• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Will someone explain the 7 churches that was addressed in Revelations?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Heart2Soul, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,006
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,294
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don't think they relate to any denominations; more likely, they represent certain tendencies which variously have characterized professing local churches since the time of the Apostles. We can learn a lot from these verses, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,006
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Okay so I think what you are saying is it is addressing a character profile of which all of us fall into one of those 7. Correct?

4. faroukfarouk

+16,294
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It's about a collective profile, of course, in local churches. But of course an application to the individual can be made also.

5. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    Were the letters to the churches or the angels of the churches?

6. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The Greek word for "angel" can also mean "messenger."

In this case that might mean that the "angels/messengers" are the pastors of the 7 churches. A number of commentators believe that this is the correct interpretation.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. faroukfarouk

+16,294
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The angel of the church is sometimes explained in terms of the spiritual element within the local church to which the mind of God is revealed in guidance through the Word by the Spirit.

8. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    If you just click the number next to the word you can definately use whichever you feel comfortable with :oldthumbsup: Who are these seven pastors/ angels/ messengers of these churches he was writing to would be the question then

9. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks, why then would they be in Asia?

10. faroukfarouk

+16,294
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In the first instance, they were addressed to the ones in Asia.

11. Radagast

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    What number next to the word? I'm just going by what I read in the Greek: Τῷ ἀγγέλῳ τῆς ἐν Ἐφέσῳ ἐκκλησίας γράψον· τάδε λέγει ὁ κρατῶν τοὺς ἑπτὰ ἀστέρας ἐν τῇ δεξιᾷαὐτοῦ, ὁ περιπατῶν ἐν μέσῳ τῶν ἑπτὰ λυχνιῶν τῶν χρυσῶν·

The word ἄγγελος can mean "messenger" and is translated that way in Luke 7:24, Luke 9:52, and James 2:25, among other places.

We don't know their names, as far as I know (not that it matters).

Polycarp was pastor of Smyrna, but that was some years after the Book of Revelation was written.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  12. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    Was that where Paul meant when he spoke of all of Asia turned away from him? Like was he speaking of these specifically?

13. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,914
    Anabaptist
    There are a few online sites that explain the letters to the 7 churches ; some of them would probably give you a better understanding ...
    but no, they don't have any relation to denominations today.

14. faroukfarouk

+16,294
    Non-Denom
    Married
    PS: It's good to remember that Scripture can have multiple applications in terms of its addressees. This is how Paul addresses the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 1.1-3:

"Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ."

15. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    G32

Rev 3:7 And G2532 to the angel G32 of the church G1577 in G1722Philadelphia G5359 write; G1125 T

16. Radagast

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    They were seven specific churches in Asia Minor (what we now call Turkey). But, as someone has already said, the statements made apply to churches all over the world.

[​IMG]

17. mukk_in

mukk_in Yankees Fan Supporter

+3,597
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    Yes, I think that's what the Lord Jesus was referring to. These were seven different churches (not denominations) at different stages in their spiritual growth. Peace in Christ :).

18. Fireinfolding

Fireinfolding ....

+3,332
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah thanks, I have a map and I do know what its called today but was curious why to these and if all in Asia forsaking Paul applied to the same.

19. Radagast

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    That's not what I'm reading, but you can look up the Strong's number here if you like.

20. Radagast

+9,598
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    There were other churches in Asia.

[​IMG]