I don't recall anything but polarization and arguing back and forth. Could have been an educational opportunity. A way to make an informed choice. What do you think?
cc: @Thomas White

yeah I just cant get past that you put your hands in a prayer position in several of the poses but it's not to the One True God.
sun salutations are not to God.
it's just not good in my opinion even using it for stretching for me personally I just cant do it. it doesnt seem ok.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yeah I just cant get past that you put your hands in a prayer position in several of the poses but it's not to the One True God.
sun salutations are not to God.
it's just not good in my opinion even using it for stretching for me personally I just cant do it. it doesnt seem ok.
But are they actually praying to a god, or is it just a hand position to optimize stretching?

Jumping to conclusions about what you think might be going on isn't helpful. That's fine if you are uncomfortable with it, but it doesn't seem okay to make up false accusations about it.

Are "sun salutations" actually a part of the routine? That certainly raises some questions. What else are they up to?

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟294,345.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But are they actually praying to a god, or is it just a hand position to optimize stretching?

Jumping to conclusions about what you think might be going on isn't helpful. That's fine if you are uncomfortable with it, but it doesn't seem okay to make up false accusations about it.

Are "sun salutations" actually a part of the routine? That certainly raises some questions. What else are they up to?

I'd rather do normal stretching than have the uncomfortable feeling i get in yoga classes which to me is conviction of the Holy Spirit.

I have tried yoga classes hoping i'd be able to do them, not bringing my hands to a prayer pose as that is only for God, even leaving early before the guided meditation part at the end of the class (as that was something I definitely did not want to do) trying to make it work with being a Christian, but even with making those allowances i couldnt shake that discomfort in my spirit.

Pilates is much better I dont get that uncomfortable feeling and can do that with a clear conscience before God. designed originally to rehabilitate ballet dancers it is a very good workout and strengthening.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather do normal stretching than have the uncomfortable feeling i get in yoga classes which to me is conviction of the Holy Spirit.

I have tried yoga classes hoping i'd be able to do them, not bringing my hands to a prayer pose as that is only for God, even leaving early before the guided meditation part at the end of the class (as that was something I definitely did not want to do) trying to make it work with being a Christian, but even with making those allowances i couldnt shake that discomfort in my spirit.

Pilates is much better I dont get that uncomfortable feeling and can do that with a clear conscience before God. designed originally to rehabilitate ballet dancers it is a very good workout and strengthening.
This is helpful information. Thanks.

I have never been to a yoga class, or even to a membership type gym. The guided meditation aspect certainly raises some questions.

Could you walk me through what happens in a class like that, step by step? How does it begin? And what transpires? I know in martial arts classes they have you bow to the master when you enter the dojo. (defined as: place of the Way) That's a flag right there. They are offering a Way (capital W) other than Jesus.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟294,345.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is helpful information. Thanks.

I have never been to a yoga class, or even to a membership type gym. The guided meditation aspect certainly raises some questions.

Could you walk me through what happens in a class like that, step by step? How does it begin? And what transpires? I know in martial arts classes they have you bow to the master when you enter the dojo. (defined as: place of the Way) That's a flag right there. They are offering a Way (capital W) other than Jesus.

every place that takes yoga is probably different. I went to classes at a gym not a yoga studio. it probably depends on the yoga instructor as well as to how they run the classes.

the ones I went to didnt bow at the beginning of classes just ran through a few sun salutations to warm up. that was a string of poses put together and repeated.
Surya Namaskar - Wikipedia

then more intense exercises (just more poses put together in sequence but got the heart rate up and were quite difficult and faster by comparison). then a whole bunch of stomach/back focused exercises more like pilates. then balance exercises (standing on one foot and moving through a sequence of poses). then warm down exercises which was another sequence of poses repeated. then the guided meditation.
the last time when I tried to leave quietly before the guided meditation the instructor said 'you're missing out on the best part' and I thought I just cant do this any more. up til then there had been no pressure to stay but it felt like there would be and the instructors were nice people I didnt want to offend them as well as it not being something that I felt comfortable with anyway. hope that helps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
every place that takes yoga is probably different. I went to classes at a gym not a yoga studio. it probably depends on the yoga instructor as well as to how they run the classes.

the ones I went to didnt bow at the beginning of classes just ran through a few sun salutations to warm up. that was a string of poses put together and repeated.
Surya Namaskar - Wikipedia

then more intense exercises (just more poses put together in sequence but got the heart rate up and were quite difficult and faster by comparison). then a whole bunch of stomach/back focused exercises more like pilates. then balance exercises (standing on one foot and moving through a sequence of poses). then warm down exercises which was another sequence of poses repeated. then the guided meditation.
the last time when I tried to leave quietly before the guided meditation the instructor said 'you're missing out on the best part' and I thought I just cant do this any more. up til then there had been no pressure to stay but it felt like there would be and the instructors were nice people I didnt want to offend them as well as it not being something that I felt comfortable with anyway. hope that helps.
Thanks. This is extremely helpful.

That link reveals the spiritual/religious implications very clearly. This is obviously a dangerous practice. I agree with your concerns regarding even this basic yoga. This is the sort of discussion that should happen on this topic.

Perhaps @Thomas White will answer to these charges? Any rebuttal would be valuable to consider as well. (to hear both sides) However, the link you provided makes it abundantly clear where the problem is with yoga. (with a small g)

Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0