Will you marry for financial stability/money?

Calvinator

It's midnight and I'm sound asleep
Nov 13, 2012
✟788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think RedBlue and MissSpaulding both have points.

Keeping up with some domestic housework isn't a big deal if you don't have kids.

Looking after little ones changes the whole dynamic though. Not only do they create messes which equals extra stuff to clean up, when they are little they need a lot of minding, which eats into time to do that domestic work. Even when they get older and go to school, there's still the matter of helping with homework, taking them to sports events, taking time out to listen to their issues, problems, and achievements and so on.

Upvote 0

wholigan11

Jun 21, 2012
✟8,267.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Will you marry for financial stability/money?I was talking to one of my friend, and she said the whole point for getting marry is to be financially stable. She said ,when she gets marry the guy has to be rich. Are some young women these days getting marry for the wrong reason.As for me, I am not impressed by material things and money.

I wouldn't marry for money. Money can't buy you happiness.

However, I would think it would be a good idea to talk it out on who should handle the money and at least find someone who won't blow all of his or her money. That'll lead to problems.

Overall, you should marry for love.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will you marry for financial stability/money?I was talking to one of my friend, and she said the whole point for getting marry is to be financially stable. She said ,when she gets marry the guy has to be rich. Are some young women these days getting marry for the wrong reason.As for me, I am not impressed by material things and money.

Certainly not. I am not spending my whole life stuck in an unfulfilling marraige because he bought me nice things but other then that we don't get along or have anything in common and it feels like I'm just going through the motions.
I will sooner adopt a baby as a solo parent if I'm pushing 40 with no prospect of marriage or family planning happening naturally.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
one option was not considered in this thread.

what if your future man or woman was passionate about something that did not bring in much money? for example, some people desire to be writers, artists, open air evangelists, unpaid pastors, etc.

I have known many artists and writers who gave up degrees and jobs in order to work on their craft. some work as part time janitors or at small groceries just to get by. They prefer to work on paintings and poems.

while we're at it, another group left out are those with disabilities. some people simply cannot work. they might receive a small amount from the government but nothing close to full time.

the people I am describing are not lazy, they are passionate and driven. They simply will in all likelihood never make much money. Would you drop them as well? maybe it isn't about all these noble reasons. maybe we really are just about the money afterall?

Upvote 0

brohammer26

Jan 30, 2012
✟8,375.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think there are a lot of young ladies out there that look for a guy that has money. It is almost ingrained into them. It is a dealbreaker for me if a girl starts to ask what I make.
I am financially stable and have goals and ambitions and will constantly be moving foward, I want someone who is like that as well and doesnt expect everything just because they are pretty. I agree with others that an ideal partner is someone who you actually love/respect and vice versa..work together through life to benefit both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

andrew8806

Nov 24, 2010
Dallas, TX, USA
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. ~Matthew 6:19-21

10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. ~1 Timothy 6:10

6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. ~Philippians 4:6

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. ~Matthew 6:25-34

7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. ~1 Peter 5:7

7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:7

28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” ~Matthew 11:28-30

I hope these bible verses give you some insights to why allowing the enemy to win is not the answer. God knows what you need and he can give you everything you want. I pray you find God's Will and pray for Him to reveal it to you. Then you won't have to worry about money or security because God is the ultimate provider.

Upvote 0

jcyami27

Jul 28, 2008
South Sulawesi
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My money is God's money, if she has a problem with that it's her problem. And I feel the same about her money. But she does need to be stable as in doesn't bounce checks and have uncontrolled spending habits. It's not our money it's His.

I agree. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jcyami27

Jul 28, 2008
South Sulawesi
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't marry for money. Money can't buy you happiness.

However, I would think it would be a good idea to talk it out on who should handle the money and at least find someone who won't blow all of his or her money. That'll lead to problems.

Overall, you should marry for love.

I agree with that too! :thumbsup:

As a working woman, I learned to be independent, especially in terms of money. though I'm not rich, does not mean I want my future husband is a wealthy man with money.

Of course, a man should be responsible to his family if he later married. But the basis of our marriage as God's children, it should be different from the standard world.

Love is a strong foundation, but of course, that love must be based on equivalence of the same faith and hope.

if you love someone, you would have given anything to him to prove it, I mean, it's automatically. If we love, definitely willing to give it is natural (not just money, but time, energy, thoughts, etc.).

We are all lucky, as the perfect example in terms of love, we can learn from our Lord himself. He gives away his all, because He loves us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Few thoughts...

