Will someone explain the 7 churches that was addressed in Revelations?

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
DB03CB96-1C0D-44B6-875C-4EA420EE54C2.jpeg

Anti trinitarian posts are not allowed in this sub forum.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, confess Jesus is the one sent forth by God, the Messiah-- Every JW does this.
Jesus warned all of you---On account of his name, you would do things against the true followers-Why? Because you don't know the one who sent him=Father=YHWH(Jehovah)-John 15:20-21-- Jesus tells all( John 17:3)--The one who sent him=Father(John5:30) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD---- believe Jesus.
Are you JW?

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.

No.

There is no such thing as 7 denominations.

Back when this was written there was only one denomination: Jesus and His doctrine, which the Apostles passed on and was called the Apostles doctrine.

The 7 churches were 7 Churches in those cities, that John oversaw.

His letter to those churches are just as relevant for us today.

JLB

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, confess Jesus is the one sent forth by God, the Messiah-- Every JW does this.
Jesus warned all of you---On account of his name, you would do things against the true followers-Why? Because you don't know the one who sent him=Father=YHWH(Jehovah)-John 15:20-21-- Jesus tells all( John 17:3)--The one who sent him=Father(John5:30) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD---- believe Jesus.

I have both the Father and His Son, Jesus and now the Holy Spirit. The Father is God; Jesus is God; the Holy Spirit is God.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

kjw47

Oct 9, 2017
upstate NY
✟11,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I have both the Father and His Son, Jesus and now the Holy Spirit. The Father is God; Jesus is God; the Holy Spirit is God.

I guess you can explain to all then how God has a God???? John 20:17, Rev 3:12

Upvote 0

kjw47

Oct 9, 2017
upstate NY
✟11,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I already did. But even the Father called the Son, God in Hebrews 1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
ADMIN HAT ON!!!!!

Thread permanently closed.

ADMIN HAT OFF!!!!!

Why not just edit out the anti-trinitarian posts, because the topic is the seven letters of Revelation 2 and 3. Permanently closing this post is over-kill

Upvote 0

Sey Way

Nov 16, 2018
plainfield
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.[/QUOI
I believe so, and I believe you are right. I had dream shown to me. JESUS was explaining to me the 7 Churches. On white board with the map of the united states, I saw the 7 Churches was associated with the 7 denominations. In my research of the 7 denominations seems to be: Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, Reformed, Anabaptist, Baptist. Out of these 7 you have all other sub-denomination.

• Winner
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

No, but you are close. The wording of the first three have passed and do not continue to the end. The last four do go to the end and overlap.

Thyatira - RCC and Orthodox
Sardis - Reformation
Philadelphia - Bible study churches (holiness)
Laodecia - lukewarm, in name only, very liberal churches.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just did a complete review of all the posts here....this topic is so interesting....and much deeper in meaning than I first anticipated. Thank you everyone for sharing....I have grown a lot since the first time I started this thread. I am on another forum and this came up again....someone taking Revelation 3:10 out of context. But then I come to this forum and find a new reply to this thread. Timing is perfect!

• Prayers
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.
NO!

I read somewhere that there are over 40,000 denomination around the world today so the idea of 7 would not apply.

They were of course literal churches.

They represent spiritual as well as physical contrast for you and me today.

I believe that the 1st reason John used them was to communicate with those literal churches and meet their needs at that time.

Then it seems to me that the 2nd reason would be to reveal the different kinds of people and churches throughout history and teach them in the Word of God.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those churches do represent rather distinct issues you can still see in certain trends in the modern church. The Ephesians were doctrinally pure for instance, very good at running of the wolves but kind of negligent when it came to Pastoral care of the sheep. It's something New Testament expositors have looked at and came to some fairly general conclusions, for instance:

Throughout the history of the church, there have been different types of churches. The Ephesian church is one type of church and so is the Smyrnaean church, the Laodicean church, and the Pergamene church. They represent the seven different types of churches. Basically, all churches fall into one of seven different categories, with some combination of characteristics. Each of those seven types existed in John's day. (The Church in Prophetic Perspective, Grace to You)
Ephesus was the mother church that planted the other six, the Roman road ran in a big circle through Asia Minor. They were some very missionary minded congregations, the ministry of Philadelphia and Smyrna had ministries that spanned hundreds of years. I'd recommend that study as a pretty good starting point. For a more historical perspective I thought this book was especially insightful, a bit heavy on historical detail but still fairly readable:

Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia
by W.M. Ramsay

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah thanks, I have a map and I do know what its called today but was curious why to these and if all in Asia forsaking Paul applied to the same.
They wouldn't have had access to Paul who was imprisoned in Rome. Demus, (2 Timothy 4:10) who had been a minister in Asia Minor had abandoned Paul. At some point Paul was visited by Onesimus, a slave that had escaped his master Philemon, the book of Philemon was sent with Onesimus when Paul urged him to return to his master. They were both Christians and Onesimus is believed to have pastured the church at Ephesus, the Orthodox consider him a saint. You have to feel for Paul in that situation, the churches he founded in Asia Minor and Galatia must have seemed very far away. To lose a ministry partner under those circumstances I'm sure grieved him greatly. They probably kept their distance fearing persecution from Rome, they had faced persecution themselves from time to time. It is disturbing that after Paul spent 3 1/2 years there founding the church at Ephesus they didn't do more to reach out to him. I suppose we just have to remember they were going through some things to.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It seems to me that you are questioning the divinity of Jesus. That would in fact be a teaching of the Jehovah Witnesses group which by the way is not Christian at all as they deny Jesus is the Christ and is God in the flesh.

You see, Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was created by Jehovah as the archangel Michael before the physical world existed, and is a lesser, though mighty, god.
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that when Jesus was incarnated on earth, he was a mere human and not God in human flesh.

Biblically, however, Jesus is eternally God (John 1:1; 8:58; cf. Ex. 3:14) and has the exact same divine nature as the Father (John 5:18; 10:30; Heb. 1:3).

Indeed, a comparison of the OT and NT equates Jesus with Jehovah (compare Isa. 43:11 with Titus 2:13; Isa. 44:24 with Col. 1:16; Isa. 6:1-5 with John 12:41).

Jesus himself created the angels (Col. 1:16; cf. John 1:3; Heb. 1:2, 10) and is worshiped by them (Heb. 1:6).

Rev. 3:12 is really not all that difficult to understand when you grasp the Scriptures above which verify Jesus as the God-Man.

Your question was...…"Why would God call Himself My God"?

It has to do with Christ's relationship to His Father. Even though Christ is the eternal God Himself incarnate, He is still a different person from the Father.

Because the JW's do not believe in the Trinity, that cause them to not understand that the Trinity is made up of 3 Persons.

As a man and as man's representative (Son of Man), Jesus' person was dependent on the Father and, like us, looked to the Father for strength, guidance, wisdom, etc. Therefore, God the Father was the God of Jesus. The Father is the God of the Son, but it doesn't imply inferiority, only a difference in roles of the Godhead itself.

Why would God call Himself "My God"? It has to do with Christ's relationship to His Father. Even though Christ is the eternal God Himself incarnate, He is still a different person from the Father. As a man and as man's representative (Son of Man), Jesus' person was dependent on the Father and, like us, looked to the Father for strength, guidance, wisdom, etc. Therefore, God the Father was the God of Jesus. The Father is the God of the Son, but it doesn't imply inferiority, only a difference in roles.

Colossians 2:9……….
" For in him (Jesus) dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."

• Agree
Upvote 0