Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone is pretty much set on the opinion that this is tasteless. I doubt anyone is cheering them on.

Have you seen the photos of the defilement of Jesus, Mary and Buddha at the Folsom Street Fair? See what vendors there sold? The ad, I agree, is tasteless. But no big deal. What is a big deal and what is not being reported (probably because it is too offensive to mention) are the other attacks on faith at this event.

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have you seen the photos of the defilement of Jesus, Mary and Buddha at the Folsom Street Fair? See what vendors there sold? The ad, I agree, is tasteless. But no big deal. What is a big deal and what is not being reported (probably because it is too offensive to mention) are the other attacks on faith at this event.

What other attacks on faith? I doubt you have ever been to the Folsom Street fair so I am sure your opinion is based on hearsay and a small group of selected photos. So, what are these 'attacks' you speak of?

BTW - There is nothing wrong with poking fun at anyone's faith. Furthermore, if you believe in the 'One True God', certainly your faith could not be daunted by people in leather.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I see it as an attack on the Church, big difference.

Attack on faith, I understand. Attack on the Church, when they've attacked and oppressed them for so long, I welcome it.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This goes beyond attacking the church. What was peddled by vendors at this event is on a whole 'nuther level.
uhuh. Why not just ignore them if it bothers you so? Or do you think the wares they peddle can actually snatch a person of faith away from our savior? They're not that strong and He is not that weak.

Upvote 0

thenewageriseth

Stranger in my town, commoner in my realm
Apr 28, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
✟27,180.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
'Last Supper' Gay Ad Called Worst Anti-Christian Bigotry

Randy Hall

Staff Writer/Editor

(CNSNews.com) - An advertisement portraying Christ and his disciples as half-naked sado-masochists to promote a homosexual event this weekend in San Francisco continued to draw fire from Christian organizations...

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/11555188/

Such increasing 'spirit of antichrist' forecast for this climax generation of all history in both 2 Thessalonians 2 & 2 Tim 3 www.BibleGateway.org

See also Romans 1:18-32

Ian
Yeah, that's not too nice...O_<;

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
This goes beyond attacking the church. What was peddled by vendors at this event is on a whole 'nuther level.
Explain please.

I'd like to know, because to me, this ad is just distasteful and annoying at worst.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Please explain to us why people who don't find your symbols sacred should respect them.

It's called being civilzed.

The law ought not to require such respect, for freedom of speech and freedom of expression are necessary to free society.

But to be so inanely provocative as this ad is does not tranish the reputation of the Last Supper so much as it tarnishes the reputation of the gay movement itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The law ought not to require such respect, for freedom of speech and freedom of expression are necessary to free society.

But to be so inanely provocative as this ad is does not tranish the reputation of the Last Supper so much as it tarnishes the reputation of the gay movement itself.

So were the reputations of the Soprano's and the Simpson's equally tarnished? And why was there no controversy?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Huh. This is "the worst anti-Christian ad ever." In other words, running an ad promoting a fair in Sa n Francisco that is something scandalously over-the-top as a parody of a famous painting on a Christian theme, is far worse than the misrepresentation of Christians as blood-drinking cannibal atheists that was circulated in the first three centuries by the powers that were among the pagan establishment.

Don't get me wrong, the ad does disgust me. S&M behavior is completely contrary to the principles of Christian love. Redoing Leonardo's painting as an S&M parody is basically tacky.

But this sort of indignant self-righteous claim of persecution where merely offensive behavior exists is not helping the Christian cause. Rather, it's making us look like vicious hatemongers to those we should be trying to reach. We're coming across, not as those who stoically endure torture for Christ's sake, but as the small child in the back seat calling out, "Mommy! Billy's touching me!" in an effort to try to make trouble for our brother.

Jesus himself engaged in hyperbole.

When so-called artists creates thier images of Christ and Mary soaked in filth and human excrement, and the only reaction from Christians is an oh-so-polite oh-so-liberal "Tsk-Tsk !", people both within and without the faith will very soon assume that Christians do not much care about their sacred symbols at all.

When children turn into teenagers and learn that the faith is not as they believed when they were a child, the churches empty quickly.
This constant ridicule and demeaning of the faith over the past century has been more effective in killing the faith than the Romans persecutions of the first three centuries.

Riots, no, but for those who still believe, outrage and a more than little hyperbole are the correct response.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

So you respect the symbols of Scientology?

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since when is the Last Supper painting a sacred object? What role, exactly, does it play in worship? Silly me, I just thought it was a famous painting by da Vinci. It certainly was never a part of our worship services in the church I grew up in.

Many christians are idolaters, apparently you just met one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I find that ad rather unpleasant to look at. But other people might think it's great art.

Someone remind me why this is more important than helping the needy?

Because it's hard to help the needy, and much easier to whine about what someone else is doing.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So you respect the symbols of Scientology?
I don't take a dump on the symbols of scientology.

It's called trying to get along. It's not absolute. There are times when satire and criticism are the best response.

as often as not though, it is just tacky, mindless nihilism and lack of values that we are dealing with though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.