1. Things like stability, security, etc...are to be OFFSHOOT BENEFITS of being married, and not THE reason for getting married to someone.

2. Your Friend is a bit superficial in her quests for wanting to be married. Many people start off getting married and experiencing a rather cushy finanical position...only for it to turn later on in the marriage for a plethera of reasons (chronic sicknesses, loss of job, car accidents rendering one unable to work, lawsuits , bad investments, et al) . Whats going to happen to the person who has placed SO much importance on money then ? Divorce and seek someone else ? Money offers no guarantees and it is foolish to marry someone for life because its there initially.

3. It is valid to choose a marital partner who is responsible with handling money, paying bills on time, wisely investing it, saving it, carefully spending it, etc.... and both people should have this kind of maturity concerning the issue.

4. I personally wouldnt marry a person who is just looking for a financial 'savior' in me or to get them out of the house, or, from a poor financial condition ; instead, I would expect the person to first alter their attitudes and actions concerning money before I would deem them fit for marriage. I know of a 60 year old divorced woman who is living with her 84 year old Mother because she cant stand on her own two feet and wants to get married almost solely to better her living situation ; in fact she is so desperate to do so that she will be marrying a Guy after just 2 months from meeting him. Wanting to get married for this reason is immature, superficial, a poor motive., and shows lack of character and intregrity.

Here is THE best book ive ever read on the subject of objectively and carefully choosing the correct marital partner , hands down ; get your Friend a used copy for $.01 plus shipping : http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Love-...sr=1-1&keywords=Finding+the+love+of+your+life

Im afraid that our materialistic American Society has done alot to fool people into money offering security. Huge winners of the Lottery often prove this point well --- they often blow thru their winnings / have Moochers constantly seeking them / and-or place themselves in constant physical harm from wrongdoers .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Few thoughts...

1. Things like stability, security, etc...are to be OFFSHOOT BENEFITS of being married, and not THE reason for getting married to someone.

2. Your Friend is a bit superficial in her quests for wanting to be married. Many people start off getting married and experiencing a rather cushy finanical position...only for it to turn later on in the marriage for a plethera of reasons (chronic sicknesses, loss of job, car accidents rendering one unable to work, lawsuits , bad investments, et al) . Whats going to happen to the person who has placed SO much importance on money then ? Divorce and seek someone else ? Money offers no guarantees and it is foolish to marry someone for life because its there initially.

3. It is valid to choose a marital partner who is responsible with handling money, paying bills on time, wisely investing it, saving it, carefully spending it, etc.... and both people should have this kind of maturity concerning the issue.

4. I personally wouldnt marry a person who is just looking for a financial 'savior' in me or to get them out of the house, or, from a poor financial condition ; instead, I would expect the person to first alter their attitudes and actions concerning money before I would deem them fit for marriage. I know of a 60 year old divorced woman who is living with her 84 year old Mother because she cant stand on her own two feet and wants to get married almost solely to better her living situation ; in fact she is so desperate to do so that she will be marrying a Guy after just 2 months from meeting him. Wanting to get married for this reason is immature, superficial, a poor motive., and shows lack of character and intregrity.

Here is THE best book ive ever read on the subject of objectively and carefully choosing the correct marital partner , hands down ; get your Friend a used copy for $.01 plus shipping : Amazon.com: Finding the Love of Your Life: Neil Warren: Books

Im afraid that our materialistic American Society has done alot to fool people into money offering security. Huge winners of the Lottery often prove this point well --- they often blow thru their winnings / have Moochers constantly seeking them / and-or place themselves in constant physical harm from wrongdoers .

Well said. Good thoughts. I see things similarly. If somebody wants to use me, rather than love me for who I am, then she isn't the one I'm looking for. Not that I wouldn't date or marry someone who has less, but it would have to be clear that our relationship is built on something more personally meaningful. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, it isn't love.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
when I marry I want to be so poor that we are stealing keychup packets from McD's.

The idea is to have enough money in a marriage....and not marry someone solely or mostly because they have excess money --- that is immature and superficial and doesnt come with a gaurantee that it will always be that way. Marry for good solid objective reasons...and most of all because you prayed earnestly to Christ for the right Partner, that your marriage will be very honorable to him and will serve him well, and that Christ didnt give you any red flags during the Courtship which wasnt paid attention to ; having premarital sex will greatly diminish seeing the red flags so stay pure and of a good sound Mind .

Upvote 0