Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Arnold is still undecided. But is expected to decide on Monday.

I'm guessing he won't. The reasons to save Tookie aren't compelling enough (over any other death inmate). And the political pressure from the right is too much, given Arnold's recent appointment of a Democrat as his chief of staff and amends to the left. In fact, by showing that he was willing to meet with Tookie's lawyers and yet still allow for his exeuction, it will emphasize that he has conservative values in mind and give him great political capital amongst the right.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
BOJAX said:
I'm sorry to realize that he probably will.

:(

p.s. mhatten nice sig. phil collins version of that song is the better one.

thanks!

I believe they are both wonderful recordings. I have them both actually.

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess the Terminator will do just that....sadly...
I think locking the guy in a cell with no food for two weeks, then a day of meals, then no meals, or making him participate in some horrid activity would be better punishment.

Upvote 0

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
OddBeani said:
I guess the Terminator will do just that....sadly...
I think locking the guy in a cell with no food for two weeks, then a day of meals, then no meals, or making him participate in some horrid activity would be better punishment.
Why is it better to treat a man like a dog than to kill him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christ Aficionado

Jun 19, 2004
Florida
✟390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Tookie is not spared, then what are the reasons why clemency should be granted to a convicted killer? Insufficient evidence, etc.etc.?? Do good deeds merit clemency? Does being nominated for a Nobel Peace Price mean anything? The Ninth Circuit, explicitly recognizing the difference between its role in rulling on the legal merits, and the Governor's power to grant clemency, stated:

We are aware of Williams's 2001 Nobel Peace Prize nomination for his laudible efforts opposing gang violence from his prison cell, notably his line of children's books, subtitled "Tookie Speaks Out Against Gang Violence," and his creation of the Internet Project for Street Peace...Williams's good works and accomplishments since incarceration may make him a worthy candidate for the exercise of gubernatorial discretion..." (Williams v. Woodford, 384 F. 3d 567, 627).

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Osel said:
If the only redeeming factor of capital punishment (aside from effectively ending any possibility of re-offense) is the deterrence factor, then his followers need to see him cold.

It's never been shown to be a deterrent (very few things are, people don't commit crime with the anticipation of being caught).

Also, his followers, now, are kids who his writings and other work have helped steer clear of gangs. He is certainly no gang figurehead anymore, and seeing him cold isn't going to do any good for anyone.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This person comitted crimes that he could not make amends for.
He was the creator of a national gang, that have killed thousands.
He personally killed a man and laughed as the man choked on his own blood.
He kicked in a door, and killed a family in a motel.

He was sentenced to die for these crimes. When you sentence someone to death, you tell everyone that no matter what a person could do with the rest of their life, they can never pay for the crimes they have done.
So just because he has done good stuff after he is sentenced to die, doesn't mean he should automatically get clemancy.

Swartzenager would have to over rule a jurys decision, and all then judges
that reviewed his case, to decide to spare this life.

Deterance works, otherwise everyone would be stealing, raping or killing.(basically doing whatever they wanted.) But how can there be deterance
when this man killed when he was a teenager and is going to be executed when he is in his 40-50s? YOu don't whip the dog days after he did wrong.
You give swift and just punishment.

People look at "Tookie" and ask "WHy?", I look at his victims and ask, WHY NOT?
I do ask those that happily post of this execution, remember this was someones son, and before he comitted the crimes they had high hopes for him. Execution shoudn't be a happy time. It's a loss to society, both the victim and the condemned could have been great people.
I wish people wouldn't kill others, but as long as they do, we must execute them.

Reactions: Elderado
Upvote 0

LyricalX

Oct 5, 2005
✟820.00
Faith
Agnostic
Tookie created the Crips INITIALLIY out of good intentions. Southside LA was full of all sorts of gangs. The police weren't doing much to stop them, so Tookie decided it was time to take the law into his own hands.

The Crips were made to get rid of all these gangs, it worked at first, but the bigger the gang got the more power hungry they got.

THen the Bloods were formed to stop this power hungry crips.

Tookie doesn't look back on his past with no remorse, he regrets it, thats why he talks to the youth now. And they listen to him.

Who are these gang members more likely to listen to, Tookie or George W Bush?!

Read this

Tookie,
PIXEL.GIF
I am a 20 year old man from Iowa.
The other day I sat down after I watched your movie Redemption and thought about all the things that I've done in my life and counted how many years that I should be in prison. Every day between the age of 18 and 20 I risked getting 25 to life for the things I was doing. I counted the years I should be doing for the other things I did and in 6 months time I racked up well over 300 years doing the minimum time for each crime that I committed. Only through the grace of my higher power whom I choose to call God that didn't happen. As well as no longer living a life of crime or violence I am also a recovering addict. I will have 8 months clean on June 15 -- that is 8 months without the use of any mood changing chemicals. Before I watched the movie I was making plans to start living my old life again. I wanted all the money and girls and respect (or fear) of others -- but after I watched the movie and started to do some research on you, I found that we are not all that different. I realized that I was going down that same road in a hurry. You helped me see that. The only way I can think to close this letter is to try to express my gratitude for the way you touched my life. It is with the utmost respect and gratitude that I say thank you.

Whats done is done

and if he isn't killed, it's not like their going to release him is it?

He'll be writing more books etc.

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billnew said:
This person comitted crimes that he could not make amends for.
He was the creator of a national gang, that have killed thousands.
He personally killed a man and laughed as the man choked on his own blood.
He kicked in a door, and killed a family in a motel.

He was sentenced to die for these crimes. When you sentence someone to death, you tell everyone that no matter what a person could do with the rest of their life, they can never pay for the crimes they have done.
So just because he has done good stuff after he is sentenced to die, doesn't mean he should automatically get clemancy.

Swartzenager would have to over rule a jurys decision, and all then judges
that reviewed his case, to decide to spare this life.

Deterance works, otherwise everyone would be stealing, raping or killing.(basically doing whatever they wanted.) But how can there be deterance
when this man killed when he was a teenager and is going to be executed when he is in his 40-50s? YOu don't whip the dog days after he did wrong.
You give swift and just punishment.

People look at "Tookie" and ask "WHy?", I look at his victims and ask, WHY NOT?
I do ask those that happily post of this execution, remember this was someones son, and before he comitted the crimes they had high hopes for him. Execution shoudn't be a happy time. It's a loss to society, both the victim and the condemned could have been great people.
I wish people wouldn't kill others, but as long as they do, we must execute them.

Great post. I agree.

I just hope they don't have riots, etc. in Los Angeles because of it...

Upvote 0

LyricalX

Oct 5, 2005
✟820.00
Faith
Agnostic
marblehead said:
Why care about what happens to this guy? I don't get it.
He seems worthy of worm food rather than anymore tax money being wasted on him.

I'll tell you why

Because gang warfare still exists in many places in your beloved country.

But as long as it doesn't affect you it doesn't matter right?

Tookie has done many disgusting things. But read my post up the page.

He can make more of a change than ANY politicians can

Upvote 0