Will you marry for financial stability/money?

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Will you marry for financial stability/money?I was talking to one of my friend, and she said the whole point for getting marry is to be financially stable. She said ,when she gets marry the guy has to be rich. Are some young women these days getting marry for the wrong reason.As for me, I am not impressed by material things and money.

Do yourself a favor and never listen to your friend's advice on marriage/love, okay? :thumbsup: (<--- I'm being serious, not poking fun)

To answer the question: NO. I would never marry for financial stability.

Upvote 0

Timyone

May 15, 2006
sydney
✟9,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"slumming" = marrying someone who is marrying you for money.

oh ok, I was ready to add that I probably wouldn't be interested in dating Neve based on this thread, but I thought the word meant some thing else! SO I won't comment now, as I am unsure what vibe I got from that whole conversation there.

This is an interesting topic, that covers a few conversations for me. It is interesting here in Sydney, that I have several times seen girls looked down on for not caring about a career, and wanting to just start a family or what ever. I am sure that in the past this wouldn't have been a problem, and it is an interesting paradigm shift that may not be totally healthy! but yeah, I don't know if I would care if a girl worked or not, though I am a nurse, and am not sure exactly how easily I could support a family off my pay (well unless I want to climb the ranks like my little brother does).

I have dated Dr's and other people who earned a whole heap more than me, and wondered about the whole fact of them earning so much money, I didn't find myself more likely to want to marry them because of it (one girl who actually owned a car that was more than double my yearly pay!).

I have read that people are likely to marry similar to their social class and factors like this.

I think this is all a very different conversation for the guys and the girls, as it is a different thing in this society for a guy to be married to some one richer and/or smarter than them, than it is for a girl. I actually heard that domestic violence is higher in cases where the wife is smarter, and or the more successful in business in the relationship.

When looking at who gets a university degree, I hear that you are more likely to get one if your parents get one, so I don't know exactly what it always says about some one for them to have a degree, and to have the job that came from that. Movies like good will hunting etc.., are good for looking at these sorts of ideas about people.

Sorry about how broken up and hard to read this post is, it should really just be a point form answer, ready to be turned into an answer.

Upvote 0

Ariadne_GR

Creative Writer
Dec 10, 2010
Freedom
✟16,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Labor
Difficult question.

Would I reject a guy based solely on his job? Yes, because it demonstrates his level of motivation/ambition in life. If he has low motivation, then I won't want to date him, much less marry him.

So basically my answer is that I'm not looking for a sugar daddy, but I want someone who is motivated and ambitious (a self-made man).

I don't want to struggle with poverty because being poor is not fun and I don't want someone who is lazy.

This. :thumbsup:

He'd have to be in the general ballpark of being educated and having a good job. I have studied/worked hard all these years and will continue to, probably after retirement age. I need to be with someone who has ambitions and drive to succeed too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Blind post:

I won't marry for anything but love. That said, a man being financially stable is important to me. He doesn't have to be Richie Rich, and I get that hard times happen. However, I'm not going to be with a bum who wants me to support him.

I don't want to be with a bum who expects me to support her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to be with a bum who expects me to support her.

I can't tell if this is one of your usual wisecracks, or if you're serious. If you're serious, does this mean you're not particularly in favor of wives/mothers who stay home to keep house?

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I will marry only because I want to spend my life with the woman I marry because I love her and nothing more, would better stability be nice? YES. Is it a reason to marry? NO.

What if the person you marry gets injured and can't work (legitimately cant work) and becomes a burden, if you married for stability do you divorce them because it is no longer convenient and are now burdened and worse than you were before your marriage of convenience?

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't tell if this is one of your usual wisecracks, or if you're serious. If you're serious, does this mean you're not particularly in favor of wives/mothers who stay home to keep house?

Do you really think there is soooo much work to do around a house that it even comes close to working a full time job?

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. And considering that I prefer to have just enough money to be independent over having a "stable career" in which I have to answer to people other than my customers, any woman who wants to be with me had better not plan on that, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you really think there is soooo much work to do around a house that it even comes close to working a full time job?

Hm. I think I might have opened up a can of worms here.

Any man who believes 'keeping house' isn't work has no idea what he's talking about, and I mean that. Now, I can kind of see where you and any other males are coming from when it's just the 'little woman' at home, but when it's the 'little woman' plus several children...lol...yeah, I'd LOVE to see you or any other guy hold down the fort with several children in tow for an entire week. *I'm not saying you'd never get through it, but I am saying you'd never be able to do it and say that it was not work.

There's no such thing as 'idle time' at home because there is always something that needs to be done, cleaned up and taken care of. If it doesn't get done, then that's due to laziness (which there's an epidemic of amongst today's married women).

You must have this vision of 'keeping house' as nothing more than making the bed and throwing a single load of laundry in the wash/dryer. All the rest of the day is spent with our feet propped up watching soaps on TV and eating bon bons. (<-- Actually, like I said before, there's an epidemic of laziness amongst today's married women, so this is not far from the truth)

Last edited:
Reactions: wannaberocker
Upvote 0

PetLuv

CrazyVille, population: You
Feb 12, 2006
LaLa Land
✟11,575.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'd prefer a woman have a fulfilling career and that we share the domestic work load. But I guess that's just me being a silly liberal Christian.
And that works for a lot of people, but other ways work for people just as well.

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, I can make myself financially stable and earn my own money. I don't need or want a man for that. I want a man for companionship and I would not even allow him to provide for me unless I'm somehow rendered unable to work or would be homeless if somebody didn't.

:amen:

Upvote 0