Will you marry for financial stability/money?

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My money is God's money, if she has a problem with that it's her problem. And I feel the same about her money. But she does need to be stable as in doesn't bounce checks and have uncontrolled spending habits. It's not our money it's His.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

PetLuv

CrazyVille, population: You
Feb 12, 2006
LaLa Land
✟11,575.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much this :thumbsup:. I also plan on working for as long as possible. Not sure I want to work if kids come into the picture, but that will be between me and him. Plus, I didn't get my master's to have somebody else take over that debt :doh:.
A good point that I failed to think of originally, I personally would love to be a stay at home mom so that likely weighs on my opinion of his maturity with finances as well.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

Difficult question.

Would I reject a guy based solely on his job? Yes, because it demonstrates his level of motivation/ambition in life. If he has low motivation, then I won't want to date him, much less marry him.

So basically my answer is that I'm not looking for a sugar daddy, but I want someone who is motivated and ambitious (a self-made man).

I don't want to struggle with poverty because being poor is not fun and I don't want someone who is lazy.

Not the best way to give a guy a yes or no in this economy - working a low-end job doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the motivation/ambition to aim higher; it could mean the guy's doing what he can for now until the jobs crisis eases up. But good luck with this; I hope it works out.

Reactions: tahoe
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As if I would be with some money-loving woman who dreams to sit on her lazy butt getting fat and says she might get a job if it were more fun than watching tv and talking on the phone to some other lazy sponge friend of hers. I'm sure there are a bunch of brainwashed conservative Christian guys who will be happy to pick up the tab though. Then when she fools around he will wonder why she didn't love and respect him when he didn't respect himself enough to ditch the gold digger.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The women I've fallen for over the years were all well to do and wanted to see me succeed more than anything else, I don't know what I would have done without them raising me to have the high self-esteem I do now. They're the lights of my life and I love them so much...what you said reminds me of them.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Would I reject a girl based solely on her job? Yes, because it demonstrates her level of motivation/ambition in life. If she has low motivation, then I won't want to date her, much less marry her.

I want someone who is motivated and ambitious (a self-made woman). I don't want to struggle with poverty because being poor is not fun and I don't want someone who is lazy.

VERY funny....but my main point is motivation/ambition plays a big role.

And for the record, this goes for both men and women. Equal opportunity on the gender card.

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not the best way to give a guy a yes or no in this economy - working a low-end job doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the motivation/ambition to aim higher; it could mean the guy's doing what he can for now until the jobs crisis eases up. But good luck with this; I hope it works out.

I understand you toasty so much!

I respect a man who works hard and even if its just what he can do at the moment. In my family there are a lot of hard working men who don't make a lot of money but they work very hard to take care of their families.
I want to be with someone where we can support each other and raise a family, even if we are struggling I rather be by someone side in the good and bad.

Reactions: tahoe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No, I can make myself financially stable and earn my own money. I don't need or want a man for that. I want a man for companionship and I would not even allow him to provide for me unless I'm somehow rendered unable to work or would be homeless if somebody didn't.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Isn't there always a job crisis in the U.S.? That is not an excuse to not have goals in life.

My sister briefly dated a coal miner. She really liked him, but she readily agreed with me when I told her that he wasn't an appropriate match (based on their differences in education/socioeconomic background/occupation). Sure, a girl or guy can go slumming if they want, but if you think a good marriage will be made from it, then you are delusional. Large disparities between partners will usually led to marital problems down the road.

Note: I have nothing against coal miners. My great-grandfather mined coal for a living. I am merely stating what can be backed up with statistics regarding marriage. Additionally, I interned with a Family Court Judge so I know the red flags for divorce.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just make sure you're pretty enough to get a high earner...

This may sound old fashioned, but I would have a hard time if my wife made significantly more money than I did. I hope to someday make more than enough money for myself. I'd love to be able to spoil my wife and give her the easy life.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't there always a job crisis in the U.S.? That is not an excuse to not have goals in life.

My sister briefly dated a coal miner. She really liked him, but she readily agreed with me when I told her that he wasn't an appropriate match (based on their differences in education/socioeconomic background/occupation). Sure, a girl or guy can go slumming if they want, but if you think a good marriage will be made from it, then you are delusional. Large disparities between partners will usually led to marital problems down the road.

Note: I have nothing against coal miners. My great-grandfather mined coal for a living. I am merely stating what can be backed up with statistics regarding marriage. Additionally, I interned with a Family Court Judge so I know the red flags for divorce.

ah yes, slumming.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I thank to the high Heavens God doesn't see us this way. I was a poor boy, from a poor family...Mama Mia, Mama Mia...

Anyway haha I gained so much respect from a lot of wealthy and influential people because I was both genuine and filled with His grace. They also respected me because the weak-minded search for others to pay their way. I believe in Egalitarianism, and that no matter where you come from you can reach the sun through the concrete, as it were :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tahoe

Oct 21, 2012
Ohio
✟8,367.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

IDK Neve, total honesty here; I'd rather marry a guy who works at a gas station - that is sound of character and has integrity than marry a guy for his bank account. Chalk it up to different values I guess?

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
IDK Neve, total honesty here; I'd rather marry a guy who works at a gas station - that is sound of character and has integrity than marry a guy for his bank account. Chalk it up to different values I guess?

Why do you assume that a man with money or motivation has no character or integrity?

I've met lots of wealthy guys who are honest and hardworking (and I've met wealthy guys who are unscrupulous).

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why do you assume that a man with money or motivation has no character or integrity?

I've met lots of wealthy guys who are honest and hardworking (and I've met wealthy guys who are unscrupulous).

Probably the same reason you assume those without money aren't rich haha

Upvote 0